FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Free Champagne/ Seat 25D (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1883719-free-champagne-seat-25d.html)

Raffles Dec 22, 2017 7:55 am

I've had 3 HFP readers email who got lounge access (Galleries First!) today across LHR and LGW for being in 25D. No in flight feedback yet.

seattle29 Dec 22, 2017 9:09 am

My father flew out of Heathrow this morning and I'd switched him to 25D. He got Galleries First lounge access as 3 others have experienced, but no champagne in flight as so few bottles had been loaded, and they sold out in CE before remembering to put one aside for the promotion. He got a complimentary Bombay Sapphire gin instead, but had to pay for the tonic water !!!

BerksFlyer Dec 22, 2017 9:50 am

Originally Posted by seattle29 (Post 29205337)
He got a complimentary Bombay Sapphire gin instead, but had to pay for the tonic water !!!

How very Ryanairesque!

subject2load Dec 22, 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by seattle29 (Post 29205337)

He got a complimentary Bombay Sapphire gin instead, but had to pay for the tonic water !!!

Understandable I guess.

I always ask my own guests to pay for tonic (or supply their own). Especially at Christmas ....... :D

Phorbas Dec 22, 2017 10:49 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 29205017)
Oh, on a recent CE they were full sized. I thought they changed to the full sized wine bottles as part of the catering changes in MAR/APR? So they changed back?

Since the catering changes, ‘short’ and ‘medium’ CE routes offer the smaller bottles, and ‘long’ routes have the full-sized bottles.

barneyb Dec 22, 2017 10:54 am

I told the person I sit next to at work to select 25D for their flight to ARN tonight. They just got an Heathrow and they have been surprised with First lounge access as well. They previously were not big BA flyers but sure this will win them over.

Johnnieboy Dec 22, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 29205581)
Understandable I guess.

I always ask my own guests to pay for tonic (or supply their own). Especially at Christmas ....... :D

I believe that is exactly what Debretts recommends :D

Jagboi Dec 22, 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 29205081)
I've had 3 HFP readers email who got lounge access (Galleries First!) today across LHR and LGW for being in 25D.

That would be a pleasant surprise, I wasn't expecting BA to do that.

mwalsh Dec 22, 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 29205081)
I've had 3 HFP readers email who got lounge access (Galleries First!) today across LHR and LGW for being in 25D. No in flight feedback yet.

MUCH better idea than champagne service in the seat.

orbitmic Dec 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Phorbas (Post 29205733)

Since the catering changes, ‘short’ and ‘medium’ CE routes offer the smaller bottles, and ‘long’ routes have the full-sized bottles.

actually, it’s small bottles on short and full sized on medium and long. In fact, bottle size is the only difference between short and medium band catering as food is the exact same (except for ultra short MAN, LBA etc which has further simplified food service).

scottishpoet Dec 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 29205017)
Quick word search of the thread, I can't see anyone saying it would "annoy" them, only you use that word? Nor any recent posts along that line?

Originally Posted by Ziz
I think this is too little too late. The passenger in 25D might get a little thrill from their champagne, but everyone else will either be unimpressed or irritated.

and if unimpressed and irritated isn't close enough to "annoy" for you then how about

Originally Posted by nallison
So they do something that will in the end only benefit those in the know, and annoy more people than it pleases. While other airlines just give everyone a free drink... absolutely clueless.

Diver Boy Dec 22, 2017 9:24 pm

On my flight last night heard the CSD briefing his crew on this gesture, he then stated that unfortunately there was no one sat in 25D but as there were a couple of GCHs in the cabin give them a glass each.

Finavia Dec 24, 2017 5:46 am

I’m sure a lot of people traveling economy may not be able to afford the ‘cheap’ champagne from Sainsbury’s you mentioned in you post, so changing seats to be able to receive a sparkling wine o’r whatever, I’m sure they would appreciate it if they didn’t have to pay for it.

Ancient Observer Dec 24, 2017 5:49 am

I tried blind testing some expensive bubbly, branded cava and the Italian stuff. The differences were not worth the extra money.

Knickam Dec 24, 2017 6:10 am

There seems to be a lack of feedback on the people receiving the free champagne.
Has BA been blocking 25D :D