Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Holiday cancelled due to Zika risk. Could use some help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday cancelled due to Zika risk. Could use some help.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I cancelled multiple trips due to Zika, and found that very few warm countries are totally free of the bug.

Once you start considering 'low-risk' countries, it becomes a rather cautious slope. We, for example, decided that if a mosquito bit Mrsmsm2000uk, Zika infected or not, we would spend the remainder of the trip worried and concerned.

As such, we ended up in Cape Town (Garden Route) and Moscow/St Petersburg...as well as Europe in the summer.

Friends of mine have just come back from Mauritius and said it was largely Zika free, but again, it's a matter of whether you want to take the risk.

I started a Zika thread in this Forum last year, and I remember a Doctor commenting and saying somerging along the lines of the hot places will still be there next year. If you don't need to take the risk, don't

M
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Availability will probably be your bind. The Middle East (MCT?) might be more achievable if you are willing to go through DOH or BAH; it may even be a high probability (opportunity) that you get bumped on to (up to) QR if you go via DOH.

Otherwise it may not be the longhaul trip you envisaged but there is availability to RAK, with temperatures in the 20s and a few options to add to the city visit.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:41 am

My wife and I are in the same boat, we were looking at a trip to Mauritius, as apparently that is Zika free. Or at least it was August when we were looking at booking it.
We decided against it in the end as we wouldn’t have had a flexible ticket and should there have been an outbreak we could have been out of pocket if we had cancelled. I think one of our other options was Dubai.

We opted for NYC in January where it’s should be cold enough to ensure a lack of mosquitos!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can find close-in JAL F availability and that's a very fine experience indeed. Then in Tokyo, go to an onsen (hot sprint) resort and spend some time in the city.

There's BA F Avios availability LHR-HND-LHR 16Jan / 23 Jan for example.

Last edited by flatlander; Dec 19, 2017 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I can second CPT if you haven't already been there. PLZ is also very nice.

If you've already done everywhere in ZAR, what about MRU or SEZ? With 500k Avios, Australia is not out of the question either.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Australia is hot in February. Melbourne and Sydney are beautiful, as are the Gold Coast. Fly to Cairo on Avios and pick up a supercheap business flight to Australia on Oman Air.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

The suggestions have been very helpful thank you.

I cant believe my luck but I have managed to pick up 2 club seats to CPT returning from JNB so I think we will drive the garden route. Not too much of a compromise.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by monkeytennis
The suggestions have been very helpful thank you.

I cant believe my luck but I have managed to pick up 2 club seats to CPT returning from JNB so I think we will drive the garden route. Not too much of a compromise.
The Garden Route is a great choice. I drove it last year and there are so many beautiful spots on the route. It will be very easy too to fly from PLZ to JNB for your return flight. RFS is available on the Comair flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.