Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Year's Resolution: GGL in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Looking at Westray Papa Westray for the summer. Svalbard may have to wait.

GGL transition is complete, and I must say it feels good.
Sounds like another short hop I need to try. Barra is on my list, but doing that one this coming Monday.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Blue Soon, HH Diamond, SQ PPS Solitaire, EK Plat,
Congratulations

Must admit i’ve enjoyed this thread and it was probably reading this that pointed out to me that I could reach GGL this year which I ended up doing just through my planned trips in the end.
I would not make any particularly special efforts myself to do what you did but it’s been great to read about your adventures from the perspective of someone who really enjoys it (at least you seem to!). It reminds me of the excitement I used to have for travelling, and still do on occasion.
The first thing I did on reaching GGL was to liberate myself from Oneworld and this latest trip has been on SQ which i’ve really enjoyed and looking forward to the return leg which I’m just about to board.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:54 am

Been a good read following your journey @bisonrav - now to make the most of the benefits! Do keep the updates coming, as your writing style is very enjoyable and in the best traditions of BAEC FT.

Originally Posted by mtikky
Sounds like another short hop I need to try. Barra is on my list, but doing that one this coming Monday.
​​​​​​
I've done BRR in summer, but I suspect it could be a lot more 'interesting' when the wind gets up…
mtikky likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I have Barra booked for the end of May with the toddler. A little tour of the Isles looks eminently possibly, there's a little circuit over two hours. Really fancy that.

squawk and mtikky like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
I have Barra booked for the end of May with the toddler. A little tour of the Isles looks eminently possibly, there's a little circuit over two hours. Really fancy that.

I've booked to stop overnight in the Castlebay Hotel, so I'm hopeful of a relaxing time and the possibility of a good stroll. You got details of that tour?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:30 am

mtikky, try the bar adjacent to the hotel, they sometimes have live music including the fantastic Vatersay Boys. Also try and book a table at the Kisimul Cafe, they do a lovely curry! Cafe Kisimul, Isle of Barra JT
squawk and mtikky like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Congrats. What was the rough cost banding of this pursuit? £25-30k?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Nowhere near that. Be something like £12k but there was work travel and normal holidays in there so it's not easy to disentangle.

Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtikky
I've booked to stop overnight in the Castlebay Hotel, so I'm hopeful of a relaxing time and the possibility of a good stroll. You got details of that tour?
i'm going to give loganair a call so will post details of what they say.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

Congratulations on getting to GGL - I look forward to joining you for the first time next April! When we went to Barra with young children (not quite toddlers!) we rented a 3 seater electric bike and cycled around the island. It was great fun!
squawk and bisonrav like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Congratulations on getting there, and thanks for the updates.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Congratulations, and thanks for an entertaining read over the past several months.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Westray/Papa Westray are Local flights for local people, sadly.

Hello

Thank you for your email.

At the moment the time table for April 2019 is not available. This should be released mid-December.The flights you are enquiring about is classed as sightseer flights and these cannot be booked in advance. Sightseer flights can only be booked on the day of travel. The reason for this is we are a lifeline service for the Islanders. The only way to book flights in advance is to spend some time on one of the Islands.
If you require any more information please don’t hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind Regards

Customer Services Agent - Kirkwall

Loganair Ltd
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Westray/Papa Westray are Local flights for local people, sadly.
i did a bit of digging earlier this year and came to the same conclusion. I think Sealink did a TR on flying around the islands and said it was pretty much what was available on the day as the seats were held back for locals.

do go to Barra though. I did it last year (did a TR) and it’s a great experience.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, KL Gold
Loganair have/had a day trip special at £69 return for Nov ‘18 - Feb 2019 which could only be booked by phone. Out on LM 451 and return on the LM 456. Approx 1 hour on the ground. We are booked for February (weather permitting...)
bisonrav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.