Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Gold Member Reward Flight Baggage Allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I am a Gold member and recently booked a reward flight from London Heathrow to Geneva. In the BA app my baggage allowance is showing as 1 x 23kg. This seems strange as normally have 2 x 32kg but wondered if this was because I used avios points to book.
I will need two checked-in bags but i'm unsure whether to pay the £120 to add a second or whether this is a mistake in the app. Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, KGUK!
Originally Posted by KGUK
I am a Gold member and recently booked a reward flight from London Heathrow to Geneva. In the BA app my baggage allowance is showing as 1 x 23kg. This seems strange as normally have 2 x 32kg but wondered if this was because I used avios points to book.

I will need two checked-in bags but i'm unsure whether to pay the £120 to add a second or whether this is a mistake in the app. Any advice appreciated
I think that the extra bag and the additional weight allowances apply equally to award bookings, so you should be fine without having to pay for another bag.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:00 pm

You get your normal allowance as a Gold
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Direct from BA (save this page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...old-benefits):
  • "an additional free checked bag in any travel class for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares)*"
You can't have an HBO fare, as it's a reward booking, so you're fine for two bags. Phone BAEC and verify.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

That's great, many thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

I do that route a lot, and get the same problem with the app stating the wrong allowance. It's always fine at the airport.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk, KGUK

If I may add a further suggestion which is to check your eTicket email - the allowance information described in this email is legally binding so should be accurate.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
The class of travel on the award ticket was not stated by the OP, so for clarity as a GCH you would have a check bag allowance of 2 bags in Y and 3 bags in J (and each can weigh up to 32kg).
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Good point, thanks 'themax'. The flights are Economy - Fare class V.
Thanks for all the help everyone, it sounds like I will be fine.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Direct from BA (save this page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...old-benefits):
  • "an additional free checked bag in any travel class for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only () fares)*"
You can't have an HBO fare, as it's a reward booking, so you're fine for two bags. Phone BAEC and verify.
Originally Posted by aardvarkdave
I do that route a lot, and get the same problem with the app stating the wrong allowance. It's always fine at the airport.
Originally Posted by Prospero

If I may add a further suggestion which is to check your eTicket email - the allowance information described in this email is legally binding so should be accurate.
Originally Posted by themax
The class of travel on the award ticket was not stated by the OP, so for clarity as a GCH you would have a check bag allowance of 2 bags in Y and 3 bags in J (and each can weigh up to 32kg).
I flew last Friday to LAS in Y and check in at LHR T3 said the 32kg is only for me? I was aware it’s for everyone under the booking (4 of us on 1 booking here) as shown on the benefits page. Our bags were less than 23kg x2 each anyway but if one of the 3 others on my booking went over, who would have gotten their way, check in or BAEC page on the internet?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPRun
I flew last Friday to LAS in Y and check in at LHR T3 said the 32kg is only for me?
That's the old rule; it's since been changed to the current rule.
TPRun likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Globaliser
ah, I see...and perhaps info not quite trickled down to all staff yet...
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
What is the exact change? And how recent is it? Couple of weeks ago I bought tickets for me and OH (Bronze) and the e-ticket confirms the we both have the same (increased) capacity (3 bags of 23kg each; flight in WTP).
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
What is the exact change? And how recent is it?
The current rule is that everyone on the same booking gets the increased number of bags, and that 32 kg per bag applies to everyone on the same booking.

IIRC, the previous rule was that everyone on the same booking got the increased number of bags, but 32 kg per bag only applied to the cardholder; all those with insufficient status had only the usual 23 kg per bag.

This change must be a year or two old now, but if I can recite something like the old rule off the top of my head, it wouldn't surprise me if some agents don't remember that it's changed!
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero

I have the same problem, Euro Traveller RFS booked last week, also the e-ticket mail says 1 bag at 23kg

I do however have another RFS booking made last year and that e-ticket says 2 bags at 23kg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.