Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYE party on a plane??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I'm on a BA TATL JFK-LHR that night too, but F on 777 so not same flight as the OP (just checked)
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
I'll be on BA284 in J on NYE. Hoping for a bit of a party at the SFO departure lounge prior.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I was on an IB flight from EZE-MAD on NYE 3 years ago and it was very muted. The flight crew had their families on board and they came out one after the other to have a quick toast but it was all low key. IIRC they handed out extra champagne but otherwise it was like any other flight. I know Argentineans don't make as much fuss at new year than Christmas.
I'd do it again just because NYE never matches the hype and it's usually alot cheaper than flying a few days later!!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
We're in CW on the BA208 from MIA - LHR this NYE.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
We are on BA49 LHR- SEA on Dec 31st - arrival scheduled 16:25 so maybe a pre-NYE party?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA VS
Smile

I've been on VS at the designated time and it was all quiet. Some folks celebrating but most sleeping. On the other hand, a daylight from Banjul in the late 1980s on B-Cal on Christmas Day? The DC-10-30 was almost empty and the party started right after 'seatbelts'! Visits to the flight deck, champers, funny hats - it was memorable. Also, very shortly after rotation, we dipped across to the beach. We learnt later that the incoming crew had made a bealine for the beach to celebrate Xmas in the sun and wave us off back to cold Blighty. Great times.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Also flown over new year, depends the airline and how laid back the attitude is for a day flight but night flights is generally business like usual.
Cabin crew will probably be a bit more chatty either way.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Should be leaving Addis Ababa at 23:59 EAT on the 31st, wondering how the Ethiopians celebrate NYE. Seems like it'll be wheels up instead of knees up, but we shall raise a glass at UK time if we're still awake.

And maybe CAT, CET...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Flew back from YVR a couple of years ago on NYE in J and there was very little acknowledgement of the date, it was just like any other flight. YMMV.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:20 am

We’ve flown a couple of NYE flights, to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur and although the cabin was quiet there is something special about toasting the new year with a glass of champagne whilst watching fireworks go off below you as you head off on holiday
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

We got stuck in DOH last NYE due to fog at DXB. So, instead of arriving home in time for Jools Holland, we were in the Al Safwa lounge.

At midnight, all the lounge staff gathered round and sang "I believe I can fly", which was actually a lot nicer than it sounds. It certainly improved my mood before we headed of for our 01:30 flight back to MAN.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think all the 'special' treatment you'll get is both the Captain and the SCCM adding "and wish you a very happy new year" to their post-landing messages.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I did a couple of NYE flights on Long Haul and we poured a few glasses of champagne and walked though the Club cabin with a tray and offered it to anyone who was awake a few minutes before midnight based on departure time zone.

I also insisted on having a drink in the galley for the crew. Champagne glass, half apple juice, had sparkling water. Had to at least make it look real.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
I was also thinking, do you get to celebrate it multiple times if you're flying West as you travel through each time zone? That would be fun an totally unnecessary, unfortunately I'll be flying East.
Absolutely! I flew back from HKG on NYE last year and celebrated at least five times... actually I lost track of the time zones in the end but I enjoyed myself
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I did a couple of NYE flights on Long Haul and we poured a few glasses of champagne and walked though the Club cabin with a tray and offered it to anyone who was awake a few minutes before midnight based on departure time zone.

I also insisted on having a drink in the galley for the crew. Champagne glass, half apple juice, had sparkling water. Had to at least make it look real.
I'd have requested cranberry juice instead for a luxurious Kir Royal effect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.