Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-Carrier Reward Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by frb98mf
Really? So if you are doing say 25,000 miles with say 5x4000 miles and 1x5000 miles flights, the Avios applicable for the entire ticket are based on that 1x5000 miles flight? That seems too good to be true...
That is also mentioned in here http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/09...a-new-zealand/

"In theory you need to have every segment in the same class as just one in a higher class will reprice the entire itinerary. However, some people have reportedly had agents charge based on the longest class flown, ie if 60% is economy and 40% First then they were charged economy!"
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
All I can conclude from this thread and several others on the same subject is that there is great inconsistency by BA and OW partners on the interpretation of the rules for multi-carrier Avios bookings. Occasionally this leads to real bargains. Often it appears not.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: ba,dl,qr
As a newbie and a retiree with time on my hands based in UK, I’m trying to put together one of these one world multi carrier avios trips to Oz/NZ for 2 plus a few stopovers both ways. I’ve read a lot of different forums on the subject and have come up with a draft trip plan which will take at least 6 weeks starting around this time next year. Can anyone help with assessing validity? I realise the theory might differ from the practice when I try to book.

LHR-AMSx-HKGo-CNSo-BNE//SYD-AKLo-KULo-CMBo-LHR using BA, CX, QF, MH and UL.

As far as I can see that satisfies the rules with 5 stopovers, 1 transfer (but may need another and some more miles to get back from CMB to LHR) and 1 open jaw. Mileage is 24022 on gc mapper so 240k avios in J and room for a lengthy transfer routeing out of CMB if needed.
Anyone see any issues with the routeing or airlines used?

One thing I would appreciate feedback on is the timing of trying to book this. As the last flights will be 5 or 6 weeks at least after the first I presume I can't book until availability for the last flights is open, which will limit my possible options for the earlier flights but I guess I'll just have to hope that reward flights have not all been nabbed at that stage....?

Appreciate any views.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by legrandfromage
As a newbie and a retiree with time on my hands based in UK, I’m trying to put together one of these one world multi carrier avios trips to Oz/NZ for 2 plus a few stopovers both ways. I’ve read a lot of different forums on the subject and have come up with a draft trip plan which will take at least 6 weeks starting around this time next year. Can anyone help with assessing validity? I realise the theory might differ from the practice when I try to book.

LHR-AMSx-HKGo-CNSo-BNE//SYD-AKLo-KULo-CMBo-LHR using BA, CX, QF, MH and UL.

As far as I can see that satisfies the rules with 5 stopovers, 1 transfer (but may need another and some more miles to get back from CMB to LHR) and 1 open jaw. Mileage is 24022 on gc mapper so 240k avios in J and room for a lengthy transfer routeing out of CMB if needed.
Anyone see any issues with the routeing or airlines used?

One thing I would appreciate feedback on is the timing of trying to book this. As the last flights will be 5 or 6 weeks at least after the first I presume I can't book until availability for the last flights is open, which will limit my possible options for the earlier flights but I guess I'll just have to hope that reward flights have not all been nabbed at that stage....?

Appreciate any views.
I will let others quote on the validity but seems fine to me.

I have made a couple of MPR bookings recently and one thing you should consider is getting the availability with partners is a lot easier than BA and in my experience it is definitely not better to make the booking at T-355 (or T-330 depending on the airline). I cancelled my first MPR and replaced it with a better, more straightforward, routing with only 6 months to go to departure as better availability on CX and MH had opened up.

Originally had MAN-HKG-PEK-SYD-BNE-SIN-HKG for 200,000 in J with a return from HKG-ZRH-MAN on SWISS with *A miles

Replaced it with MAN-HKG-KUL-SYD-BNE-HKG-MAN for 240,000 in J all in booked with 6 months to go.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
I can't comment on the validity of this specific itinerary but as a data point I have booked a multi carrier booking with two "open jaws" (i.e. two overland sectors) and there was no issue with that. There were some older posts here confirming the same.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: ba,dl,qr
Thanks Baracus and mec72. Sounds encouraging.

As I read earlier posts the 8 sector rule seems to be enforced but if a 2 sector transfer is under 1 flight number it counts as one sector? Can anyone confirm any direct experience of that?
Thanks
lgf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.