Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Maximising Tier Points on trip to San Diego from Manchester?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Am planning a trip to San Diego from Manchester for July. Looking to fly either BA or American. If I book via the BA site am I correct in my collection of Avios:

Business BA
MAN to LHR (40)
LHR to SAN (140)
Return trip 360 Tier Points

Business AA
MAN to ORD (140)
ORD to SAN (40)
SAN to PHL (140)
PHL to MAN (140)
Return trip 460 Tier Points

Seems like AA will give me a better return on Tier Points or have I got the calculation wrong?

Does anyone know what the business class seats on AA are like on the MAN to ORD and PHL to MAN routes?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Am planning a trip to San Diego from Manchester for July. Looking to fly either BA or American. If I book via the BA site am I correct in my collection of Avios:

Business BA
MAN to LHR (40)
LHR to SAN (140)
Return trip 360 Tier Points

Business AA
MAN to ORD (140)
ORD to SAN (40)
SAN to PHL (140)
PHL to MAN (140)
Return trip 460 Tier Points

Seems like AA will give me a better return on Tier Points or have I got the calculation wrong?

Does anyone know what the business class seats on AA are like on the MAN to ORD and PHL to MAN routes?
Your TP calculation is correct.

MAN-ORD should be the 787 next year, but might be the 767 still. PHL-MAN is on LUS A330.

You can find pictures of the seats in my TR.

Edit: the image hosting site seems to be down at the moment, so I'll insert them here:

AA 767

LUS A330

Last edited by florens; Dec 22, 2017 at 5:53 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
It's been a couple of years since I've done this but there is, or there was, an AA flight JFK-SEA on a 737. This has two advantages: coast-to-coast direct is long enough to qualify for the same level of TPs as a transatlantic sector, and as a two-class aircraft, if you book J you sit in, and receive TPs for, F. I have in the past made silver in a single trip using this routing. The only down side is it's AA's domestic F which is just 2+2 seats not any kind of bed, but as I always flew it in the daytime it never bothered me. If this flight is still available, working it into your itinerary is about the most lucrative way I know to get to the west coast.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by wind-blownmind
It's been a couple of years since I've done this but there is, or there was, an AA flight JFK-SEA on a 737. This has two advantages: coast-to-coast direct is long enough to qualify for the same level of TPs as a transatlantic sector, and as a two-class aircraft, if you book J you sit in, and receive TPs for, F. I have in the past made silver in a single trip using this routing. The only down side is it's AA's domestic F which is just 2+2 seats not any kind of bed, but as I always flew it in the daytime it never bothered me. If this flight is still available, working it into your itinerary is about the most lucrative way I know to get to the west coast.
There are plenty of AA domestic flights that will yield 140 TPs from JFK. JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA/PHX/LAS/SAN/TUS are the main ones. More details in the excellent guides (post 2) of the TP run thread: BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

AA domestics no longer yield F TPs - you can only get 210 TPs if you take the transcon product which is JFK-LAX/SFO only, and you must be in paid F.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Is there another oneworld combination that will give me a better Tier points yield on the MAN to SAN trip in business without pushing the fare up?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
Originally Posted by rossmacd
There are plenty of AA domestic flights that will yield 140 TPs from JFK. JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA/PHX/LAS/SAN/TUS are the main ones. More details in the excellent guides (post 2) of the TP run thread: BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

AA domestics no longer yield F TPs - you can only get 210 TPs if you take the transcon product which is JFK-LAX/SFO only, and you must be in paid F.
It looks like AA is still flying JFK-SEA on a 737 - are these no longer two class aircraft? The F cabin did look rather faded c. 2013, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've changed them. It was the 2 class aircraft that made the SEA the special one of the west coast destinations - all the others were served by 3 class aircraft so you only ever got what you paid for with those.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
It looks like AA is still flying JFK-SEA on a 737 - are these no longer two class aircraft? The F cabin did look rather faded c. 2013, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've changed them. It was the 2 class aircraft that made the SEA the special one of the west coast destinations - all the others were served by 3 class aircraft so you only ever got what you paid for with those.
The 737s are two class aircrafts with "Domestic First Class" which books into Business now (fares J, D, I and R) and yield 140TP each way.

For First Class Tier Points (i.e. 210TP on transcons) you need to be on a 3-cabin flight (such as JFK-LAX/SFO), where F books into F, P or A.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
They didn't change the cabin, they changed the rules. Domestic first class is now considered J instead of F, so earns reduced TPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.