Wiki Posts
Search

BA booking through travelup.co.uk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:23 am
Original Poster

BA booking through travelup.co.uk

Hi,

Just looking at a June booking, and travelup is coming up at 930 vs 970 on BA vs 960 on BA hotline. Why and how are they cheaper? Any one got experience of a booking with them.

Thank you all
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:25 am

No experience of them, but for £30 or £40 I'd always book direct. If there are any problems you can then speak directly to BA rather than through your "agent".

Edit: Try Googling Tripdavisor Travelup
markle likes this.

Last edited by SteveF; Jan 13, 2018 at 5:48 am
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
No experience of them, but for £30 or £40 I'd always book direct. If there are any problems you can then speak directly to BA rather than through your "agent".
Depends. If it's a simple booking where there is really minimal likelihood of you needing to change/cancel anything, then might as well save the cash. If you might want to change/cancel etc., then booking direct is definitely a lot easier.

Travelup is a legitimate company and incidentally has hired a number of ex-Monarch commercial and customer service people.

Always do of course check fees etc before you buy.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
If you might want to change/cancel etc., then booking direct is definitely a lot easier.
Or if the flight is cancelled by BA.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: AA
Book with the airline wherever possible even if you save a few £.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:35 am

A number of third party agents do not have live prices
you make a request to book and pay your money and then it either goes through or they come back (usually within 48 hours) and say the fare seen is sold out so you need to pay more money or wait for your money back
Also worth having a look at agents admin fees...need to change a ticket booked with Travelup you will have the fare rules change fee/fare difference plus Travelup charge a minimum administration charge of £75 on top
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Book with BA and submit a claim against their Best Price Guarantee - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../price-promise

A bit of a convoluted route I regularly fly is ALWAYS cheaper on "Carlton Leisure" and every time I book I do it through BA at the higher price, submit my claim for the price difference and get credited the difference back to my card, usually within a couple of days. Its been anything from around £50 - £150 each time.

Obviously check its exactly the same flights, same times and booking class first and that it meets the criteria for the Best Price Guarantee.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UTFB
Book with BA and submit a claim against their Best Price Guarantee - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../price-promise

A bit of a convoluted route I regularly fly is ALWAYS cheaper on "Carlton Leisure" and every time I book I do it through BA at the higher price, submit my claim for the price difference and get credited the difference back to my card, usually within a couple of days. Its been anything from around £50 - £150 each time.

Obviously check its exactly the same flights, same times and booking class first and that it meets the criteria for the Best Price Guarantee.
All great replies. Thank you. Will go down this route!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think a bit of caution should be used on the Best Price guarantee. My suspicion is that Travelup are selling consolidator and special fares, not public fares. So they will have their own conditions and rules which means a direct comparison could be deemed not to be met. For example the BA.com fare may allow changes for a fee, the private fare will not.

That said I really don't recommend these OTA bookings unless you are a thousand percent sure of taking the flight. And if there are AA legs on the trip then even then I'm not convinced, due to their frequent alterations.
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Booked with them the other day. Then found out that there are restrictions on their tickets such as not possible to upgrade
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I had one booking with travelup and they had absolutely the worst customer service when one of the flights was cancelled and my refund took over 6 months...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I had one booking with travelup and they had absolutely the worst customer service when one of the flights was cancelled and my refund took over 6 months...
I wonder how much of that time was between them asking for it from BA and receiving it....:-)
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I've only used them once to book LHR-MAD-BCN where I wanted the LHR-MAD leg on the IB A340. Both BA and IB were pricing up at £1600 (!!) and Travel Up had the fare at £270. I had no problems booking with them and the flights went as planned so didn't need to contact them for anything.

Last edited by Tiffywren; Jan 13, 2018 at 10:42 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by caz312
I wonder how much of that time was between them asking for it from BA and receiving it....:-)
Travel agents process their own refunds, so can technically do so as quickly as issuing the ticket to begin with; they only have to rely on the airline for processing in certain complicated situations. Can't tell if this was one of those though.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Just booked, and have put the price match form in. Will keep you updated with progress. As going to probably be a few points short of silver this year, if I do get the refund at least it will pay for a meal at the airport.

In other news my bookings for 2018 have been in this order First to Kenya, Business to Philadelphia, WT+ New Orleans/Houston......don't think I want to book another one as only going one way!!!!

Last edited by whiteheatsyd; Jan 14, 2018 at 1:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.