FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1885568-ba-tier-point-runs-2018-master-thread.html)

rossmacd Jan 3, 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by catharsis (Post 29245939)
Dutch, Ross, Is it safe to assume that if I can piece together the itinerary I want using ExpertFlyer and confirming I availability segment by segment (and on the BA codeshares where necessary) that I can book an itinerary which combinesmaximising TPs using AA flights internal to NA with a stopover in Dublin(or london) and a stopover in LAX along something like the following lines?
Cai-LHR(STOPOVER, surface segment) DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL//HNL-LAX(stopover)LAX-JFK-LHR-CAI ?

I believe that is what you both stated but the stopover piece and the routing piece were answered slightly separately and I'm seeking to combine them by maximising TPs AND adding a stopover.

Thanks in advance for any help clarifying,

You can use ExpertFlyer to check availabilties of the sectors for I-class (cheapest business class), and plug this information into ITA Matrix to check that you can get the fare you would like.

Does this help you?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...86ad60484c.png

ubiest Jan 3, 2018 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer (Post 29246055)

About USD$ 7300 and CAI-LHR-CAI will be always in J.

As are the Hawaii legs from LAX/PHX/DFW, always in J, and only DFW has lie-flat on 777.

Frequent flyer 101 Jan 3, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ubiest (Post 29246220)
As are the Hawaii legs from LAX/PHX/DFW, always in J, and only DFW has lie-flat on 777.

Occasionally AA run 777s from lax.

Does the first NA stop have to be in Canada to enable double SAY flights with BA codeshares? Is this possible with JFK or Mia transit?

rossmacd Jan 3, 2018 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101 (Post 29246298)
Does the first NA stop have to be in Canada to enable double SAY flights with BA codeshares? Is this possible with JFK or Mia transit?

Why not try on Matrix? :)

catharsis Jan 3, 2018 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 29246154)
You can use ExpertFlyer to check availabilties of the sectors for I-class (cheapest business class), and plug this information into ITA Matrix to check that you can get the fare you would like.

Does this help you?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...86ad60484c.png

thanks ross, but I know it was possible to route via Toronto, but 5 hours in an AA 'business' seat from yyz to lax is significantly different from the transcon jfk-lax, which was what I asked about, I do not think you can price an itin inside the us on a BA prime with a stopover (perhaps because of cabotage?) but I was asking whether it was possible by calling BA as I think was being suggested by Dutch

LordBuckethead Jan 3, 2018 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by catharsis (Post 29246382)
I do not think you can price an itin inside the us on a BA prime with a stopover (perhaps because of cabotage?) but I was asking whether it was possible by calling BA as I think was being suggested by Dutch

The same reason stops it being priced manually too, it's not just an online thing. BA has no rights to sell domestic US tickets, either standalone or as part of a wider itinerary. It can only be done as an actual connection (<24hrs). If anything is reserved it is unlikely to be ticketed; if by some mistake it falls through it will be caught and cancelled later.

LordBuckethead Jan 3, 2018 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by benjai (Post 29244975)
Also, is there any potential issue with booking via Amex instead of direct? I've never booked flights via Amex before.

While booking through any agent is always more 'dangerous' than booking direct with an airline, the one TA I am most likely to use is Amex. They get almost all my non-BA travel. Unlike most online outfits they have actual people who can and will help you if anything is cancelled/changed and needs rebooking - and the leisure support staff are the same ones who deal with the corporate support too, with the high reputation they come with. They also work hard to maintain a good relationship with airlines (especially BA), which means they can occasionally get some favours in return if they need them.

mmxbreaks Jan 3, 2018 4:42 pm

thanks ross, but I know it was possible to route via Toronto, but 5 hours in an AA 'business' seat from yyz to lax is significantly different from the transcon jfk-lax, which was what I asked about, I do not think you can price an itin inside the us on a BA prime with a stopover (perhaps because of cabotage?) but I was asking whether it was possible by calling BA as I think was being suggested by Dutch

You can, if the I-class fare is there.

I have CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-CAI.

(Yes, bit shonky on the way back due to PHX, but not much I can do about it now).

rossmacd Jan 4, 2018 12:48 am

Yes, the Transcon versus the regular Domestic F products are very different. You can price an itinerary using JFK-LAX-HNL (and return) but the availability seems to be very restricted. I would expect you would have to be quite flexible in order to achieve exactly what you want. I'm on mobile right now so can't make a search to assist.

Calling BA would be a waste of time in my opinion - always best to price out what you want (/can get) on ITA Matrix before calling.

rossmacd Jan 4, 2018 12:50 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 29246603)
You can, if the I-class fare is there.

I have CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-CAI.

(Yes, bit shonky on the way back due to PHX, but not much I can do about it now).

Depending on when your travel is, you may get an inevitable schedule change on the AA operated flights which may give you the flexibility to change on to a more optimum routing (subject to availability, of course) ;)

nufnuf77 Jan 4, 2018 1:08 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 29247953)
Depending on when your travel is, you may get an inevitable schedule change on the AA operated flights which may give you the flexibility to change on to a more optimum routing (subject to availability, of course) ;)

Unlikely as this would be a BA fare on BA ticket - and BA is not as flexible as AA in changing your routings.

rossmacd Jan 4, 2018 1:27 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 29247977)
Unlikely as this would be a BA fare on BA ticket - and BA is not as flexible as AA in changing your routings.

Trust me, they can be if you get a willing agent and especially if your previous routing becomes no longer possible.

rufusrea Jan 4, 2018 5:36 am

I hope someone here can help i have booked a number of flights on American Airlines using both myAA number and my wifes and am wondering should i use my AA account or my BA executive account to gain air miles and tier points.
the flights are
BHD – Heathrow, Heathrow – Dallas, Dallas – Los Angeles, and then Tampa – Miami, Miami – Heathrow , and Heathrow – Belfast . These are all on one ticket booked using two $500 vouchers i received for a delayed flight last year,
thanks for reading

phoneticduck Jan 4, 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by rufusrea (Post 29248466)
I hope someone here can help i have booked a number of flights on American Airlines using both myAA number and my wifes and am wondering should i use my AA account or my BA executive account to gain air miles and tier points.
the flights are
BHD – Heathrow, Heathrow – Dallas, Dallas – Los Angeles, and then Tampa – Miami, Miami – Heathrow , and Heathrow – Belfast . These are all on one ticket booked using two $500 vouchers i received for a delayed flight last year,
thanks for reading

do you have status with either airline? There are calculators available on the airline sites that will inform your decision as to which option earns you the most.

Shl Jan 4, 2018 8:37 am

Hi there, I have a question for the TP run masters:

We have booked a flight OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS/ LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-OSL
Now - due to a schedule change - AA has 'optimized' my route to OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS/ LAS-LHR-OSL

What do you suggest?
1. Shall I ask for original routing back, as it also includes A Class LAX-JFK?
2. If not, the route they offer now would have been much cheaper if booked so from the start?
3. And, lastly, what happens to TP earning?

Thanks for your advise.