Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Please use this thread to post any questions you might have relating to your ex-DUB bookings, such as questions about positioning to/from Dublin before and/or after your ticketed trip, or obtaining tips to ensure smooth flight connections, or the implications of dropping the final sector.

It would be best to focus the discussion on those secondary planning issues, such as logistics and those examples highlighted above. The primary planning issues such as arranging your ex DUB trip and associated fare exploration are probably best posted in the Tier Point Run thread

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 10, 2016 at 4:40 am Reason: update banner
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:32 pm

Ex-DUB J class booking. Can I dump final segment?

We're thinking of booking BA DUB-LHR-SFO-LHR-DUB in J in the summer. It's well over £1.5k cheaper to start the trip in DUB.

I'd heard that BA were trying to close this loophole by giving a massive Avios penalty for not catching the final leg? Is this true or can I just collect my bags in LHR and hop back to NCL with a clear conscience?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
1. You may have difficulty getting bags short checked to LHR

2. Recent reports indicate that TA's have been penalised for inadvertantly allowing customers to do this and may pass fines onto customers.

3. You may risk Avios and TPs not being credited.

4. It is rare but you could have your account suspended and all Avios forefited if BA deemed it so.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:39 pm

Ex-DUB J class booking. Can I dump final segment?

Best bet is to book the final segment on EI LGW-DUB (or perhaps BA LCY-DUB). That way you don't have to try to explain why you want your bags short checked.

If you book it yourself on ba.com (or other online agent like Expedia or Orbitz) then there haven't been any reports of consequences. Don't book through a travel agent though, there have been reports of consequences for agents with a high rate of this.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Sorry to piggy back of this thread but I have a similar question.
Do not wish to incur of wrath of BA since I am Gold and wanting to stay so.

Any views about this plan.

Use aa.com
1) DUB-JFK direct on AA (I don't mind putting up with the old 757 J seats for a day flight.
2) JFK-LHR direct on AA (its a 772 but with the new 1-2-1 seating configuration)
3) LCY-DUB on BA (less than 24 hours after arriving in LHR which I may have trouble difficult making)
AA does quote me a decent sale fare for this.

In my view, this is more an AA booking rather than a BA. I have always entered BAEC details direct into aa.com without issues. It about how much the BA booking system talks to the AA one.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
yankee_cop - welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you here.

The issue about baggage is fairly robustly confirmed. Your plan can only reliably work if you are prepared to go hand baggage only. SFO have form for checking bags all the way to DUB regardless of what you may ask for.

The rest is more in the conjecture / direction of travel stuff, but it's not looking good for those who drop the last leg. I would not recommend doing a fare like this unless you are prepared either to do the whole trip, or live with the consequences.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
You are being quoted a price on the basis of starting and ending your trip in DUB. Finishing in LHR would cost more, so I don't think BA would be over the moon about your plan... I haven't heard of anyone being taken to court to pay the difference but I have heard of BA suspending the right of a travel agent to issue tickets with them and a debt notice being issued for the difference. They also told the most famous BAEC blogger that they want to/are planning to crack down on it. Cost to BA of suspending your BAEC account?

I understand AA have a specific condition that dropped last sectors can lead to all frequent flyer miles for the whole trip being forfeited. If you choose to drop that last flight you take your chances, however unlikely it is that you will pay a price.

volenti non fit injuria.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by yankee_cop
We're thinking of booking BA DUB-LHR-SFO-LHR-DUB in J in the summer. It's well over £1.5k cheaper to start the trip in DUB.

I'd heard that BA were trying to close this loophole by giving a massive Avios penalty for not catching the final leg? Is this true or can I just collect my bags in LHR and hop back to NCL with a clear conscience?
This question has been asked soooo many times, and it attracts the same rather mealy-mouthed responses about running the risk of this and that, probably OK if you do it only once or twice etc etc.

In fact, I don't believe any individual has been pulled up by the revenue protection squad for ditching the final sector. Not to say it won't ever happen, but there's a can of worms BA probably doesn't want to open.

An agent who'd carved a niche selling ex-EU tickets, many of which were not flown completely, has been hauled over the coals: probably pour encourager les autres.

But hey, here's a novel approach - you're saving a wadge of cash, so why not play the game and take that last flight, and get yourself home from Dublin? The inconvenience is the trade off for your £1 500. You'll neutralise any worries, sleep easier at night AND get an extra helping of TPs and avios
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA
On the specific topic of collecting bags, what happens if SFO check your bags to DUB but you do not travel on the DUB flight. Am I right to think they will be offloaded as you're not travelling with your luggage?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlbaGuBrath
On the specific topic of collecting bags, what happens if SFO check your bags to DUB but you do not travel on the DUB flight. Am I right to think they will be offloaded as you're not travelling with your luggage?
They are indeed offloaded (or rather, in T5, not loaded to begin with, if you haven't got that far in Ready to Fly). They could still be sent to Dublin at a later date, after another security check, for collection by the passenger. OK, that doesn't normally happen, it's just a risk, the more usual outcome is waiting in T5 for the bags to be returned on the Arrivals carousels in due course.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I would also expect a notation against your name/BAEC # ie a Black Mark
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AlbaGuBrath
You are correct as passenger/baggage reconciliation is meant to be an absolute. However you will have to wait around for a while after the flight has departed to collect your bags and will not be too popular (if in fact you care). As someone who doesn't like my flight delayed due to baggage offloads, this is something I would not wish to inflict on others, however YMMV.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by KenJohn

In my view, this is more an AA booking rather than a BA. I have always entered BAEC details direct into aa.com without issues. It about how much the BA booking system talks to the AA one.
It IS an AA booking isn't it ??

And I think what you're asking is if AA will know you ditch the final sector of your itinerary, LHR DUB, operated by BA.

I'm sure they can find out, if they wish to. AA is rumoured to have a more robust approach to encouraging passengers to complete their journey as ticketed: but I doubt this would extend to persuading BA to strip you of your BAEC status.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
This question has been asked soooo many times, and it attracts the same rather mealy-mouthed responses about running the risk of this and that, probably OK if you do it only once or twice etc etc.

In fact, I don't believe any individual has been pulled up by the revenue protection squad for ditching the final sector. Not to say it won't ever happen, but there's a can of worms BA probably doesn't want to open.

An agent who'd carved a niche selling ex-EU tickets, many of which were not flown completely, has been hauled over the coals: probably pour encourager les autres.

But hey, here's a novel approach - you're saving a wadge of cash, so why not play the game and take that last flight, and get yourself home from Dublin? The inconvenience is the trade off for your £1 500. You'll neutralise any worries, sleep easier at night AND get an extra helping of TPs and avios
There have been reports of this happening but the reports are from quite some time ago. Some of the reports coincided with reports of travel agents being issued ADMs.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24461969-post172.html
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
As someone who doesn't like my flight delayed due to baggage offloads, this is something I would not wish to inflict on others, however YMMV.
As CWS explained, the baggage won't be loaded in the first place (if flying BA LHR to DUB) if the passenger just gets off in LHR without going through connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.