Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holiday - Avis charging no-show fee

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald), SK*G, STeliteplus; Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
BA Holiday - Avis invoicing me for no-show fee

I have received in the post an invoice from Avis, following a 'no-show' for a car booked as a flight+car package on ba.com

I've often seen mention around these parts that booking a package and not collecting the vehicle carries no risk, so I thought people might want to know - on this occasion at least - that is incorrect.

Avis has applied a 'Compensation for No Show' charge of EUR50, and deducted a 'Voucher Prepayment' credit, leaving me with a small sum "now due" on the invoice which then provides their bank details and address for payment to be made. It's the sort of small sum that might snowball should I ignore it and they decide to sell the 'debt' to a collection agency.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Should I speak to BA Holidays about this, would they assess it differently?
Or should I stump up, then think-on and look sharp in future?

Last edited by paulieuk; Dec 6, 2017 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
What was the car hire collection location please?

i use the flight plus car hire a lot so very interested in this!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by paulieuk
I have received in the post an invoice from Avis, following a 'no-show' for a car booked as a flight+car package on ba.com

I've often seen mention around these parts that booking a package and not collecting the vehicle carries no risk, so I thought people might want to know - on this occasion at least - that is incorrect.

Avis has applied a 'Compensation for No Show' charge of EUR50, and deducted a 'Voucher Prepayment' credit, leaving me with a small sum "now due" on the invoice which then provides their bank details and address for payment to be made. It's the sort of small sum that might snowball should I ignore it and they decide to sell the 'debt' to a collection agency.

Hope this is not true - but given that you can now no longer change an Avis booking booked as part of a package or show up the following morning after a late flight as I often did, it would fit the trend of them becoming less flexible.

I can only see this as being bad for business as they will be driving customers away.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I would tell them that the rental fees for the reservation of the vehicle were paid in full and they are entitled to no further sum.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald), SK*G, STeliteplus; Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
What was the car hire collection location please?
This was Frankfurt airport.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Shows how much they depend on screwing you for extras when you pick up the car, since in any other business the best sort of customer is one who pays but never takes delivery.

Oddly Avis has never offered me cash compensation when the car group I have paid for is not available when I pick up.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
No show fees

Have had a similar problem and for the last 3 days been talking to various Car Rental Brokers. I would now never not pick up a car more thank than 2 hours late.

If you miss a connecting flight and that flight arrives on time you are at the mercy of the rental company and their good will .

Over the years have never given a thought to the consequences of picking up a car late and lost count of the number of times I have don it

If the rental company are expecting you to pick up a car at a pre- arranged time and you no show or arrive very late do not assume their will be no consequences
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This was Frankfurt airport.
Now I'm not sure how the international dimension to this would play out, but the Consumer Rights Act quite specifically rules out this sort of practice. In Schedule 2 is a list of examples of unacceptable practices, including this one:

Originally Posted by CRA
A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the trader a disproportionately high sum in compensation or for services which have not been supplied.
Unless the hire company could show additional costs for not moving a particular vehicle (parking fees?), the 50€ charge seems disproportionate to me.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Interesting

Does the CRA trump the hire company's t&cs ?

If not, I assume Avis would need to show you where in the contract you signed you agreed to the charge...

Also, per the debt collection point, if you paid it under protest then claimed it back via MCOL would you have a case ?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Now I'm not sure how the international dimension to this would play out, but the Consumer Rights Act quite specifically rules out this sort of practice. In Schedule 2 is a list of examples of unacceptable practices, including this one:

Unless the hire company could show additional costs for not moving a particular vehicle (parking fees?), the 50€ charge seems disproportionate to me.
Really? €5m is to me disportionate; €5,000 expensive. €50 for keeping a car garaged? Good luck arguing that.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL

Avis terms (see section 4) are quite clear on this. On a pre-paid booking, the penalty for a no-show is simply the cost of the rental. I would raise this both with BA Holidays and Avis Customer Service.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Dec 6, 2017 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL
There is also a clause which states that -

"You have the right to prove that neither the vehicle rental provider nor us has sustained any loss or any loss sustained is significantly lower than the amount deducted, and if proved, you may be entitled to a full or partial refund."

I was recently charged £40 for a rental I didn't pick up and forgot to cancel, with a contract value under £25 (corporate rate). I called and quoted this term and managed to get a partial refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.