Wiki Posts
Search

3 class J on 4 class 777 as gold woes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
3 class J on 4 class 777 as gold woes

Booked on a very busy/full flight LGW-TPA on friday (22nd). Have know for a while through EF that it's likely to be totally full and obviously as gold had high hopes of snagging a F seat in the front cabin on this 3 class service. Called the gold line a couple of times this week who said they hadn't yet opened the front cabin but as gold holder it looks like I'll be fine getting a seat up there etc etc. Anyway, woken up this morning and the main J cabin that was totally full last night has now opened up quite a bit, and looking on EF 14/15 F seats have now been taken, with 1 final seat remaining blocked off (which gold line couldn't/wouldn't move me to).

Either I've been incredibly unlucky and since checking at midnight last night and 6:30am this morning there's been 14 golds who have moved themselves up front, or has the policy now changed for these seats? Tampa has never usually been a gold heavy route anyway so I'm a bit baffled (and obviously disappointed) as to whats happened here. Unless there's a load of staff booked on maybe?? Even now that the front cabin is open it's not appearing in MMB for me either. I'll ask again at LGW check-in of course but looks like I'm out of luck.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Sometimes they don't just move golds there, it's just opened as a free for all when OLCI opens if the capacity is needed.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: AA : BA
My experience has been that the F seats aren't available for selection, but at OLCI I have been moved - presumably this is FLY doing it's bit.
This year, out of 6 sectors I've had 4 upgrades so I would suggest wait and see tomorrow?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:58 am

I think your expectations are too high here. Certainly, it is a nice perk to get an F seat, but ultimately I'm not sure why you are "obviously disappointed" since you will still be in a CW seat, which you paid for.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It's generally all under airport control in my experience. I suspect it's possible that the "occupied" seats aren't actually occupied, despite the apparent opening up of the rest of the J cabin.

The Gold line can't usually help in these circumstances - certainly the GGL line wasn't able to help me in a similar situation recently - but the F seat magically appeared on the morning of the flight in the BA App..
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I had similar issue on same route a while back. I asked at check in where they had to call someone, but they never picked up and they suggested I have a chat with agent in First Lounge.
i did this and hey presto 5 minutes later they came and found me in lounge with new BP for first section.
my advice is try at airport.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Ok cheers for the feedback. I'll see what they say at LGW check-in on friday morning and fingers crossed.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Three times we've missed out on 'Flub Class' on LGW routes. As GCHs we lived in hope, never to be fulfilled.

The day someone finally determines definitively how to get this I will be happy.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
The day someone finally determines definitively how to get this I will be happy.
Since your happiness makes for a happy forum... someone has done exactly that.
Ask when you get to check-in. If one is available, it will be yours. Simple as that
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:19 pm

Last year Mrs CKBA and I, travelling CW on a 787-8 had 1F & K for a number of days and at OLCI, but were assigned 10D/E at the check in counter; questioning it they assured us that we were still in 1F/K, but that never materialized at the gate and onboard. Much to our annoyance, just before the doors closed two people 'tumbled' through the doors and after a bit of shrugging of shoulders the cabin crew showed them to the F seats! Maybe, wait until everyone has boarded - and board last... .
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems 3K and 4K are blocked and not occupied. Ask at LGW for sure
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver VIP, Overworked Cabin Crew
Originally Posted by RedDevil83
Booked on a very busy/full flight LGW-TPA on friday (22nd). Have know for a while through EF that it's likely to be totally full and obviously as gold had high hopes of snagging a F seat in the front cabin on this 3 class service. Called the gold line a couple of times this week who said they hadn't yet opened the front cabin but as gold holder it looks like I'll be fine getting a seat up there etc etc. Anyway, woken up this morning and the main J cabin that was totally full last night has now opened up quite a bit, and looking on EF 14/15 F seats have now been taken, with 1 final seat remaining blocked off (which gold line couldn't/wouldn't move me to).

Either I've been incredibly unlucky and since checking at midnight last night and 6:30am this morning there's been 14 golds who have moved themselves up front, or has the policy now changed for these seats? Tampa has never usually been a gold heavy route anyway so I'm a bit baffled (and obviously disappointed) as to whats happened here. Unless there's a load of staff booked on maybe?? Even now that the front cabin is open it's not appearing in MMB for me either. I'll ask again at LGW check-in of course but looks like I'm out of luck.
I may well see you there! Hope you get in the F cabin. 4 k will always be blocked out on this aircraft
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

All's well that ends well. Got to check-in this morning and the helpful lad on the desk said that yes F cabin was completely full, and it looked like there was some families in there with I assume the GCH parent. He rang through to his supervisor to argue my case but there was nothing that could be done as all seats were taken.

Sat in the lounge enjoying some breakfast and bubbles, and low and behold as we approach boarding time the BA app has just updated with my new seat. Very much looking forward to a very comfortable trip across the Atlantic
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:19 am

Not wishing to hijack the thread but as somewhat related I hope someone in this thread can help. Will there still be 4 class 777s on the TPA route in 2018 and beyond? Mrs Muffin Man loves the mouse so I am planning a trip but I cannot see any F listed on any dates at all.

Thanks in advance,
TMM
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Is the stress and worry about getting 'upgraded' on this flight really worth it? Although it paid off in the end I can't help but think the OP would have been left slightly disappointed should he have been given the seat he had paid for.
rossmacd likes this.

Last edited by flipper118; Dec 22, 2017 at 6:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.