Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible baggage handling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC
Thumbs down Terrible baggage handling

Was flying from LHR to FRA this morning, delayed for an hour. Pilot claimed that the baggage has some problem. After arriving Frankfurt, around 20 persons lost their luggage. The agent created a baggage missing number for each of us and claimed they will be sending to the hotel as soon as possible.

Once I arrived the city I bought a trousers, a shirt and 2 underware in primark and H&M. Just wait to see if they can locate my luggage before I need to buy more clothes. Will definitely claim such expenses from BA. Do BA set an upper limit for such claim?

And IF my baggage is lost, what should I claim from BA? Or I can only claim from insurance company?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by neofung
Was flying from LHR to FRA this morning, delayed for an hour. Pilot claimed that the baggage has some problem. After arriving Frankfurt, around 20 persons lost their luggage. The agent created a baggage missing number for each of us and claimed they will be sending to the hotel as soon as possible.

Once I arrived the city I bought a trousers, a shirt and 2 underware in primark and H&M. Just wait to see if they can locate my luggage before I need to buy more clothes. Will definitely claim such expenses from BA. Do BA set an upper limit for such claim?

And IF my baggage is lost, what should I claim from BA? Or I can only claim from insurance company?
I doubt with Primark BA will have grounds to complain about your extravagance....
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
if your baggage is actually lost - not just delayed which it is at present - you claim from BA but there is an international treaty limit (which I think is around £1,200 but don't quote me on that for exactitude) any more than that then it is insurance. BUT actually very few bags are ever lost for ever,

As to your immediate needs if you keep the costs reasonable for essential clothes and toiletries then BA will reimburse you no problem if you keep the receipts. Given the number of people affected thuis week I wouldn't expect the claim to be processed quickly!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Do BA set an upper limit for such claim?
They need to be genuinely essential items and reasonable and only cover the period during which the baggage is missing, and it is not (at least generally) reimbursed if the particular journey was back to your home base.

You also must produce receipts so make sure you do not lose them.

My policy is only ever buy things that I am happy to foot the bill myself for. That simple rule has served me well over the years with all delayed baggage incidents with any airlines, and have had the full reimbursement quickly in all cases (the longest wait from any carrier was 2 weeks from the date I submitted the claim before the money was received in my account).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm very new to Frankfurt thus asked the hotel receptionist and went to the downtown walking street for shops. Until now I spent 60euros for clothes for the next two days.
And I just discovered that they put the following in my claim. Yet I think not to useful in finding my bag.
Special Instructions:C CLAASS PAX
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:04 pm

I'm very new to Frankfurt thus asked the hotel receptionist and went to the downtown walking street for shops. Until now I spent 60euros for clothes for the next two days.
Sounds entirely reasonable to me.
I very much doubt you'd have any problems claiming that back.

And I just discovered that they put the following in my claim. Yet I think not to useful in finding my bag.
Special Instructions:C CLAASS PAX
I don't think the class of travel would help to find the bag but usually it's not lost, but rather delayed. I had two instances when I had some doubts as to whether my bags would be found but they were eventually found (OK, one was found by me, long story, but it worked out well for everyone).

I assume you know about the WorldTracer page.
BA page will be displayed through the following link:
www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/ba.htm

Don't be too alarmed by the status shown on WorldTracer - they aren't real-time and often not updated. With most airlines it's grossly out of date and does not represent the real status. However, it is very useful for keeping your details up-to-date, e.g. hotel address etc., date you'll be home, etc. So I recommend you use it to feed information into the system rather than to get updates from it.

I hope you get reunited with your baggage soon.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Sounds entirely reasonable to me.
I very much doubt you'd have any problems claiming that back.

I don't think the class of travel would help to find the bag but usually it's not lost, but rather delayed. I had two instances when I had some doubts as to whether my bags would be found but they were eventually found (OK, one was found by me, long story, but it worked out well for everyone).

I assume you know about the WorldTracer page.
BA page will be displayed through the following link:
www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/ba.htm

Don't be too alarmed by the status shown on WorldTracer - they aren't real-time and often not updated. With most airlines it's grossly out of date and does not represent the real status. However, it is very useful for keeping your details up-to-date, e.g. hotel address etc., date you'll be home, etc. So I recommend you use it to feed information into the system rather than to get updates from it.

I hope you get reunited with your baggage soon.
thank you for your advice and the worst case is to send the bag home directly ...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:47 pm

thank you for your advice and the worst case is to send the bag home directly ...
My pleasure. I hope you get your bag quickly.

If needed, BA will (have to) arrange that. For that purpose as well, make sure you keep the info on WorldTracer updated, or your bag could end up in FRA with you back at home.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My pleasure. I hope you get your bag quickly.

If needed, BA will (have to) arrange that. For that purpose as well, make sure you keep the info on WorldTracer updated, or your bag could end up in FRA with you back at home.
Received multiple sms from BA today. Saying on BA908 and BA904. And said it is in Frankfurt. The information is not clear from BA and still not receive bag now 23:08 German time.

and for those who may search this thread in the future, QR website provides a much better worldtrace link with more updated info of the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.