Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Weather disruption - LHR and perhaps elsewhere - 27 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather disruption - LHR and perhaps elsewhere - 27 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
Your simulator pilot's licence is herby revoked and its back to ground school for you
Having spent most of the day in the CCR he possibly cannot tell the difference between north and south, or his left from his right, or his up from his down. Or in terms of yorkshireism ‘his arse from his elbow!’
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Your simulator pilot's licence is herby revoked and its back to ground school for you
Actually KARFA is right, it is a southerly wind then suddenly switching into a northerly wind by tomorrow morning, so we'll let him off without writing it up on his record!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by rossmacd

I’m on the 1489 on Thursday 28th so keeping my fingers crossed, but the weather system looks like it will have passed by then.

Good luck to those travelling tomorrow, especially with BA’s recent record of IRROPs handling.
Obviously there will be some cancellations but it does not look nearly as bad as last time. I hope I won't eat my words of course!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Actually KARFA is right, it is a southerly wind then suddenly switching into a northerly wind by tomorrow morning, so we'll let him off without writing it up on his record!
I think he was fairly clear in his post that he was referring to the wind direction on Wednesday to which this thread refers. He made no mention of the weather on Tuesday, which indeed appeared to be southernly.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
to update based on this mornings TAF.

TAF: EGLL 270457Z 2706/2812 30006KT 9999 BKN012 BECMG 2706/2709 34016G26KT BKN008 TEMPO 2706/2712 35020G36KT 2500 RASN BKN004 PROB30 TEMPO 2706/2711 1400 SN BECMG 2712/2715 FEW020 BECMG 2717/2720 31012KT
The “prob 30” stuff forecast yesterday has been "confirmed" and is now forecast to happen. Indeed the wind moving to the north with strong gusts is beginning and sleet is being reported in the actual.

What is interesting is they are now forecasting a Prob 30 of up to an hour at time (and a total of 2.5 hours) of proper snow with 1400 m vis between 0600 and 1100 . (So anytime now ish). The Global Forecast System (GFS) is predicting snow as far south as London so could get a cm or two on top of the sleet.

Conditions are still expected to clear clear up from noon onwards though knock on delays are likely.

Looking at the Eurocontrol tactical page for delays and restrictions:

EGLC (London City)
Arrivals regulated from 0600 due to Weather (LVP)
Low delays.

EGLL(Heathrow)
Arrivals regulated due strong wind.
Low to moderate delays.

EGGW (Luton)
Arrivals regulated due Weather (snow).
Moderate delays.

EGKK (Gatwick)
Arrivals regulated due capacity.
Moderate delays.
florens and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by tinkicker; Dec 27, 2017 at 12:21 am Reason: Got a laptop out to correct some typos.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
EGJJ (Jersey) = Northwest strong F7 to gale F8, perhaps occasionally severe gale F9 until mid morning, decreasing strong F6 to 7 by mid afternoon. However, the airport seems to be 'Ops normal'.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
That is a northerly wind.thats why its cold.
Whoops, how embarrassing! Getting north and south confused isn't critical for being a pilot tho surely?

Yes so 350 degrees means the wind is coming from the north not the south
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by T8191
EGJJ (Jersey) = Northwest strong F7 to gale F8, perhaps occasionally severe gale F9 until mid morning, decreasing strong F6 to 7 by mid afternoon. However, the airport seems to be 'Ops normal'.
For those who don't know the Beaufort scale, here the wind speeds in knots:

F6: 22-27 knots "Strong breeze"
F7: 28-33 knots "High wind, moderate gale, near gale"
F8: 34-40 knots "Gale, fresh gale"
F9: 41-47 knots "strong/severe gale"
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish

I think he was fairly clear in his post that he was referring to the wind direction on Wednesday to which this thread refers. He made no mention of the weather on Tuesday, which indeed appeared to be southernly.
Indeed, I was wrong, plain and simple. You are just rubbing it in now madfish

Saw 350 degrees and for some reason my mind said south.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Whoops, how embarrassing! Getting north and south confused isn't critical for being a pilot tho surely?

Yes so 350 degrees means the wind is coming from the north not the south
Dont worry I have marked this piece C- and set you some extra homework.Happy new year for monday.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rapidex
Dont worry I have marked this piece C- and set you some extra homework.Happy new year for monday.
And you may have a D+ for the missing apostrophe, lack of space after the full stop and missing capitals for proper nouns.
rapidex likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
KL985 AMS-LCY has gone around 3 times already. BA3281 IOM-LCY just went around as well and a couple of other flights are approaching or holding.

Edit: 4th (!) go around of KL985.

Last edited by florens; Dec 27, 2017 at 1:49 am
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
For what it’s worth, I’m fairly close to LCY at the moment and it’s pretty gusty - one minute breezy, next minute windows rattling alarmingly!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by AlisonB84
For what it’s worth, I’m fairly close to LCY at the moment and it’s pretty gusty - one minute breezy, next minute windows rattling alarmingly!
There is a noticeable low over SE UK with gusts of 40+MPH / knots on the Docklands forecast. Heading east pretty soon, but looks like a similarly low pressure are is following for Friday across London (it may shift away of course).
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Currently facing a 50 minute slot delay on the BA833 DUB-LHR, with a summary from the captain similar to what was said above. Our itinerary to HNL is looking a little dicey at the moment.

So even if not cancelled, there are delays building up too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.