Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are you happy to post their full defence (obviously removing any personal information)?
Please see the BA's full defence attached. I couldn't insert any text document so I resorted to the xlsx format.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
BA_Defence.xlsx (11.2 KB, 95 views)
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:00 am

Mixed Fleet strike cancellation

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is quite a lot in the spoiler that could be challenged, so I would certainly urge a careful read up on the evidence.
Can we collectively create a list of points that can be challenged and I will write a reply to their defence? I have put their defence under the Spoiler section for convenience.

I have now received a Directions Questionnaire from the court office. Can I submit a 'Reply to Defence' together with the DQ form?

Spoiler

Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Temych
Please see the BA's full defence attached. I couldn't insert any text document so I resorted to the xlsx format.
OK my 30 second look at this suggests
1) The strikes were not third party but internal to BA and there was manifestly more that could be done to avoid them since an internal settlement was eventually reached
2) BA has multiple crews, not all of MF were on strike, and BA operated 98% (precise figure needs checking). So cancelling this flight was expedient but a choice the company made.
3) BA has not specifically identified what measures it took to meet this condition "except when the cancellation occurs in extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken." In other words, what reasonable measures did it take for this identified flight and how, after these measures were taken why did it fail?
4) BA sought CAA's permission to operate Qatar flights at least in part to mitigate its exposure to EC261 and other claims. So what happened here?
5) Did BA make any attempt to rebook the passenger on other airlines to meet the time constraints of EC261, given there are dozens of European flights to Moscow?
6) Strikes in the aviation industry aren't extraordinary in any literal sense, they happen all the time, and BA's industrial relations record speaks for itself. Clearly if (e.g.) French ATC went on strike that makes it very difficult for BA to do anything about it, but this was not a wildcat strike, it was carefully planned by both the crew and the airline, mitigations were put in place, again demonstrating a lack of extraordinary.
I'm not a lawyer.
Temych likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
That CAA application by BA would, literally, be exhibit A if it was me!

Would suggest that any other posters lodging evidence etc. in similar cases upload to a public google drive folder for the benefit of others - e.g. like below

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/m...13&direction=a
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Member

I posted my CEDR information, inc BAs defence in the 2017 version of this thread. This included specific info from BA on what they did to avoid cancelling our flight. You should be able to search my user name for this info. To me, not being a lawyer, it was a load of bull and could be pulled apart but CEDR decided to ignore my defence and sided with BA

im now waiting for the test case by bott and co to be completed
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: not sure
Hi TIM So did you end up having to pay CEDR 25 pound???. If so. I reckon it should be refundable if Bott and Co win which putting CEDR in a poor light/doubt so lets see how things develop

I just Finally filled in their very unfriendly on line application but was unable to download supporting documents on the end of the 11 pages application. I tried unsuccessfully previously with on line application and e mailed them the facts with the BA responses as a e mail string to [email protected] on 18 February 2018 but no acknowledgement or response.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by Often1
Under the Regulation, the passenger is, of course, entitled to a full refund of his BA ticket to his chosen original form of payment. While it may be a bit of a nuisance because the forms of payment were different and it appears that he will need to claim the BE ticket back from his employer, it will all wash out and frankly, unless he has a truly slothful employer, he should see a reimbursement for his BE ticket from his employer before he would ever see anything from BA for the value of the BE ticket. The employer will see a refund of the BA segment and a payment for the BE segment and those will, when it is all done, counterbalance each other.
Maybe not as bad as 'truly slothful', but it's a case of 'which argument is less painful'? I'm anticipating that my work will give me hassle because the BE booking did not follow all mandatory pre-approval processes, duly documented for submission with the claim. In the circumstances you would hope this would not be a problem, but our expense claims are normally forensically analysed by an outsourced team who have had any idea of discretion beaten out of them early in their careers... So, unbelievably, I decided BA might be the path of least resistance.

I was expecting I might have some reimbursement trouble going for the self-help rebooking, but since I was keen to get home to dig my 33wk pregnant partner out of the house(!) I decided I'd take the risk that no-one would pay me back and book the BE flight...
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:28 pm

Can we collectively create a list of points that can be challenged and I will write a reply to their defence? I have put their defence under the Spoiler section for convenience.
[/SPOILER]
The crux of the matter is that BA claim a strike by it's own employees is an EC, because it falls outside of their control.

You need to convince the court that internal strike action is part and parcel of running an airline.

