FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Free Champagne/ Seat 25D (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1883719-free-champagne-seat-25d.html)

atcer28 Dec 20, 2017 1:48 am

It is true that this is happening and the lounge access too. I actually think it’s rather a shame that it’s been publicised beforehand. I am sure some people that read the article may change their seats to 25d. It would have been nice if it had been a surprise for a non regular traveller who just happened to be sitting there. For your average person who only flies occasionally in economy it would be a lovely surprise.

crazyanglaisy Dec 20, 2017 1:51 am

Originally Posted by atcer28 (Post 29196065)
It is true that this is happening and the lounge access too. I actually think it’s rather a shame that it’s been publicised beforehand. I am sure some people that read the article may change their seats to 25d. It would have been nice if it had been a surprise for a non regular traveller who just happened to be sitting there. For your average person who only flies occasionally in economy it would be a lovely surprise.

A real shame, you're absolutely right. Message board-frequenting and blog post-reading travellers will be the ones who benefit, and they're likely to be the people who'll already have consumed a fair bit of champagne in the lounge before they board and make themselves comfortable in their "Christmas Day" seat.

rossmacd Dec 20, 2017 2:17 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA (Post 29196001)
Promotor surveys - mindless babble to keep the interns busy.

You're last line shows that you have absolutely no idea about brand perception and consumer insight. But please, keep continue to focus on "proper" business metrics and I'm sure you'll fare well in the world.

orbitmic Dec 20, 2017 2:18 am

The whole concept of focusing on random benevolence (be it the 2000 miles for Christmas flying or the 25D champagne in a five day period) strikes me as rather dumb or oddly desperate. Cruz and co have so little respect for customer that they believe that they are after gimmicks, and I think that quite frankly, they are grossly mistaken.

opalfruit Dec 20, 2017 2:20 am

Desperate.

Not to mention awkward. Is this going to "surprise and delight" the folks in 25E and F?

Raffles Dec 20, 2017 2:22 am

Originally Posted by atcer28 (Post 29196065)

I think the average FT reader would prefer to sacrifice the champagne and sit nearer the front!

florens Dec 20, 2017 2:23 am

What about folks in seat 25Christmas?

Aus_Mal Dec 20, 2017 2:23 am

I don't like the concept of it being a fixed seat. As already discussed, this means the majority will be 'won' by frequent flyers and those knowledgeable in the ways of BA EC.

Should have been random, and BA promote it as a Christmas surprise.....

Raffles Dec 20, 2017 2:23 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 29196124)
The whole concept of focusing on random benevolence (be it the 2000 miles for Christmas flying or the 25D champagne in a five day period) strikes me as rather dumb or oddly desperate. Cruz and co have so little respect for customer that they believe that they are after gimmicks, and I think that quite frankly, they are grossly mistaken.

To be fair, if Virgin did this wouldn't we all be saying 'look at Virgin being all fun and innovative whilst BA sits back and does nothing'?

xenole Dec 20, 2017 2:30 am

I would have though that perhaps randomly upgrading someone in 25D, space and circumstances allowing, might have worked. That way they could still get the champagne and would probably have lounge access as part of their ticket class.

There's no 25D on my next flight unfortunately, unless the toilet on the A319 can be classed as that seat ;)
Sure I can survive 40 minutes. Plenty of time on Saturday to have a glass or two.

orbitmic Dec 20, 2017 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 29196136)

To be fair, if Virgin did this wouldn't we all be saying 'look at Virgin being all fun and innovative whilst BA sits back and does nothing'?

Not me! ;) However, I also think that it wouldn't have the same air of "we worsened the flying experience, customers seem unhappy, we don't want to reverse the policy not to lose face so let's manufacture some random happy customers we can use in a few press releases or hoping for a positive story in the Daily Mail"!

Worcester Dec 20, 2017 2:35 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 29196124)

A surprise and delight strategy can work to help create brand loyalty, it is one of the things we do, but I am afraid we only do it those we think will have influence with others. But key to this is not annoying those who don't get anything. I agree I think this is rather random and I suspect the result of a management brain storm which started "There is no budget for this but...."

Still it's nice for those in 25D.

Banana4321 Dec 20, 2017 2:46 am

Crikey I’ve seen some bul from marketing interns. But how did this get past everyone?!

bhbloke Dec 20, 2017 2:50 am

Where's your Christmas spirit, a nice gesture for those that find themselves in 25D.

xenole Dec 20, 2017 2:53 am

The 2000 bonus Avios was a nice touch. It may not be much to some but it saved me a few £ on an upcoming flight (someone could have used them to offset over a 1/5th of the cost of a recent HKG-LHR Y redemption so maybe better value there)

This one is flawed but if they choose correctly at check-in, it could make someone's day.

At the end of the all, we all know BA will never be able to please everyone.