Search

Which HEL lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Which HEL lounge?

Dear all,

Am I right in thinking that as silver in Club Europe the only HEL lounge we can use is the ‘almost @ home’ one and not the Finnair or premium ones?

many thanks!

Last edited by muggle; Jan 9, 2018 at 4:38 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:39 am

The Finnair non-Schengen lounge is a oneworld J lounge, so Silver on a oneworld flight gets you in. The premium lounge is Gold/Emerald only.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
As per the oneworld website the Finnair lounges as "Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline."

and access is Access: Business Class / First Class / Sapphire Tier / Emerald Tier

So I believe you would have access as business class on a one world airline

If you try the one at gate 22 they would recommend you use a lounge in the non-Schengen part of the airport.

The Finnair premium lounge however would not be accessible unless you have OW emerald.

This lounge is exclusively for oneworld Emerald card holders and their guests.
Access: First Class / Emerald Tier

If I am wrong then someone will correct me shortly.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you - is that better than the ‘almost @ hone’ one?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I thought the non premium lounges were actually better. A few different food and drink selections and some were more substantial.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:50 am

I couldn't for the life of me understand why, but as a non-status CE passenger, I was denied access to the Finnair lounge and directed to the ‘almost @ home’ one.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
From years of experience on this route I can tell you that CE non status/bronze pax will always be directed to the almost@home Lounge. Silver/Gold will always get entry to the premium lounge on the BA795 morning flight whilst depending on how busy the premium lounge is BA silvers may get entry before the BA799 afternoon flight, otherwise it would be the Finnair business lounge. If on the afternoon flight try to check in as early as you can if you want to try to get into the premium lounge, my partner is Silver and if he gets there before 3pm he will get premium entry. You may get lucky as check in opens sometimes 2.30pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things

Premium longe breakfast Sunday morning last week.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:29 am

In November I got entry to the Finnair lounge as a Silver flying in Y on Finnair. This was at local lunchtime, connecting to the AY6 to JFK. It was quite a nice lounge. Quiet and decent food.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Odd, I was sent to the Finnair lounge on my flight back last week... it was RAMMED. There were people wandering around looking like they were ready to fight for each seat.

It did quieten down a bit later, but had my flight not been delayed, it would have been crazy from when we arrived to when we left.

I was going to sneak into the premium (it's just past the showers), but I couldn't be bothered in the end.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by RG1X
Odd, [...]
No, it's not odd, there is a reason. HEL has two main outbound waves - one in the morning (flights to Europe) and one in the afternoon (flights to Asia).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by _nate
I couldn't for the life of me understand why, but as a non-status CE passenger, I was denied access to the Finnair lounge and directed to the ‘almost @ home’ one.
That’s how it works at HEL. CE only entitles you to this lounge. AY honour their OW obligations, but these are to status passengers only.

Note BA don’t pay for premium security but AY do.

Welcome to HEL!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
As mentioned the Finnair non-Schengen lounges are very crowded around 3pm until 5pm as the majority of Finnair's Asia-bound flights leave around 5pm. Outside these hours they sometimes let OWS use the premium side as well which is pretty nice. The premium lounge even has a few a la carte food options although the menu might be hidden and you must know to ask the staff for the options.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by florens
No, it's not odd, there is a reason. HEL has two main outbound waves - one in the morning (flights to Europe) and one in the afternoon (flights to Asia).
No, I meant odd that I was directed there as a non status passenger when others seem to get directed to @ Home.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by RG1X
No, I meant odd that I was directed there as a non status passenger when others seem to get directed to @ Home.
Ah - ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.