Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
LGW-FCO 9TH Aug
Gate 12

Only two lanes out but then this came across the tannoy. Families with children and PRM boarded 1st, then G1 & 2 ( covering Gold-Bronze on short haul). Decided to wait a little just to see and indeed 5 people sent away at the end of the lane. The following was announced when they said they were about to start boarding.

"Please note we will be boarding strictly by boarding group numbers. Please do not approach the lanes if your group has not been called as you will be asked to take a seat again" - I actually stopped to thank her for being so proactive and enforcing the rules.

FCO-LGW 13TH Aug
Gate E14

2 LANES: 1 snaking line and 1 ( straight line) priority lane. Announcement made about boarding groups but simply that they existed nothing more. Families with young children and PRM 1st however in this case one extended family unit of 12 all allowed to board at once with children I'd guestimate to be between 14-18 and one old lady who I guess was the PRM. Boarded straight away after seeing that level of control so unsure on enforcement levels.

@Sealink maybe agent was on a summer job and was studying history so wanted to know about said archaic device
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Total shambles returning from Nantes last week. The gate staff clearly didn't understand the system at all.

There was a tannoy announcement saying that families and priority passengers (no group numbers mentioned at all) would board first, followed by Group 4. All most people heard was something about Group 4.

Predictable result: a free-for-all.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:21 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
EDI-LHR last night. Gate 10. One combined line for Groups 1,2 and 3 - about 32 passengers in a narrow lane hemmed in by tensa barriers. Another for groups 4 and 5. Group 1 called and the Group 1 passengers tried to move forward but were defeated. Groups 2 and 3 then called. I suspect that Group 1 people would arrive only just in time for boarding so such arrangements would negate any potential priority.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Blue
Recent experience at STR: Ground staff were looking at BPs and directing people to the left if 1-3 or right if 4 and 5. The gate BA usually uses there is, essentially, two gates (343 and 344), each having a door leading down the same jetty. Opened the door for 1-3 first and once they were boarded they opened the other door for the rest of the passengers, as the majority of this flight was group 4+5 that became a free for all.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA2708 LGW BCN Friday 14 Sept. Flight delayed by around 20 minutes. Boarding passes checked to allow access to a waiting area. Then boarding announcement along the lines of the flight is now ready for boarding please make your way onto the plane. One big rush for the jetway from all waiting.

BA2707 BCN LGW Sunday 16th Sept. 3 muddled queues, uncertain what was what as the signage was poor and the queues confused. Announcement went something like we board by group number, and now I’d like to invite our premium passengers to board. Completely illogical, by group, premium passengers. I watched around 60 people board whilst the 2 main queues, I think 3 and 4/5 waited.

I don’t much care how they do it, but I do dislike this pretence that they board by group and care about it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Exec Club - Gold, HH - Diamond, Club Carlson - Gold, IHG - Spire
Is there any updates on how it'll reflect within groups?
I wonder how well this is being handled in practise, quoting from the main priority boarding wiki.

"Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together."

I have a party of 6 flying a domestic connection onto a euro traveller fare with a 1 night stopover in London on the outbound. We have one gold member, one silver and 4 blues. Any guesses as to how the priority boarding groups will be allocated for my travelling party? I only really travel with a +1 at most!

Not the best number to have either for lounge access, although 2 will be in the priority pass lounge, 2 in the club galleries and 2 in the first galleries! I can use the first class check in at T5, however i assume 4 will have to use the standard security lanes.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Now the IT system has been fixed so passengers on the same PNR no matter their status now all get the group number of the highest ranked passenger I wonder if the group boarding process will be tightened up to prevent anyone who is not in the right group from boarding...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
My Latest experience:

T5A, Gate A15, domestic flight. A Tensa barrier closed off the entrance to all lanes, so everyone was stood/seated around the A15/A16 area outside of the lanes. A call of “it’s a busy flight, please check your bags for free and pre-board” was made.

