Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex DUB not a saving anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Ex DUB not a saving anymore?

Just been pricing up fly/drives to MCO on BA web site for Nov/Dec this year.

It may be that as today is our 11 month return date, that the prices will drop,
but
LHR-DUB-MCO in BA CE and AL Business with Chevy Tahoe is coming out art £5,400 is (two ad, X1 16yo)

Went and priced up DUB-MCO same car, coming out at €6,800 Ouch!

Mind you, on the website some LGW-MCO CW were coming out as £15,000!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
You're probably comparing at the worst possible time - there's an ex-UK sale on with some very generous dates, no ex-Ireland sale, and you're booking a long time in advance, which means that non-sale fares will be quite high as usually the only people booking that far ahead will be desperate to do so.

If you're pricing on EI metal then I'd expect ex-DUB to be relatively more expensive because it's non-stop.

So yes, there usually is a saving, but ex-LHR fares have softened, the pound is weaker, BA is no longer trying to dominate EI (since EI became part of IAG), and you're comparing sale vs. non-sale fares. And after all that, there's only a 25% price difference!
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by Cymro; Jan 11, 2018 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Depends on who has a sale, and to where, as already noted.

ex-DUB on AA can be a bargain (at the right time) but they don’t MCO direct. A scenic routing via PHL or CLT might work, though.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Also, would check what fare buckets are available. Not all fare buckets are released on the first day that flights go on sale. How does the price you have compare with a few days previous?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:44 am

While I agree that the OP is somewhat comparing apples & oranges, I have noticed in the last while that BA are significantly less aggressive in terms of pricing ex DUB. AF/KL and most recently VS are often a fair bit cheaper. Perhaps this is coming from IAG who don’t want BA hugely undercutting EI.

That said, EI’s own business fares are completely out of line compared to the competitors on direct routes. To JFK both DL and AA were over €200 cheaper on the best EI fare I found for May, July or Sept. Same for IAD versus UA or LAX versus ET or even the new PHL route versus AA
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Depends on who has a sale, and to where, as already noted.

ex-DUB on AA can be a bargain (at the right time) but they don’t MCO direct. A scenic routing via PHL or CLT might work, though.
unfortubatly, tge weekend we want to go, AA don’t fly tgat weekend (think it’s a Thanksgiving holiday for the staff) and route back to LHR
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
Also, would check what fare buckets are available. Not all fare buckets are released on the first day that flights go on sale. How does the price you have compare with a few days previous?
its gone up about 1,000 Euros

sone weird pricing from BA LHr-DUB-MCO, one LHR flight £30 cheaper than LGW-MCO, then other flight times, err...£15,000 (not a spelling mistake) more.

some funny BHX to MCO flights on sake, BHX-LHR on err, national express!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:20 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
ex-DUB B2B

Any idea where the definitive ex-DUB guide has gone (the one which told you precisely which flights were truly B2B). I am getting "Page not found" on the link I am using. Thanks in anticipation.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by squeeler
Any idea where the definitive ex-DUB guide has gone (the one which told you precisely which flights were truly B2B). I am getting "Page not found" on the link I am using. Thanks in anticipation.
None are as straightforward as the 200 gates used to be. I did a B2B in Dublin on Thursday, landing at gate 204, getting landside from 1C in about six minutes from doors open, probably another five minutes to get back to security (with no flight connections or fast track open), then held up by an explosives search which took about eight minutes, and was back on the plane in a total of 21 minutes, with boarding nearly complete.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
None are as straightforward as the 200 gates used to be. I did a B2B in Dublin on Thursday, landing at gate 204, getting landside from 1C in about six minutes from doors open, probably another five minutes to get back to security (with no flight connections or fast track open), then held up by an explosives search which took about eight minutes, and was back on the plane in a total of 21 minutes, with boarding nearly complete.
Diolch!

C-W-S had a guide which told us which flight numbers were true backers. I am just not sure where it has gone....to!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I am just not sure where it has gone....to!
Does your saved link have a thread number or a post number?

Might it have been in this thread? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ic-thread.html
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Diolch!

C-W-S had a guide which told us which flight numbers were true backers. I am just not sure where it has gone....to!
It wasn't my thread, but I know the one you mean, it was useful due to LCY-DUBs not always being sequential. However I suspect the timetable may have moved on from that time, so it may be best to use the existing Logistics thread to double check a specific flight pairing there, since that would help others too.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
There are some excellent fares ex Norway to the west coast in F, not that that helps you ex Dublin to Orlando mind...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Does your saved link have a thread number or a post number?

Might it have been in this thread? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ic-thread.html
Indeed it was - and this time the link worked.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I gave ended up going LHr-DUB-MCO and back, as it was cheaper overall than Ex Dublin (BHX to DUB around £500 for three of us, whilst train to London and then tube around £90)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.