Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA changed my upcoming flight time, can I cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold

Just got an email from BA saying that they are pushing my April LHR-INN flght out from 0750 to 1325 and also the return by a similar amount. It says if I'm happy I don't need to do anything but doesn't say what to do if I'm not. I'm not particularly happy; can I cancel?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by benjai
Just got an email from BA saying that they are pushing my April LHR-INN flght out from 0750 to 1325 and also the return by a similar amount. It says if I'm happy I don't need to do anything but doesn't say what to do if I'm not. I'm not particularly happy; can I cancel?
Yes, you can call up to cancel this and get a full refund, or move it to another date. A change over 2 hours allows for refunds under BA's procedures, or 5 hours per EC261.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Thanks cws! What do you mean by 5 hours per EC261? The delay here is 5.5 hours.

I bought a few tickets all in CE. Two were RFS, and one was outright but part pay with Avios. Will the refund be Avios and cash by whatever amounts I paid?

Also, is there a cut off on when I can cancel by? I might want to wait a couple of weeks while I look for other options.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by benjai
Thanks cws! What do you mean by 5 hours per EC261? The delay here is 5.5 hours.
Well, clearly being more than 5 hours means you would have qualified for a refund under EC261, but as it happens BA's policy is more generous than EC261, so you're double covered. The refund on the part pay ticket may well be fully cash, so no refund of the Avios but a higher cash amount. Reports on that have varied. But it's another reason why best to avoid part pay, it's very poor value for money. I don't think there is a cut off time, but I can imagine on that particular route at that time of year that fares will get any cheaper.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
I also had my flight time changed for INN-LHR at the end of March today, I presume BA has just shuffled the INN schedule slightly? Mine was only changed by 15 mins so fairly non-consequential (departure at 1550 moved to 1605).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A change over 2 hours allows for refunds under BA's procedures
Worth noting that while this is indeed the official procedure, in practice any unfavourable schedule change can open up a rebooking if you can demonstrate it is no longer suitable. For example, I had a first-wave departure moved forward by half an hour earlier this year which would have been hard to make on the tube, so they moved me to the mid-morning departure (on my request but with no argument). I was impressed.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Schedule changes have different policies when it comes to changing date/time or refunds, depending on the time difference.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:54 am

BA changed my flight from OSL to LHR. They cancelled the 1140 and put me on the first 0725 flight. I am BA Gold. Next day I have a return flight 1925 which I want to move to 1240. Would BA let me change the inbound flight FOC when they change the outbound?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
BA changed my flight from OSL to LHR. They cancelled the 1140 and put me on the first 0725 flight. I am BA Gold. Next day I have a return flight 1925 which I want to move to 1240. Would BA let me change the inbound flight FOC when they change the outbound?
Is your fare a plus fare? If so, why not use SDC to move the inbound? Alternatively consider cancelling the entire ticket and re-booking it. This should be possible due to the cancelled outbound but will obviously depend on the cost of a new ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
Is your fare a plus fare? If so, why not use SDC to move the inbound? Alternatively consider cancelling the entire ticket and re-booking it. This should be possible due to the cancelled outbound but will obviously depend on the cost of a new ticket.
No, it is a HBO ticket So no chance they will let me change then I guess. I can go to the ticket office in the F lounge now and ask them.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
There is generally flexibility discretion when it comes to delaying the return so that you have the same number of days away. This is easier to see on one-a-day routes when someone may be having a short break away, and wouldn't want two days away to come down to just one day. You definitely have the ability to get a refund in this scenario, and you should do the maths to work out if that is a better option. But you can still call up and ask if they will bring the flight forward under discretion. That said, given that Plus is usually only a little more expensive than Basic, it is a good reminder to consider whether FCOD is a benefit you could use.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:04 am

They just changed my flight too, from Los Angeles to Sacramento. Seems random...?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SuperFuzz
They just changed my flight too, from Los Angeles to Sacramento. Seems random...?
That will be American Airlines rather than BA.

AA change their schedules regularly, far more than BA.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That will be American Airlines rather than BA.

AA change their schedules regularly, far more than BA.
I just got one of those. Well in advance, this is in August and not the usual AA minimal shift but LAS-JFK from 07:55 to 21:45, arriving at 05:45+1 instead of the original 16:03. This is now an overnight flight in an AA recliner which I do not want, but AA seem to have reduced to a single flight per day. Also, I can no longer connect to the 744 BA116 service to LHR which now departs over 9 hours before my scheduled arrival into JFK.

Obviously I can request a change, I do not want a refund as it’s the very good Paris fare and I have GUF’d the JFK to LHR into A class. I also planned via JFK for the TP’s. There is LAS-LAX-JFK available, which would be acceptable but not in my originally ticketed I class, R is available. Can I insist or must I rebook into the ticketed class? It’s a BA ticket, which was all on BA codes.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I just got one of those. Well in advance, this is in August and not the usual AA minimal shift but LAS-JFK from 07:55 to 21:45, arriving at 05:45+1 instead of the original 16:03. This is now an overnight flight in an AA recliner which I do not want, but AA seem to have reduced to a single flight per day. Also, I can no longer connect to the 744 BA116 service to LHR which now departs over 9 hours before my scheduled arrival into JFK.

Obviously I can request a change, I do not want a refund as it’s the very good Paris fare and I have GUF’d the JFK to LHR into A class. I also planned via JFK for the TP’s. There is LAS-LAX-JFK available, which would be acceptable but not in my originally ticketed I class, R is available. Can I insist or must I rebook into the ticketed class? It’s a BA ticket, which was all on BA codes.
Well, thank you! After your post I went to AA to check my CDG-US trip and surprise surprise... the return part is completely messed up!

Original flights were LAS-LAX departing 07:00, then LAX-JFK departing 10:30 and last JFK-LHR on BA114 departing 21:30... all in one single day, with LHR-CDG the day after.
Now I find myself moved on LAS-LAX the evening before, LAX-JFK redeye AA 28 departing 23:30 and arriving 08:15... with a freaking very inconvenient 11h layover at JFK before the original, unchanged BA114 JFK-LHR.
My ticket is directly on AA, and so far I didn't get any email regarding this little mess... but I'm not going to leave it as it is now.

P.S.
I just realized also the inbound is messed up. AA cancelled/changed flights from JFK to LAX and now I should arrive with BA at JFK at 14:05 and connect to AA on a flight departing at 15:30

Last edited by Lefly; Mar 8, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.