Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in the media 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
About to board LGW-CUN on my first BA Longhaul Y experience. Luckily the bassinet/Emer exit seat opened up one hour before departure (thank you seat alerts app). I'll report back )
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
A (mostly) positive review of the new WT catering in the Times/Sunday Times.
Hilariously positive, as the main meal's 3 courses are unchanged - the wonders of the power of suggestion!
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Worcester
While it is clearly pushing the boundaries, did he, in fact, break any T&Cs though? I would have thought BA informing Easyjet would put them in a very difficult legal position. Perhaps why they organised an alternative flight back to the UK.
More likely from security as that is who he had the altercation with. Any airport worker has the duty to inform airlines of possible disruptive passengers.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, the whole point is that they thought he may be drunk. The way drunk people react is by nature unpredictable so the suspicion that it might be the case here was probably enough for the policy not to wish to take a chance.
If you're that guy and you are in fact over the limit and know you've just been busted, it's likely that your emotional state may well be all over the place as this has extremely serious ramifications for you (and your family) whatever the outcome. So while it may seem harsh, it may have seemed the sensible precaution at the time.

Either way it's an extremely sad state of affairs. It's unlikely that this guy was the devil incarnate, and not beyond the bounds of possibility that this was a terrible miscalculation or error of judgement. And no decent person willingly wants that to happen to others. So notwithstanding the fact that procedure may well result in his ATPL being revoked, it's a human tragedy imho nontheless.
adrianlondon and subject2load like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Vueling BA codeshare mangles Rimowa case

It's BA in the media by implication: https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ion-ba-vueling

"Passenger's £900 case damaged – but airline refuses compensation. Reader books BA flight, ends up on Vueling and bag ‘looks like someone had taken an axe to it’"

A passenger booked a flight on the BA website but ended up on Vueling from Milan to Barcelona. Vueling managed to seriously damage his metal Rimowa case, and claim they will pay only £50 (contrary to the Montreal Convention where their liability is up to £1,150) (all at current exchange rates).

Those Rimowa cases are nearly indestructible. I find it hard to imagine what sort of airport handling could cause this:

From The Guardian

A further reminder not to fly with Vueling, they don't even follow the law, let alone try to treat you well.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by flatlander
It's BA in the media by implication: https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ion-ba-vueling

"Passenger's £900 case damaged – but airline refuses compensation. Reader books BA flight, ends up on Vueling and bag ‘looks like someone had taken an axe to it’"

A passenger booked a flight on the BA website but ended up on Vueling from Milan to Barcelona. Vueling managed to seriously damage his metal Rimowa case, and claim they will pay only £50 (contrary to the Montreal Convention where their liability is up to £1,150) (all at current exchange rates).

Those Rimowa cases are nearly indestructible. I find it hard to imagine what sort of airport handling could cause this:

From The Guardian

A further reminder not to fly with Vueling, they don't even follow the law, let alone try to treat you well.
Used as a chock?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Used as a chock?
Sure, I can imagine some situation like being crushed between handling vehicles and a wall or similar, but it's hard to imagine any reasonable airport handling doing that.

Even being dropped off a baggage trolley, thrown around on the floor, or similar, would not cause that damage.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sure, I can imagine some situation like being crushed between handling vehicles and a wall or similar, but it's hard to imagine any reasonable airport handling doing that.
Fell off a trolley and then got run over? The first part is pretty common for non-containerised bags.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

Originally Posted by subject2load
More unfortunate media coverage for BA today, prompted by a letter to The Times from London-based gallery owner Michael Hoppen.

Hoppen’s letter is published in today’s edition, together with a fairly lengthy article revolving around his very negative experiences, under the headline “British Airways faces boycott over sticky seats and filthy tables”, and where reference is also made to the (separate) incident concerning bedbugs, widely discussed here on FT and elsewhere.

The Times online sits behind a paywall, but the opening paragraphs of the article can be found here

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...bles-grxmjvmvr

Hoppen says that he has flown BA for many years as a GCH but has “started to use other airlines because its planes have become dirty”.

He also mentions finding “someone’s half-eaten lunch buried deep in the crease on the bed” and goes on to talk of the blanket which had “coffee and wine stains and smelt terrible”.

He says that he has had no response from BA despite having complained “on many occasions” (although the article itself states “the airline said that it had contacted him to apologise”).

