Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best special meal choice for gluten and dairy intolerant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold Elite, Le Club Accor Platinum

Is there any advice for the best special meal choice for someone who is gluten and dairy intolerant? We have been through the special meal types but none seem to handle the case of both.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I used to order the gluten free meal (in Y long-haul), and found that the meal was also used for dairy free, diabetic, low calorie, and possibly other options. It was usually a basic fish or chicken with rice, and gluten and dairy free (and flavour free as well). The starter was some sort of salad and dessert was usually a few slices of fruit.

If you are strictly avoiding certain things, I recommend bringing ample snacks or additional food as I've had them serve me things that were clearly not gluten free (package marked wheat).
Strattonflyer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
It helps to know which route and class.

My wife requires GF, and tries to avoid dairy if she can. Our recent experiences were a TATL in F, where she was able to pick a regular F meal in advance by perusing the "chefs chat" sheet, which list all allergens in the dishes. Also a CE to Berlin with a domestic connection, she was given a caprese salad on all four legs, which while GF obviously had mozzarella cheese in it. It was the vegetarian meal too I believe.
Also just had a WT/WT+ TATL, where the GF meal was bland chicken/rice both legs. Her breakfast before UK arrival was especially poor, to the point where the CSM brought a fruit platter from F for her !

As mentioned above, one special meal probably covers a few bases..............
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold Elite, Le Club Accor Platinum
Thanks for the replies and advice. Our next trip is CE HER->LGW on 8/12, then LHR->YYC on 8/18 in WTP. We have the gluten free special meals ordered for both at the moment.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by Strattonflyer
Thanks for the replies and advice. Our next trip is CE HER->LGW on 8/12, then LHR->YYC on 8/18 in WTP. We have the gluten free special meals ordered for both at the moment.
Not sure if catering is loaded from the outstation at HER, or carried from the UK, but as mentioned my wife had a CE GFML with cheese in it. WT+ from LHR will obviously be loaded from there and would likely be fine.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Not sure if catering is loaded from the outstation at HER, or carried from the UK, but as mentioned my wife had a CE GFML with cheese in it. WT+ from LHR will obviously be loaded from there and would likely be fine.
All CE is catered from London, so there is a risk that the generic Vegetarian etc meal would be loaded. See the Club Europe meals thread (in the Dashboard) for recent examples, you want to look at Long routes at the end of the thread. Given that HER is a relatively long European flight, I would perhaps think of bringing some cheap and good quality fruit and vegetable available in Crete.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:37 am

GF meals

My husband also has a gluten allergy. We call the GF offering "the meal that will offend no one"- he has had good results ordering carefully from regular menu and removing croutons, sauces, etc. (however he seems to tolerant exposure to very minor amounts of gluten so this works for him- someone with a serious allergy should not take this route)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MissingContinental
. We call the GF offering "the meal that will offend no one"
Or lowest common denominator, would be another way of putting it For very regular travellers it's a bigger nuisance since they see very little variation in meals over the course of the year. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum MissingContinental, it's good to see you here, and I hope that we will see more of you.
MissingContinental likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:44 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
My partner and I are flying SFO-LHR in F. He’s also, like others upthread, gluten-free and trying for dairy-free as well. Is it better to just adjust the onboard offering or request GF special meal and then ask for the regular menu as possible? I want him to have a fun F experience — but also to be able to eat...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, United MP member, Marriott Reward Silver member, IHG, KimptonKarma
I noticed just today that there is a low lactose special meal. Has anyone ordered this in CW? We are flying LHR-SAN return Nov 2019
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
My partner and I are flying SFO-LHR in F. He’s also, like others upthread, gluten-free and trying for dairy-free as well. Is it better to just adjust the onboard offering or request GF special meal and then ask for the regular menu as possible? I want him to have a fun F experience — but also to be able to eat...
Searched this forum for 'gluten' looking for an answer myself - did you fly yet? What did you end up doing?

I'm coeliac, and flying LHR-SYD soon, F there, J back, so considering the best policy here. I've read mixed responses as to whether if you choose a special meal you can refuse it and ask for something else (in a premium cabin).

I've read the F special meals are just CW meals replated, and that there's somthing called "chef's chat", which details allergens, so tempted to be able to have a steak (with no gravy) rather than a vegan salad. The worst part I've found in Y is missing out on the dairy, as they lump this in with dairy-free unfortunately.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:02 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
Searched this forum for 'gluten' looking for an answer myself - did you fly yet? What did you end up doing?
My partner ended up simply ordering off the F menu and did pretty well. It's now been about a month and I've forgotten what he ordered, but I think it was a beef main course. Ultimately, he decided better to try to cobble something together off the menu versus special order something that was an unknown and potentially not very tasty.
likethis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.