I believe that if you were to ask the senior management of any business "who handles strike situations in your business" they would answer 'we do' who else would? and that is at the heart of this question, if a BA strike is outside of their control, how could it ever be resolved?
Temych likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Tim_T
I posted my CEDR information, inc BAs defence in the 2017 version of this thread. This included specific info from BA on what they did to avoid cancelling our flight. You should be able to search my user name for this info. To me, not being a lawyer, it was a load of bull and could be pulled apart but CEDR decided to ignore my defence and sided with BA

im now waiting for the test case by bott and co to be completed
What test case?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:10 pm
Original Member

Post 179 in this thread

”Here is the relevant bit of the email I received from bott and co:-
Your claim is currently on hold pending the decision of a test case. this is because the airline has provided the defence of “crew strike” this point is currently being tested and we do not yet have a hearing date.“
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by sledge1
Hi TIM So did you end up having to pay CEDR 25 pound???. If so. I reckon it should be refundable if Bott and Co win which putting CEDR in a poor light/doubt so lets see how things develop
i don’t believe I did
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:37 pm

I have now received a Directions Questionnaire from the court office. Can I submit a 'Reply to Defence' together with the DQ form?
I wouldn’t bother with a Reply to Defence, you have set out your claim and BA have set out their defence. If you do wish to reply keep it brief, this is not the time to provide evidence, perhaps simply state that you deny the reason given for the cancellation in the defence amounts to an extraordinary circumstance under the Regulation. Remember it is BA who must prove this was an ‘extraordinary circumstance’ so concentrate your efforts now on challenging their assertion. CWS has provided some excellent pointers to help focus your mind.

This is not going to be easy, BA have admitted all your facts so you have nothing to prove evidently vis-à-vis the facts. This case will be decided on legal argument for the substantive claim, if you overcome that hurdle you will then have to prove your entitlement to interest (which the have denied you are entitled to) and to the exchange rate you have used to arrive at the figure claimed (upon which they have made no admission).
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tim_T
Post 179 in this thread

”Here is the relevant bit of the email I received from bott and co:-
Your claim is currently on hold pending the decision of a test case. this is because the airline has provided the defence of “crew strike” this point is currently being tested and we do not yet have a hearing date.“
Thanks Tim, I’d missed that. Excellent, I think there is a decent case to answer here and I will not be surprised if this goes against the airlines. Do you know how far up the court food chain this one has gone? I suspect it is still in the county court so could be quite a while yet before we see any binding precedent.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I wouldn’t bother with a Reply to Defence, you have set out your claim and BA have set out their defence. If you do wish to reply keep it brief, this is not the time to provide evidence, perhaps simply state that you deny the reason given for the cancellation in the defence amounts to an extraordinary circumstance under the Regulation. Remember it is BA who must prove this was an ‘extraordinary circumstance’ so concentrate your efforts now on challenging their assertion. CWS has provided some excellent pointers to help focus your mind.

This is not going to be easy, BA have admitted all your facts so you have nothing to prove evidently vis-à-vis the facts. This case will be decided on legal argument for the substantive claim, if you overcome that hurdle you will then have to prove your entitlement to interest (which the have denied you are entitled to) and to the exchange rate you have used to arrive at the figure claimed (upon which they have made no admission).
I’d also be preparing arguments / evidence on the second leg BA need to prove - I.e. an extraordinary circumstance and that they took all reasonable steps. I (surprisingly IMO) lost the first point in case against Iberia on pax checking bag in but failing to board, but won on the second. The CAA application and more recent leasing in of aircraft at LGW to hold onto slots go to the second point - I.e. if BA could lease in X aircraft from QR then, and Y aircraft from others now, what was the basis for why they could not lease enough aircraft then. I think there’s less subjectivity in this line.

Given IANAL, worth considering if that point was clear in the claim. Not sure what reaction would be if only brought up in court when BA doesn’t have witness etc.

ETA Temych I’d also suggest looking at my docs linked above, I submitted the older and newer versions of the CAA “extraordinary circumstances” list to show that it has had to change based on court rulings previously, and therefore should not be given undue weight by the court
Temych likes this.

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Mar 11, 2018 at 12:27 am
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

I’d also be preparing arguments / evidence on the second leg BA need to prove - I.e. an extraordinary circumstance and that they took all reasonable steps. I (surprisingly IMO) lost the first point in case against Iberia on pax checking bag in but failing to board, but won on the second. The CAA application and more recent leasing in of aircraft at LGW to hold onto slots go to the second point - I.e. if BA could lease in X aircraft from QR then, and Y aircraft from others now, what was the basis for why they could not lease enough aircraft then. I think there’s less subjectivity in this line.

Given IANAL, worth considering if that point was clear in the claim. Not sure what reaction would be if only brought up in court when BA doesn’t have witness etc.

ETA Temych I’d also suggest looking at my docs linked above, I submitted the older and newer versions of the CAA “extraordinary circumstances” list to show that it has had to change based on court rulings previously, and therefore should not be given undue weight by the court
The burden of proof lies with the airline, they must prove their defence that the strike was an extraordinary circumstance and that they had taken all reasonable steps in the circumstances to avoid cancelling the flight. The airline is trying to advance this defence, it is the only way it can avoid paying the compensation, so there is no ambush here. My advice to @Temych is to concentrate on the rebuttal of BA’s defence.
Temych likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.