Wiki Posts
Search

Shortest Club World Route options ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Shortest Club World Route options ?

Hi there,

My gf will be coming over from HKG and looking to redeem my AMEX companion vouchers. I only have 60k points left after her redemption albeit I can purchase more but would rather not lol.

Any ideas if there are any trips around europe that uses CW seats ? That is within the 60k avios pricerange ?

I am expecting about 10k from avios.com purchases but not sure if it will be in time. Will be looking to travel January. She will be here between 1st to 14th January so will be looking to travel between those dates

Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:54 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I believe Moscow and Tel Aviv are the shortest which offer Club World.

M
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Moscow is long-haul equipment on some regular flight numbers, but you'd need a visa

Iberia and BA both operate long-haul flights once a day to/from Madrid - the Iberia flight is actually the more reliable one (less risk of aircraft change) and a better on-board product in business class in my view - it's the 18.00 departure from LHR every day, and mid-afternoon return from MAD

Some other European routes (and even UK domestic ones) get occasional long-haul aircraft but it's basically random and not predictable

MAD route would be well with the 60k Avios budget
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:56 am

to be clear - Moscow & Tel Aviv would be full Club World product (meals etc.)

MAD is long-haul flat bed seats in business, but short-haul catering...though I found on Iberia this was actually pretty good for a 2 hour flight
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
DME is the shortest CW route, two different products offered - two A321 flights and a 777 flight.
RT in CW will set you back 68K for two seats, with your additional avios should be doable.

However, Moscow in January is not for those unkeen on cold weather, and you may need to factor in the the cost and time for a RF visa. That said, Moscow is a fascinating destination, with culture, sports, food, nightlife in spades.

Happy travels!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:05 am

by comparison - return in business class flat beds to MAD would be c. 15,000 Avios for 2 people if using an AMEX voucher
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ratypus
by comparison - return in business class flat beds to MAD would be c. 15,000 Avios for 2 people if using an AMEX voucher
True, when I said 68K avios, I wasn't count that OP would use a the AMEX 241.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:12 am

You can use 241 on IB metal?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
cost and time for a RF visa
Not to be underestimated. You need to visit a Visa office in London or Edinburgh personally to be fingerprinted!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by London_traveller
You can use 241 on IB metal?
Afraid not.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Not to be underestimated. You need to visit a Visa office in London or Edinburgh personally to be fingerprinted!
Very good point , i paid about 140 pound i believe for a 10 tourist visa when visiting a friend.

OP , if you do go with the DME option make sure to have a look at this website for solid visa advice - https://russiable.co.uk/getting-russ...nited-kingdom/
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
DME is the only CW route in Zone 3. All others start from zone 4 which starts from 62.5k offpeak return. I believe only BEY/AMM/TLV/CAI fall in that range, perhaps also KWI.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
One advantage of DME is that it is an RFS route so taxes/fees/charges are capped. The Russian visa is an issue, although can be avoided if just doing a b2b.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
One advantage of DME is that it is an RFS route so taxes/fees/charges are capped. The Russian visa is an issue, although can be avoided if just doing a b2b.
Would BA let you board without a visa even if its a b2b?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - so pretty much Moscow then for the long haul beds lol - any other countries ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.