Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
boarding the BA 2775 JER-LGW yesterday from gate 11 no priority for extra assistance or parents with small children, actually there was no announcements at the gate whatsoever just the door opened and the surge began to the Aircraft (it was a full flight due to 2 flights being consolidated) I do know this Airport is status heavy but surely some control should be exercised particularly for extra assistance passengers and those with small children.
John
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
She did a brief DYKWIA turn about her Bronze status before standing to one side.
Yes, I had this at CPH a couple of weeks ago. I guess for a lot of Bronze (and maybe a few Silver card holders), they could still be on their first flight since the new boarding by group was created so it might come as a surprise.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Yes, I had this at CPH a couple of weeks ago. I guess for a lot of Bronze (and maybe a few Silver card holders), they could still be on their first flight since the new boarding by group was created so it might come as a surprise.

Also since bronze was introduced they are used to boarding first, as most silver/gold would have been waiting in the lounge
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:15 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I guess for a lot of Bronze (and maybe a few Silver card holders), they could still be on their first flight since the new boarding by group was created
Months from now there will still be passengers in every group who are experiencing the new process for the first time. Even some Gold card holders regularly go many months without flying BA.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
Months from now there will still be passengers in every group who are experiencing the new process for the first time. Even some Gold card holders regularly go many months without flying BA.
I can't bear though, peoples complete obliviousness to procedures. How can people miss the signage, the announcements, the big group number on their boarding pass?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sealink
How can people miss the signage, the announcements, the big group number on their boarding pass?
"I fly all the time, don't you know? And I know it all already. Announcements are for peons."
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:33 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
IHow can people miss the signage, the announcements, the big group number on their boarding pass?
The experiences reported above suggest that in many cases signs have yet to be deployed and announcements are inadequate or missing. Of course you're right to observe that some people won't or can't follow procedures, but at the moment those procedures aren't consistently in place.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I can't bear though, peoples complete obliviousness to procedures. How can people miss the signage, the announcements, the big group number on their boarding pass?
It's easy for people to turn a blind eye on their boarding pass if it might get them in faster
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In my experience LHR has some of the worst implemented group boarding in the BA network for some reason despite having the required lanes design. People just queue in arrival order wherever they are (with no interest for group numbers) especially at the B and C satellites. In that sense, the rightly notorious British fascination for queuing works as to worsen the boarding experience as it seems that in people's minds, queuing trumps grouping. I do not understand why no one is trying to police it, not even with announcements etc. On an A380, it makes for truly chaotic boarding experience.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I flew 7 S/H flights last week and the only one to enforce the new system was Amsterdam to LCY. Admittedly, some were bus transfer which makes it difficult if not impossible to control.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In my experience LHR has some of the worst implemented group boarding in the BA network for some reason despite having the required lanes design. People just queue in arrival order wherever they are (with no interest for group numbers) especially at the B and C satellites. In that sense, the rightly notorious British fascination for queuing works as to worsen the boarding experience as it seems that in people's minds, queuing trumps grouping. I do not understand why no one is trying to police it, not even with announcements etc. On an A380, it makes for truly chaotic boarding experience.
Because no BA manager's bonus is at stake... I really do think it's that simple.

Group Boarding is becoming a Blairite-style policy: announced to great fanfare so that it looks like they're doing something then being allowed to wither and die
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Fitch
Because no BA manager's bonus is at stake... I really do think it's that simple.

Group Boarding is becoming a Blairite-style policy: announced to great fanfare so that it looks like they're doing something then being allowed to wither and die
But initially, it seemed the group boarding helped speed up the boarding process So I don't get your point.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
The group number is actually quite small on the app BP. When I first experienced the process late February I had no idea where to find my group.

Also, signage at hip level is no good when 50/60 people are standing in front of it.

The LHR-GLA-LHR route I did had very poor communication. The boarding "process" wasn't clearly announced. Groups were called within minutes of each other so the prior group did not clear before the next one was called and there was no enforcement of group ordered boarding.

No wonder passengers, new or old, have no clue what's going on. It's badly implemented, poorly enforced, and seems to be making boarding a longer, more tedious process than ever before.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
The group number is actually quite small on the app BP. When I first experienced the process late February I had no idea where to find my group.

Also, signage at hip level is no good when 50/60 people are standing in front of it.

The LHR-GLA-LHR route I did had very poor communication. The boarding "process" wasn't clearly announced. Groups were called within minutes of each other so the prior group did not clear before the next one was called and there was no enforcement of group ordered boarding.

No wonder passengers, new or old, have no clue what's going on. It's badly implemented, poorly enforced, and seems to be making boarding a longer, more tedious process than ever before.
So fare I've only experienced the new boarding process once at Heathrow and my thinking was along the lines of yours.

Is it so difficult to say before boarding (and repeat it during the boarding process) something like: "Ladies and gentlemen, some of you may not be familiar with our new boarding process. Your boarding pass contains a group number. Please take note. There are a number of lanes corresponding to your group. Please make sure you're in the right queue. Should you have any questions, blah blah".
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
But initially, it seemed the group boarding helped speed up the boarding process So I don't get your point.
Point being that when a big new policy/process is promulgated in any organisation, there is a tendency in the early days for most staff to visibly comply because they don't know the consequences of not doing so.

However, people being people, over time many slip back into the old ways of doing things. All of this is to be expected and it's why we set performance targets for managers so that they will go out of their offices and chivvy staff along !

Without that push over a sustained period (which admittedly is a long, hard slog), you never get to the point where the "new way of doing things" becomes just "the way it's done".

From the anecdotal reports in this thread and elsewhere (statistically insignificant but nonetheless suggestive) it would appear that the above is a plausible explanation for the observed behaviours...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.