Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather in FCO and Italy tomorrow. Should I be concerned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I have a FCO-LHR tomorrow and have just noticed that the weather forecast for FCO tomorrow includes thunderstorms and winds with gusts of up to 60 km/h.

Perhaps I’m worrying for nothing, but do you think such weather could have an impact on schedules?

I’m still burnt from my return trip to London last year and I’d rather start preparing a plan B now if necessary.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Start working up a Plan B. There’s also snow in the forecast for LHR.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Perhaps an option could be to preemptively buy some refundable tickets now in case I need them. I was thinking of doing it all by train should it come to it.

I must be in London by Thursday lunch time so that I can pack for my later flight to SCL!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Personally I wouldn't buy an alternative flight until you know you have to do so (in which case you do need to act fairly quickly). There are all sorts of options, but it's worth bearing in my that LGW is fairly weather proof on the whole and that airports such as BLQ and NAP may be not too difficult to reach. BLQ is just a couple of kilometres from the very well served station. BLQ has BA services tomorrow to LHR, and easyJet services to LGW If you get a delay of 5 hours (or a cancellation) then BA give you a 300 mile rule, so that takes you as far as Linate. You could try it with delays longer than 2 hours and less than 5 hours, and / or there may be travel advisories. MXP is 318 miles - I suspect an agent's supervisor would also sign that off if that was the best option. And don't forget RFS in this situation, late fares tomorrow will be expensive, whether on BA or U2 or pretty much anyone else, but there is RFS availability from BLQ to LHR on both services and in both cabins.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally I wouldn't buy an alternative flight until you know you have to do so (in which case you do need to act fairly quickly). There are all sorts of options, but it's worth bearing in my that LGW is fairly weather proof on the whole and that airports such as BLQ and NAP may be not too difficult to reach. BLQ is just a couple of kilometres from the very well served station. BLQ has BA services tomorrow to LHR, and easyJet services to LGW If you get a delay of 5 hours (or a cancellation) then BA give you a 300 mile rule, so that takes you as far as Linate. You could try it with delays longer than 2 hours and less than 5 hours, and / or there may be travel advisories. MXP is 318 miles - I suspect an agent's supervisor would also sign that off if that was the best option. And don't forget RFS in this situation, late fares tomorrow will be expensive, whether on BA or U2 or pretty much anyone else, but there is RFS availability from BLQ to LHR on both services and in both cabins.
Thanks @corporate-wage-slave. You have just given me a lot of food for thoughts. If I can read into your advice, I can think of a few reasons why you would not book something now just in case:

- Avios options are not refundable within 24 hours from departure
- Fully flexible tickets are expensive
- Perhaps it'll all be fine

I'll check availability on all flights later today, but I remember last year with the fog it was a struggle to get a set on any flight. Would you deem the risk of not getting any flight low?

I checked the trains, it is doable, but it would involve an overnight journey in a share "cuchette"....
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
I'll check availability on all flights later today, but I remember last year with the fog it was a struggle to get a set on any flight. Would you deem the risk of not getting any flight low?
If you're ok to go to Bologna, Milan, Venice. Naples (etc) then I'm sure something could be worked out. A bit of rain isn't going to stop flights, but the combination of cross winds and thunder may do so. Thunder is very difficult to predict accurately (wind on the other hand is relatively easier to predict) and rarely persists for a long period. Just keep an eye on the situation and have your list of Plan Bs ready.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

If you're ok to go to Bologna, Milan, Venice. Naples (etc) then I'm sure something could be worked out. A bit of rain isn't going to stop flights, but the combination of cross winds and thunder may do so. Thunder is very difficult to predict accurately (wind on the other hand is relatively easier to predict) and rarely persists for a long period. Just keep an eye on the situation and have your list of Plan Bs ready.
It makes sense. Would I have anything to lose booking a fully flex flight to LGW now and cancel it tomorrow if I’m not disrupted or if I manage to buy a cheaper option?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:36 am

It makes sense. Would I have anything to lose booking a fully flex flight to LGW now and cancel it tomorrow if I’m not disrupted or if I manage to buy a cheaper option?
Well, I'm more in the Doris Day mindset, che sarà sarà, but it's certainly one approach. As I understand it, the 24 hour cooling off period would also apply, however if you kept an eye on things you may be able to transfer to the LGW anyway on the day. But my impression is you are looking at delays more than cancellations, from what I can guess.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

So, I booked a Vueling flight on Ba codeshare FCO-LgW later tomorrow. I booked more than 24 hours before travel so the cooling off period should apply. It is just so that I know I have a seat but I’ll probably end up cancelling it.

Last edited by ringingup; Dec 26, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:34 am

So, I booked a Vueling flight on Ba codeshare FCO-LgW later tomorrow. I booked 24 hours before travel so the cooling off period should apply. It is just so that I know I have a seat but I’ll probably end up cancelling it.
To clarify, I think the cooling off period only applies provided you booked more than 24 hours before departure, not under, but assuming you booked 25 hours before travel, you get 24 hours from the time of booking to make that cancellation.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

To clarify, I think the cooling off period only applies provided you booked more than 24 hours before departure, not under, but assuming you booked 25 hours before travel, you get 24 hours from the time of booking to make that cancellation.
yes, sorry! Badly worded!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.