Then, no children under 2, no mobility restricted persons calls were made. “Boarding is now open.” The entrance to the lanes was then opened but all lanes permitted through BP scanners at once. Predictable scrum. Flight then departed late.

I made a polite .com complaint that the investment in group boarding IT and boarding lanes, was nullified if gate agents chose not to use the group system, it slowed boarding and resulted in a delayed departure. I received a call apologising and stating that the gate team would receive appropriate retraining.

Whether that retraining has any basis in reality, who knows, but if the company has spent cash on the group boarding system, why not use it. Maybe the gate agents have authority to say “it would be slower” so we chose not to.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by firstlight
Now the IT system has been fixed so passengers on the same PNR no matter their status now all get the group number of the highest ranked passenger I wonder if the group boarding process will be tightened up to prevent anyone who is not in the right group from boarding...
I dont know if this has been observed before, but I noticed that when travelling with a friend (Blue) on different bookings, he had been given Group 1 status. (ET/WTP class)

I had done a TCP and made a seat request via the Gold line, but I was surprised to see him inherit my group as well. Nice touch by BA if this is deliberate rather than their legendary IT...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I dont know if this has been observed before, but I noticed that when travelling with a friend (Blue) on different bookings, he had been given Group 1 status. (ET/WTP class)

I had done a TCP and made a seat request via the Gold line, but I was surprised to see him inherit my group as well. Nice touch by BA if this is deliberate rather than their legendary IT...
We have an upcoming flight with a TCP on 2 different bookings in a week and will see if we both get group 1...
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:15 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BertieBadger

We have an upcoming flight with a TCP on 2 different bookings in a week and will see if we both get group 1...
I was travelling with a Blue member on a TCPd booking in ET a week ago - his BP showed as Group 1 on both flights. He got a BP print at the First Wing at T5 where I wondered if they’d forced something over, but a simple OLCI and self-print coming out of HAM produced the same result - and it even seemed to work with the agent at the Fast Track security desk.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yeah, I wondered this too post IT fix. I'm flying soon with a friend in adjacent seats in J but who is on a different booking, and am not sure if she will be able to board with me in Group 1 even though her BP will say Group 2.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Horatio
Yeah, I wondered this too post IT fix. I'm flying soon with a friend in adjacent seats in J but who is on a different booking, and am not sure if she will be able to board with me in Group 1 even though her BP will say Group 2.
As you are gold you can phone up to get her ticket TCP'd with yours and it looks from a previous post like the group she gets will be the same as yours...
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Just had this happen to us, gold and silver but booked by me in economy, and we both have Gp1 BPs. Is this a new initiative, or was it the intention when group boarding was introduced but the IT has only just caught up? BA website still talks about different groups within one booking.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Travelled to Rome last week with a group of friends on the new LCY>FCO>LCY route and was quite impressed with the boarding experience at FCO..
At FCO, although Group 2 on my boarding pass, I waited to board with the only member of our group who was in Group 4 so I got to see the process.
There was one Priority Lane marked out at the right hand side of the gate and a General Boarding "snaking" line marked out with tensa barriers on the left.
The gate area was pretty spacious so most of the passengers were seated, except for one gentleman who stood at the front of the general boarding tensa line. As the flight was delayed by 20 minutes he stood for quite a while.
The announcements about boarding appeared to be pre-recorded and I was amazed at how clear these were and at a volume sufficiently loud to be heard above the general background noise. I am not sure how feasible it would be to do the same elsewhere as it was so much easier to understand what was going on. The recorded announcement to call Group 1 was made first and a few people went through the priority lane on the right. Group 2 and 3 were then called and the rest of my colleagues boarded. By this time, the general boarding queue had built up, however, my friend and I waited until most of them had gone through before we joined the end of the queue.
This was my first visit to Rome and overall I was pretty impressed with FCO. Through security and passport control at departure in less than 5 minutes, and clear, organised boarding. Amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.