Wiki Posts
Search

BA has lost all 4 of my checked bags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA
BA has lost all 4 of my checked bags

Our flight from Glasgow was delayed so we only just made our long haul flight, and unsurprisingly the bags didnt turn up. There was no flight the next day so the agent and the BA email said the bags would arrive at 20th December. That has come and gone and the local agent nor BA are able to tell me where my bags are.

When I check online it says, we are still looking for your bag. From reading the threads I see their compensation is limited to around £1000, is this per bag or in total? Also this is christmas, I was carrying lots of presents, chocolates (and steaks which by now have gone off) so their compensation wouldnt really cover what i have lost. I see they offer 50% of the original price allowing for wear and tear, but these were brand new presents. I've got a Platinum amex card, that seems to cover it for upto £2k, which I am hoping is per bag.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

on a side note, I am beginning to think BA is picking on me. In the last four months, my bags have been delayed 5 times, lost once, been refused food in club cause his ipad told him not to feed me, and everytime I call, instead of finding someone who knows what they are talking about, they spend the time telling me how and why cant help.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The baggage compensation is governed by the Montreal Convention, and is set at 1131 SDRs - currently just over £1180. This is per passenger, and includes both checked and carry-on luggage - so hopefully you checked the bags across multiple passengers.

This payout will only happen when your luggage is formally declared as lost. In the interim you would be entitled to claim for essentials such as replacement clothes and toiletries. Send the receipts to BA - there will be no argument from them about this. In the unlikely event that your luggage doesn’t eventually turn up, any compensation paid for emergency supplies will be deducted from the 1131 SDR limit.

The Montreal Convention also provides for the opportunity to declare a higher value for the contents, for which BA could charge you a fee. Nonetheless, this still wouldn’t get paid until the bags were formally lost so it wouldn’t save Christmas for you

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Kaveh96
Our flight from Glasgow was delayed so we only just made our long haul flight, and unsurprisingly the bags didnt turn up. There was no flight the next day so the agent and the BA email said the bags would arrive at 20th December. That has come and gone and the local agent nor BA are able to tell me where my bags are.

When I check online it says, we are still looking for your bag. From reading the threads I see their compensation is limited to around £1000, is this per bag or in total? Also this is christmas, I was carrying lots of presents, chocolates (and steaks which by now have gone off) so their compensation wouldnt really cover what i have lost. I see they offer 50% of the original price allowing for wear and tear, but these were brand new presents. I've got a Platinum amex card, that seems to cover it for upto £2k, which I am hoping is per bag.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

on a side note, I am beginning to think BA is picking on me. In the last four months, my bags have been delayed 5 times, lost once, been refused food in club cause his ipad told him not to feed me, and everytime I call, instead of finding someone who knows what they are talking about, they spend the time telling me how and why cant help.
The Amex cover is £2000 per insured. This is in addition to sum due from BA, which means the total cover per insured is a little over £3000.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Just some practical matters:

WorldTracer info is pretty hopeless so don't take any notice of it. I have had it tell me they were still looking for my bag many days after I got mine back.

You should, however, make full use of it to provide information of your whereabouts and contact details to the airline and handling agents.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Our bag situation is a weird one. My ticket was ticketed fully to the destination, however my girlfriend had a redemption domestic ticket and a paid for revenue ticket from LHR. The check in agent in Glasgow just allowed us to check everything under my name and she technically travelled HBO. (although now we both have travelled that way).

So in this this case am i right to assume that as far as amex and ba concerned only one passenger's bags have been lost? and the compensation is limited to £3k?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Note that the Amex insurance can only kick in if you've actually used the Amex to book the flights. Hopefully that was the case.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:56 pm

Our bag situation is a weird one. My ticket was ticketed fully to the destination, however my girlfriend had a redemption domestic ticket and a paid for revenue ticket from LHR. The check in agent in Glasgow just allowed us to check everything under my name and she technically travelled HBO. (although now we both have travelled that way).

So in this this case am i right to assume that as far as amex and ba concerned only one passenger's bags have been lost? and the compensation is limited to £3k?
BA could reasonably argue, under the Montreal Convention, that only your bags are checked in and accordingly its liability is limited to a little over £1000. AMEX may well take the view that each of you are entitled up to £2000 each, therefore a total amount of £5000. Hopefully your bags will turn up soon and this will be an academic discussion.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by benjai
Note that the Amex insurance can only kick in if you've actually used the Amex to book the flights. Hopefully that was the case.
That depends on which card, and from which market it has been issued. I have a USD card issued from the UK and there is no requirement to have purchased the tickets on Amex to benefit from the Insurance.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you checked everything in under the 1 passenger's name, then I expect BA will be able to claim that it is only one passenger's luggage that is missing and so be limited to XDR1131 total rather than XDR1131 per passenger
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benjai
I've booked the ticket on my BA premium plus amex. I was under the impression the insurance would kick in provided the travel was booked on any amex....
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would also point out that statistically it's unlikely to be lost, I can't see the date of travel or your locaton (they won't necessarily use BA to fly the bag to you) but it may take a bit longer since there is currently a bit of backlog in LHR from recent events. Now no-one is actually searching for your bags - hence why WorldTracer isn't showing anything useful - but the mountain of bags will be processed, eventually your bag will surface and then it will be on its way to you. It's possible some bags will get to you before the others as a result. And WorldTracer may suddenly spring into life, but that's an after-thought. So provided your contact details are up to date, at some point you need to think about replacing things you need, more than replacing permanently lost items.

We had a case recently of a bag getting lost for about 3 weeks and still making it to the end destination even though it wasn't fully labelled.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:54 am
Suspended

How can you take STEAK (assuming raw or cooked) from UK to another country outside EU? I can not figure out any country would let you take steak into their country, certainly not US, Australia, Canada...you need to check with the custom of your destination country. Some may consider your luggage contaminated and destroy upon receiving it.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:09 am

I've booked the ticket on my BA premium plus amex. I was under the impression the insurance would kick in provided the travel was booked on any amex....
That's great, it means you are have a lot of coverage (the amount varies depending on how late the bags are) to buy new items and it's likely your bags will be with you soon - the black BA Amex is great for delayed baggage. Don't bother claiming anything from BA directly.

Worldtracer is pretty good at the moment, it'll often tell you when the bags are re-tagged or make it to your destination (but not always).

Note that your insurance only covers you until your bags are returned - which is statistically likely to be soon. I would recommend you go and purchase your essential replacement items as soon as possible, so you use your initial £750 Amex PP allowance now, and £1000 48 hours after your arrival. Make sure you hold on to your delayed baggage paperwork, and if possible get a receipt from the courier when the bag is delivered. I don't know what your platinum policy is, but see if that provides better cover (my recollection is the standard card offers £600).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:11 am

Might also be worth checking your household contents insurance as that might cover specific items too, but there’s probably a higher excess.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:14 am

Fortunately there is a high probability of the bags appearing. As noted above world traced isn't reliable but the vast majority of bags get found and reunited with their owners.

The only possible issue I could foresee is if the steaks start to emit a smell or there is some problem with an unaccompanied bag full of gifts clearing customs at destination (which is unclear).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.