FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1885568-ba-tier-point-runs-2018-master-thread.html)

Markie Jan 6, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN (Post 29257529)
Anyone know if the LHR-HEL-TLL £200 ish J is still available and where to find it ?

Gone I am afraid.

jdtravels Jan 6, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by phoneticduck (Post 29257027)
In May you won't need to worry about humidity in HK. Also Japan. Happy hunting :)

Suggest looking at AMS, BRU, CDG and the Nordics as jump off/positioning points for QR.

I would disagree. May can be quite a damp and miserable month in HK - think humid and sweaty clothes, urgh

jdtravels Jan 6, 2018 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 29254688)
I'd like to reach silver by the end of May - my year end is April 8th and my current silver status expires at the end of May. I only have 40 tier points and 1 BA flight under my belt at the moment, and don't have any spare time until the end of April - so I'm more or less limited to travelling within the month of May...

Wait a moment, I may be very wrong, but does that not mean you have to collect your TP and BA flights before 8 April?

florens Jan 6, 2018 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 29257575)
Gone I am afraid.

Indeed. £466ish now, but books into D (fare basis DLV3R).

ttama Jan 6, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jdtravels (Post 29257581)
Wait a moment, I may be very wrong, but does that not mean you have to collect your TP and BA flights before 8 April?

My understanding is that if I collect them after April 8th, as soon as I become silver again I will not only be silver for the rest of that collection year (ie up until April 8th 2019) but also for the following year until April 8th 2020. Also, if I travel between April 8th and May 31st 2018, I will still be able to use the benefits associated with silver status because the benefits don't expire until the end of month following the year end. So I'll still be able to select seats for free, and use lounges if travelling economy, until the end of May. I hope to regain silver status before the end of May via this tier point run, so shouldn't lose those benefits.

I hope I'm correct in thinking this?

But yes, you're correct in saying the 40 tier points I'll have collected by then will be pointless. I wasn't thinking straight on that. I'll need to collect 600 on my May tier point run.

ttama Jan 6, 2018 9:01 am

Originally Posted by jdtravels (Post 29257576)
I would disagree. May can be quite a damp and miserable month in HK - think humid and sweaty clothes, urgh

That was my experience in Hong Kong during our May honeymoon. Japan may be more pleasant.

jdtravels Jan 6, 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 29257650)
My understanding is that if I collect them after April 8th, as soon as I become silver again I will not only be silver for the rest of that collection year (ie up until April 8th 2019) but also for the following year until April 8th 2020. Also, if I travel between April 8th and May 31st 2018, I will still be able to use the benefits associated with silver status because the benefits don't expire until the end of month following the year end. So I'll still be able to select seats for free, and use lounges if travelling economy, until the end of May. I hope to regain silver status before the end of May via this tier point run, so shouldn't lose those benefits.

I hope I'm correct in thinking this?

But yes, you're correct in saying the 40 tier points I'll have collected by then will be pointless. I wasn't thinking straight on that. I'll need to collect 600 on my May tier point run.

Ah yes, sorry - didn't think of it that way.

ex-EU QR fare to Tokyo, return in J gets you 560. 40 more for 4 BA flights (including your positioning flights) shouldn't be too tough?

Too bad the last QR sale just passed - not that it was too amazing anyway.

TPRun Jan 6, 2018 10:33 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 29255014)
Just booked OTP/PHX for August Bank Holiday. After playing about I managed to get both TATL on BA so able to UuA to F. Transcon 1 way as well. Fairly happy with that and gold line were very easy to deal with and were slightly cheaper than matrix.

Of course I now have the whole day tomorrow to fiddle whilst planning another TP run at the start of the summer.

Did you find anything good for the start of the summer? :)

madfish Jan 6, 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by TPRun (Post 29257936)
Did you find anything good for the start of the summer? :)

Still looking but think I have some decent ideas/starting points. Will let you know when I’ve been able to get it to book.

aidy Jan 6, 2018 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN (Post 29257529)
Anyone know if the LHR-HEL-TLL £200 ish J is still available and where to find it ?

been gone a while now

Beaulieu Jan 6, 2018 4:41 pm

May be of interest to people here, @palmanfr posted in the premium fare deals thread (quoted below) about a GOT-HNL first fare on AA stock. I've been playing around with it a bit today, and it looks like it's a DIF fare requiring I and A availability - getting it via HEL is possible but a bit of a farce, might be possible on the phone to AA. All the flights must be on AA codes. You can do 1000TP for around £1605, and 1280TP (in F via JFK/LAX) for about £1950.

Also works from LCA, SOF, OTP, ATH (for more TP) and ARN.

Originally Posted by palmanfr (Post 29255496)
I don't know if it has been posted already, but just found by chance a decent deat out of GOT to HNL, with very limited availability in Feb and March. Cheapest is actually GOT-HNL-BUD, returning to GOT adds about 100 Euros...
I cannot manage to route it via HEL or JFK to maximize TP, but you still get to fly F on AA (77W) or BA (744 or 789), both AA marketed. non refundable, nor cancellable though ! This yields 780 TP

For the ones who want to stop in the west coast, fares are just above 2000 euros... Lots of availability ex-scandinavia, trying to add a couple stops but unsuccessful so far...

annihilation Jan 7, 2018 2:13 am

I can make it route through JFK on the transcon in F but adding HEL is pushing the price very high. Might give them a call today and see if they can see if its possible. 1280 got £2k isn't bad, but if I can add 320TP more that would be excellent.

nufnuf77 Jan 7, 2018 2:30 am

Originally Posted by annihilation (Post 29260412)
I can make it route through JFK on the transcon in F but adding HEL is pushing the price very high. Might give them a call today and see if they can see if its possible. 1280 got £2k isn't bad, but if I can add 320TP more that would be excellent.

The price through HEL goes up because you are exceeding the base MPM (for every 5% of additional distance you add 5% on base fare).

palmanfr Jan 7, 2018 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Beaulieu (Post 29259204)
May be of interest to people here, @palmanfr posted in the premium fare deals thread (quoted below) about a GOT-HNL first fare on AA stock. I've been playing around with it a bit today, and it looks like it's a DIF fare requiring I and A availability - getting it via HEL is possible but a bit of a farce, might be possible on the phone to AA. All the flights must be on AA codes. You can do 1000TP for around £1605, and 1280TP (in F via JFK/LAX) for about £1950.

Also works from LCA, SOF, OTP, ATH (for more TP) and ARN.

Thanks for picking this one up... Looks like I posted it to the wrong thread 😀 May I ask how you manage to include JFK (or HEL) Everytime I trying to do so on matrix I got zero possibilities, despite the fare rules stating otherwise.

phoneticduck Jan 7, 2018 2:38 am

Originally Posted by jdtravels (Post 29257678)
Ah yes, sorry - didn't think of it that way.

ex-EU QR fare to Tokyo, return in J gets you 560. 40 more for 4 BA flights (including your positioning flights) shouldn't be too tough?

Too bad the last QR sale just passed - not that it was too amazing anyway.

Indeed, but the QR annual global sale is imminent, which is usually much better than the rolling QR sales.

When you position, book Y and then upgrade in the lounge at LHR about 60mins before your flight - should be cost effective and will solve your 40TP deficit.