Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adverts on Print Your Own Boarding Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by gms
The BPs I printed this morning have the Group section (still blank!), but have a huge advert at the bottom of the page.
Really? I looked through the two or three boarding pass PDFs of the last six months or so (I rarely print them) and none of them had any advertisement.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I must try using A5 paper ... I have a 500-sheet pack that hardly ever gets used these days. Thanks for the tip!

And always on my trusty old monchrome laser. As noted upthread, one low (colour) cartridge on my ink-jet and it refuses to print!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:58 am
gms
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Really? I looked through the two or three boarding pass PDFs of the last six months or so (I rarely print them) and none of them had any advertisement.
Yep. Here you go ... I've disguised the name of the company in case Flyertalk think I am trying to advertise here

I checked back in my email. My BPs in December had no adverts. The ones from Sept-Nov did have adverts. This reminded me of another annoying factor here ... when BA get the formatting slightly wrong and the BP (or really just the advert) comes out on a second page! More wastage this time simply due to BA's incompetence!

FlyerTalker688786 likes this.

Last edited by gms; Jan 5, 2018 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
And always on my trusty old monchrome laser. As noted upthread, one low (colour) cartridge on my ink-jet and it refuses to print!
If you can do without colour, then black&white laser printers are IMO the way to go. Either you print so little that you take advantage of the toner not drying out (while ink will) or print so much that it will be more economical thank ink.
T8191 and ppp909 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If anyone needs some ink, I have a whole load of HP printer cartridges from the Tesco's mistake club card pts last year ;-)
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:18 am

I tend to just print mine at the airport. I like having a physical copy, but I've never really needed to print them at home.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Is the page shown as HTML then printed (rather than served as PDF that is then printed, like Easyjet) ?

If so, does an adblocker prevent the ad from loading? Or, can the ad element be added to the adblocker block list for a long-term solution?

​​​​​​(I very rarely PYOB so I don't actually know how BA does it - I check in online and get one from machinery or people at the airport)
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
If you get angsty about replacing colour ink cartridges then I recommend adding a monochrome laser. We have both, and the seemingly inexhaustible toner cartridge that can be relied on after children have depleted colour printer is a great saver of stress when you just have to print.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737

One can get the phone ready for the payment process as one approaches the gate. Not getting the phone ready is the equivalent of not getting your card out of the wallet.
Doesn't matter, the reader takes a lot longer to read a phone pay app than it does a contactless card. Doubtless someone in the know can explain why.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by rapidex
I check in on line then print my boarding pass at the airport.let BA pay for the ink and paper.
BA uses thermal paper, so there's no actual ink, but I get what you mean...

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As long as BA provide other alternatives then you can't blame them for selling advertising space.
The objection is the size and colour density of the advert; in the example a few posts back there is a large blue box that when printing on an inkjet printer will (a) consume a lot of expensive ink, (b) take longer to print, and (c) take longer to dry.

Fine, sell adverts on PYOBPs - but please could they be relevant and consider the resources of the customer printing them?
gms likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
If you get angsty about replacing colour ink cartridges then I recommend adding a monochrome laser. We have both, and the seemingly inexhaustible toner cartridge that can be relied on after children have depleted colour printer is a great saver of stress when you just have to print.
Hah. My ancient Brother HL-1250 laser recently expired after 15 years or more, despite replacing the drum and toner. I managed to snap up a reconditioned replacement for c. £90, thus also now having a drum and toner in reserve!

The only reason I have an inkjet multi-function printer is for the scan/copy function. Ghastly little things!!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flatlander
Is the page shown as HTML then printed (rather than served as PDF that is then printed, like Easyjet) ?

If so, does an adblocker prevent the ad from loading? Or, can the ad element be added to the adblocker block list for a long-term solution?

​​​​​​(I very rarely PYOB so I don't actually know how BA does it - I check in online and get one from machinery or people at the airport)
I think the BP is a PDF file inserted in the HTML page. So the adblocker can not block the ad even though the BP is opened in the web browser in a HTML environment as the physical location of the BP is part of the PDF file within the HTML page...(I hope my description makes sense?)
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Fine, sell adverts on PYOBPs - but please could they be relevant and consider the resources of the customer printing them?
While we're at it... I hate intrusive ads on webpages, that's why I use an adblocker. And the worst culprit... FlyerTalk! When they realise they need to tone them down, I will remove the blocker or whitelist the site. Until then...

What I really don't understand is the number of people here saying they 'need' to print out a BP and then whingeing about the ink, paper, inconvenience, etc. I can honestly say I've never printed one for BA, I just get a small one at the airport. Easy. That's one of the reasons I try not to fly Ryanair.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by navylad
If anyone needs some ink, I have a whole load of HP printer cartridges from the Tesco's mistake club card pts last year ;-)
301’s? I’m in
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Petty

It may sound petty because it is. But still annoying to waste ink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.