Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A tale of two bags; one early one AWOL on a MAN-LHR flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

tale of two bags.

On the BA1375 MAN-LHR. Arrived into London and my cabin sized trolley bag appeared, 20 minutes before any other bag. My luck is in I thought.

Only to be dashed when everyone else has gone on their merry way and my larger bag failed to appear.

Incredible nice of BA to think about my back and carrying that bag home though by couriering my bag once they find it, only trouble is I’m flying to NUR tomorrow for the weekend (for the bargain £100 in J) and then away with work for the week; how I miss being in an apartment with concierge in London.

Out of interest, what are the rules about claiming essentials when your travelling to the address on file? As it is a work address, I has been bringing a selection of clothes with me for the couple of weeks until I got back to Manchester...
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by navylad
Out of interest, what are the rules about claiming essentials when your travelling to the address on file? As it is a work address, I has been bringing a selection of clothes with me for the couple of weeks until I got back to Manchester...
I think it's more about commonsense than rules. If you are going home now I think there is some expectation that you have enough clothes to keep you going. If your delayed bag had your one and only winter coat then that's another matter. There have been some limited cases where going home did allow for a claim, and in terms of the Montréal Convention it is implied there too. The case I recall was someone claiming (and getting) a replacement electric razor, which raised my eyebrows somewhat. I guess if you do have to buy some items then you would perhaps get things that you could afford to spend anyway, just in case your claim is denied.

I'm glad to see another person supporting what I presume is actually NUE from LGW, which I'm hoping will become a permanent service. I hope you have a good time, best arrive hungry! I bought a small wrapped pack of gingerbread to give to the crew on the return, the captain snaffled a biscuit to check it was ok (to mournful looks from the SFO) and then I got a rather good excellent service all the way back.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Thanks c-w-s, I shall bear the biscuits in mind.

Still baffled about my other bag arriving all by itself.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:50 am

Just another data point - I had a delayed bag for my Christmas pilgrimage through LCY (what's new ). The claim for reimbursement for essential item was approved in 2 days after submission, and the funds were in my bank account 3 days after that. Pretty good service I thought, considering the challenges of the festive period.
mike&co likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

It's pretty rare for bags to miss the flight when there's no connection but you shouldn't be that surprised that one made it and one didn't. They are separate items after all.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by golfmad
It's pretty rare for bags to miss the flight when there's no connection but you shouldn't be that surprised that one made it and one didn't. They are separate items after all.
On one memorable occasion, my companion and I each checked a bag for a LHR-OSL flight one Saturday morning. (This was when BA was still at T4.) My companion's bag popped onto the belt at OSL. Mine did not appear. The sinking feeling was exacerbated by the fact that we were about to do a 2-night cruise to nowhere, and persisted when the bag had not appeared by the time the ship left the dock.

The event was particularly memorable because a couple of hours later I was summoned to the front desk to collect my bag. The airline's agent and the cruise line's agent had between them conspired to get the bag onto the pilot boat, so it was put on board when the pilot was collected. And thus I didn't have to do any hand washing that weekend.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
i was not surprised by this, it is simple a fact of air travel that sometimes one get separated from ones bag, no massive drama. What did surprise me is for the bag that did appear to arrive on the belt on its own 20 mins before any other bags.

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Globaliser
On one memorable occasion, my companion and I each checked a bag for a LHR-OSL flight one Saturday morning. (This was when BA was still at T4.) My companion's bag popped onto the belt at OSL. Mine did not appear. The sinking feeling was exacerbated by the fact that we were about to do a 2-night cruise to nowhere, and persisted when the bag had not appeared by the time the ship left the dock.

The event was particularly memorable because a couple of hours later I was summoned to the front desk to collect my bag. The airline's agent and the cruise line's agent had between them conspired to get the bag onto the pilot boat, so it was put on board when the pilot was collected. And thus I didn't have to do any hand washing that weekend.
good show. I remember last year watching one of the many cruise documentaries and the number of delayed bags was certainly a headache for the crew.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:02 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Does BA not scan bags along the way and can tell you exactly where your missing bag is? That would impact where you have it delivered to.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
Does BA not scan bags along the way and can tell you exactly where your missing bag is? That would impact where you have it delivered to.
certainly not in the way that A3 do, it can be very reassuring to be able to see that you bag has made the plane whilst your onboard, however it is rather labour intensive.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And thus I didn't have to do any hand washing that weekend.
Of all the places to start neglecting the washing of your hands....a cruise is definitely NOT the place to start!
chrisboote and Gerbs like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:07 am

Thanks c-w-s, I shall bear the biscuits in mind.

Were they tied to each other with a rope??

DON
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donaldsc
Were they tied to each other with a rope??

DON
no, and that wasn’t my point.

Im not baffled as to why one bag turned up and one went missing, that happens a lot with bags. What baffled me is why 10 minutes after landing my bag appeared and for the next 20 minutes it was the only bag that did appear from he entire plane.

Thoughts of reasons that have gone through my head are that it was loaded with the through check luggage that was taken off the plane quickly as we were late, or that it was on the flight that left at roughly the time we were due to leave (it too delayed due to traffic restrictions from the weather).
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive
I frequently don't don't get all my bags. My last trip I had five checked bags on LAX-LHR-EDI. Arrived at EDI and had an email from BA stating two bags were not on my EDI flight. That was all it told me. Went to the Menzies desk and they told me bags were "probably" en route and if I wanted to wait 30 minutes on the arriving flight I would get my bags. Thankfully the bags were indeed on that flight. This happens more frequently than I would like but I was pleased that BA did inform me the bags were late. Nothing worse than standing at the carousel for ages. I always have a clean change of underwear in the hand luggage, not my first rodeo.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards
Truly lost bag...

JNB-LHR-MAN in F arriving during the ‘snowmaggedon’ event of 10/11 Dec. Two out of three bags made it three days later; the last one still hasn’t arrived (altho it was traced as far as LHR) and I now assume is truly lost. B**g**r.

Now on first-name terms with most of the staff at YouFirst, who did their best chasing baggage, but without success. Claim submitted today, will be interested to see if there’s any hassle with the amount and if any ‘service recovery’ Avios are offered...
Update: claim agreed in full within 24hrs; no service recovery offered.

Last edited by tyddynonn; Jan 5, 2018 at 1:42 pm Reason: More info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.