Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Attire

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Lounge Attire

Currently sat in ANU “Executive Lounge” and myself and my partner soon came to the subject of - what is acceptable to wear in the lounge and what isn’t?
We were given dirty looks as soon as we walked in for what we assume was because we were wearing shorts (we planned on changing before getting to the lounge but didn’t get chance so did so pretty much as soon as we got in).

Theres a large number of people without any sort of collar (polo shirt/shirt) and quite a few with either shorts or tracksuit bottoms on.
On the flip side, there’s also some in here with shirt and suit jackets.

Are shorts acceptable? Should lounge attendees be wearing some form of collar?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Shorts are fine. No collar is fine. You’re going on public transport not getting married.
As long as you are decent and your clothes are clean no one will bat an eyelid.
710 77345, stevie, kaka and 14 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I would say that some shorts are acceptable but that a collar (and tie) are not required. I think as long as you're not dressed in such a way as to cause offense then relaxed attire such as shorts and a polo shirt would be perfectly acceptable. I know that Qantas does have a policy for their domestic lounges but it doesn't specifically exclude shorts, except perhaps in the context of head to toe gym wear: https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...ines/global/en

Given what some people wear both in lounges and on planes it sounds as if you're more than appropriately attired for visiting the lounge!
Stez, Swampz64 and TPRun like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:26 pm

If you were allowed in then you are fine. Don't worry about anyone else.

Palmer
FlyingGames likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I can't believe people even ask questions like this...its not the 1950's.
Dan72, bullroot, orbitmic and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
As with many things in life, those that care don't matter, and those that matter don't care!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The Executive Lounge at ANU is a contract lounge. While most airline lounges don't seem to have a dress code (cf. QF), I have been in a few non-airline affiliated lounges over the years that have had a dress code that was enforced. But as Palmer noted above, if you were admitted to the lounge then your attire was acceptable and I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't care what anyone else thought.
Some lounge dress codes:
https://www.executivelounges.com/blo...our-dress-code
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...ines/global/en
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:44 pm

Wear whatever you are comfortable in. Shorts and t-shirts are absolutely fine. I almost always travel in exactly that.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
It's Antigua, a holiday destination in the Caribbean! Not the Royal Ballet in Covent garden! Having come through the lounge a few weeks back, the staff were so relaxed I can't see anyone bar a few snobs being concerned what you wore!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: none
Are you sure they were really DIRTY looks, and not just disdainful glances? Did they stare, or did they just avert their eyes?

If you are legitimately concerned about what someone else might think, then you have answered your own question. That is, you weren't properly dressed.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by smokie36
I can't believe people even ask questions like this...its not the 1950's.
Oh I believe it. Like the @OP, I was subject to a nasty look from some stuffy guy (in a suit) in NRT when I showed up off a 9 hour flight. I had a Suntori in my basketball shorts and waited my turn for the showers. I scoff when I think about the fact that people get upset about nonexistent dress codes. I see it on cruise forums All. The. Time.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Personally, I would be very happy if airline lounges refused entry to those wearing shorts. I would also like hotel lounges to police their - often quite strict - evening dress requirements more determinedly. As it happens, I also would like it to be the 1950s. But they haven't, they don't, and it isn't. As such, do as you please ^
stevie, thijsseh, RJD1983 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
People need to be less concerned about others and being judgemental, it only leads to less enjoyment of the lounge by all.

There is no formal dress code, as long as what your wearing isn’t overtly offensive and you are comfortable for your flight please feel free to give them dirty looks back.
mikeyfly, JayeJ and volar like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
There seems quite a large market in those who wish it were the 1950s I wonder if there are business opportunities in that?
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Are you sure they were really DIRTY looks, and not just disdainful glances? Did they stare, or did they just avert their eyes?

If you are legitimately concerned about what someone else might think, then you have answered your own question. That is, you weren't properly dressed.
im not sure what your point is between a dirty look and a distainful glance, surely they are effectively the same thing, portraying a dislike through body language, the intpretation of which is subjective.

As for saying that if someone is concerned what others are thinking due to their body language means that you should change, I don’t agree with you I’m afraid.

Originally Posted by Worcester
There seems quite a large market in those who wish it were the 1950s I wonder if there are business opportunities
so far I’ve only seen one post of someone who wanted a lounge of the 1950s, but themed bars we’re popular in London 10-15 years ago so who knows, personally I’d rather comfortable and functional were the desired attributes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.