Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

EWR >> LHR >> CDG: What will my 2 hour layover be like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:58 am
Original Poster

We are flying British Airways from Newark (USA) on Christmas Eve. We will arrive at London Heathrow around 6:30 a.m. local time, and taking a connecting flight to Paris about 2 hours later. I do know that we will arrive and depart from the same terminal (5).

Will we have to go through Immigration or Customs? Or will it be as simple as walking from our arrival gate to our departure gate just like I was on an American domestic flight?

Also, with it being Christmas morning, will there be food stands/restaurants open that morning?

Any advice you can give this first-time transatlantic traveler will be VERY appreciated!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Everything will be open.

Youll go through transfer security, which could take some time. There is an excellent thread on LHR connections in the BA dashboard.

Is this on one ticket?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll try to find that dashboard (I'm new to this forum as of a few hours ago).

yes, it's all one ticket, all one booking ... I chose a flight from Newark to Paris, and must change planes in London.

It it looks like my flight will be fairly empty (in the 14 economy rows, with 9 seats per row, there are only about 30 seats listed as "unavailable" when I try a dummy booking). I'll assume the other cabins are proportionally empty, and other flights as well. Do you think this will mean a shorter wait at transfer security, or just as long as usual because it will be similarly short-staffed?

THANK YOU!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The seat maps aren't a great way of gauging loads unfortunately. Many people's bookings do not include seat selection before check-in. But I like traveling on Christmas Eve as the loads do tend to be light. You might get lucky as you and your travel companion(s) might get at least an empty seat next to you which makes thing much more comfortable. If you're really lucky you can get a whole section of an aisle to yourself to really spread out.
Stores at LHR should be fully open and staffed. Transfer security is pretty simple and at 06:30 shouldn't be too backed up. If it were a bit later you'd spend more time waiting for it. With two hours you'll have plenty of time to get through security, wash up and grab a snack.
An extra kind word/acknowledgement of working on Christmas Eve goes a long way with the crew I've found. It is their job but always nice to hear something nice.
The Dashboard can be found by going to Forum>Miles&Points>BritishAirways. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/ here is the link to make it a bit easier for you. And specifically for Terminal 5 connections A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Originally Posted by CleveRocks
Thank you! I'll try to find that dashboard (I'm new to this forum as of a few hours ago).

yes, it's all one ticket, all one booking ... I chose a flight from Newark to Paris, and must change planes in London.

It it looks like my flight will be fairly empty (in the 14 economy rows, with 9 seats per row, there are only about 30 seats listed as "unavailable" when I try a dummy booking). I'll assume the other cabins are proportionally empty, and other flights as well. Do you think this will mean a shorter wait at transfer security, or just as long as usual because it will be similarly short-staffed?

THANK YOU!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:33 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by CleveRocks
We are flying British Airways from Newark (USA) on Christmas Eve. We will arrive at London Heathrow around 6:30 a.m. local time, and taking a connecting flight to Paris about 2 hours later. I do know that we will arrive and depart from the same terminal (5).

Will we have to go through Immigration or Customs? Or will it be as simple as walking from our arrival gate to our departure gate just like I was on an American domestic flight?

Also, with it being Christmas morning, will there be food stands/restaurants open that morning?

Any advice you can give this first-time transatlantic traveler will be VERY appreciated!
Welcome to Flyertalk, CleveRocks. Please continue to follow this thread in the B.A. Forum
Thanks....
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum CleveRocks, and I hope you have a great time in the City of Light. I think you have had the relevant information already, I hope you get a mince pie somehow during your brief trip to London, given the time of year. By all means reach out for more advice, but assuming you are more or less on time then you'll probably have about an hour spare in Terminal 5.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
plug your flight details in th the LHR connections planner and it will explain step by step the process

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
And select seat 25D for your London - Paris flight and you will get a free glass of champagne)
AStarr and deboyzoned like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I fly EWR > LHR frequently (will be on it on Boxing Day). My advice is that even though the airport likely won't be very busy, hustle along after you get off your flight. If you get in at 0630 then you are on the earlier of the two EWR flights. That one (at least my last several trips) always seems to come in to the last gates in C Gates. So it is quite a walk down the jetway, on to the catch the tram to A gates to Transfer. You will be fine on time - just hurry along in case. Also since you have not been to LHR before, it is worth noting they do not make flight announcements (unlike US airports). So watch the monitors for your gate for Paris flight. Most likely it will be out of A Gates or B. Safe travels.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Welcome CleveRocks!

Your flight looks reasonably empty on expert flyer (they show seats available for sale by the airline rather than seats not occupied on the map), so realistic chance of some extra space.

2 hours should be a reasonable amount of time to get from your arrival gate through security and then to the departure gate - it can probably be done in 45 minutes.

Enjoy Paris!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Such great information. Thank you all!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.