Hoppen’s letter letter concludes

I have started voting with my feet. BA executives should try flying American Airlines, Swiss, or All Nippon Airways to see how an airline should greet its clients”.

This was my side bin on G-XLEA on Sunday from LHR to JNB. As you can see, it was dirty (some dry brown liquid) with an empty plastic bottlle lefr from a previous flight. Haven’t put anything inside.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Interesting article in the Telegraph on Passenger Load Factors - Which airlines fly with the most empty seats?

BA is coming out nearly 15% below Ryanair, which isn't overly surprising - they are only 6th from bottom of the airlines included though so could be worse.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA gold
Probably a subject for another thread and discussed elsewhere but will BA's Y densification improve BA's PLF through lower prices or hinder it?

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Interesting article in the Telegraph on Passenger Load Factors - Which airlines fly with the most empty seats?

BA is coming out nearly 15% below Ryanair, which isn't overly surprising - they are only 6th from bottom of the airlines included though so could be worse.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

Even being dropped off a baggage trolley, thrown around on the floor, or similar, would not cause that damage.
Once at JFK I witnessed a passenger being taken to the new luggage room by someone from AA. Their bag (a hardshell polycarbonate job) looked like it had been run over by a steamroller. I had no idea how the damage had happened but if there were any toiletries in there then they might well be everywhere inside after that. The word pancake came to mind because it was that bad. The passenger didn't seem too bothered after getting given a new one.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I figured I’d put this here, although it’s a trip report!

Business Insider report back on a LGW - JFK flight in Y.

Interesting but nothing new to the FT crowd!

British Airways economy class flight to New York, review, pictures - Business Insider
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:51 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
A story emerged today about a FO arrested while over the legal limit for alcohol content just before departure:
https://evoke.ie/2018/04/20/news/wor...ly-drunk-pilot

The FO was preparing for departure to Mauritius, from LGW. Police was called from concerned passengers and the FO was arrested. It was found having 4 times over the legal limit for pilot in alcohol content in his blood.

When was the previous time this happened ? I seem to recall a similar incident happening not so long ago.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
A story emerged today about a FO arrested while over the legal limit for alcohol content just before departure:
https://evoke.ie/2018/04/20/news/wor...ly-drunk-pilot

The FO was preparing for departure to Mauritius, from LGW. Police was called from concerned passengers and the FO was arrested. It was found having 4 times over the legal limit for pilot in alcohol content in his blood.

When was the previous time this happened ? I seem to recall a similar incident happening not so long ago.
I think this may be the recent case with the offending pilot now being officially charged. Also featured in everyone's favourite newspaper (hangs head in shame) BA pilot ?four times over the alcohol limit when he tried to fly' | Daily Mail Online

A British Airways pilot has been accused of trying to fly a packed holiday jet while four times over the alcohol limit. Julian Monaghan, 49, was hauled out of the cockpit by armed police in dramatic scenes after cabin crew feared he was drunk. Concerned staff on the 300- passenger flight called 999 shortly before take-off from Gatwick Airport on January 18.

The Boeing 777 was destined for Mauritius, a 12-hour flight. But Monaghan, a long-serving British Airways first officer, was allegedly drunk when he stepped into the cockpit. Stewards decided to call the police before the aeroplane left the departure gate. Monaghan was arrested and led off the aircraft in handcuffs. The incident delayed the flight’s departure by more than two hours.

A passenger who witnessed the drama aboard BA flight 2063 said: ‘Police rushed on to the plane and headed straight for the cockpit. ‘The first officer was cuffed and led away. A number of passengers were open-mouthed. It’s terrifying to think what might’ve happened.’ Yesterday Sussex Police said: ‘The Crown Prosecution Service has authorised a charge of being over the alcohol limit on board an aircraft. ‘Julian Monaghan was arrested at Gatwick Airport’s north terminal on suspicion of performing an aviation function when the level of alcohol was over the prescribed limit. He is charged with having 86mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood in his system.’ While the drink-drive limit is 80mg, the limit for pilots is 20mg. Monaghan, who divides his time between South Africa and Harmondsworth, West London, is due to appear at Crawley Magistrates’ Court, in Sussex, on June 6. He has not yet been asked to enter a plea.

He joined British Airways, whose motto is ‘To fly, to serve’, in 2001. First officers at the airline typically earn more than £60,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.