Wiki Posts
Search

No seatbelts for infants! [Comair]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Marilu
The safest way of traveling with infants is with a car seat. BA's regulations don't make sense at all (forward versus rear-facing). They don't even allow car seats for infants under 6 months, when they are at their most fragile. That is outrageous from a safety standpoint. I just wouldn't fly with BA. I've heard their customer service is horrendous, anyway. Whatever airline you fly with, definitely print out their rules from their website; in my experience, flight crew more often than not do not know their own rules with regards to car seats.

As for a 5 point versus 3 point harness, are you sure yours is not a 5 point? Every car seat I've looked at has a 5-point harness system.
Far more airlines than BA have the same rules about no rear facing car seats, if you did some research you'd be surprised at how many. From BA's point of view most rear facing car seats sold in the UK can only be secured using a 3 point seat belt which of course planes don't have
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Many US states require a helmet.

Watching Air Emergency one night (don't remember the particular crash-but it was US), the FA advised a woman with lap child to assume the crash position and hold the child against the floor-those where the airlines guidelines. Mother lived. She never saw her child again. A crash is always unlikely, but I simply cannot see how its possible to secure a baby 8-30 pounds with your arms/hands in the event of an emergency. After that, we get a seat and put them in it.
Interestingly, BA038 in Jan 2008 (777, both engines total failure at 500 feet, just before the perimeter fence) all happened so fast that there was absolutely no time for the pilot and FO to do anything but try and fly their 200 metric ton 'glider' for the last few seconds and not hit the houses, petrol station or road below. No time for the Captain to even alert the cabin crew, let alone prep the passengers. It hit the dirt some several hundred meters short of the runway doing maybe 120kts (can't remember the exact figures).

Due to ridiculous levels of calm and skill from the two pilots, everyone walked away, despite the fact that no-one was assuming the brace position.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Pascoe
It hit the dirt some several hundred meters short of the runway doing maybe 120kts (can't remember the exact figures).
About 108 kts, having a quick look at the report.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:26 am

Ok fair enough - I was a little out.

But it was a pretty miraculous thing. The book by the pilot is worth a read.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Ok fair enough - I was a little out.

But it was a pretty miraculous thing. The book by the pilot is worth a read.
From memory, that was pretty close! It was indeed a good ending to something that could have ended very badly. A great combination of airmanship, skill and a bit of luck.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Threads such as this all come down to the same basic principle, e.g. that different nations have different laws.

Prescription drugs, infant procedures aboard aircraft, baggage in exit rows, exit row qualifications, visas, and many others.

If one travels, one quickly learns to either ask those who have gone before or to do some simple research regarding issues which may arise. It really is not that surprising.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:19 am

Agreed, but safety of peoples' little ones is always, always an emotive subject. Although imho that in no way excuses the rudeness of the poster near the start of this tread.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Agreed, but safety of peoples' little ones is always, always an emotive subject.
Context matters. In the context of this discussion emotion is irrelevant... it’s about written policy/procedure and acting within the confines of the rules.

If the topic of discussion was “should policy be changed”, then perhaps a more emotional response would be expected (though still not warranted).
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by kb9522

Context matters. In the context of this discussion emotion is irrelevant... it’s about written policy/procedure and acting within the confines of the rules.

If the topic of discussion was “should policy be changed”, then perhaps a more emotional response would be expected (though still not warranted).
Well my whole post did include reference to the fact that I thought the response was not warranted. So we're basically in agreement.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
The recommended time is no more than 2 hours in a car seat at a time, indeed when my 16m old was born I was recommended no more than an hour
A new range of car seats, have a 'lie-flat' feature, which allows the baby to stay in the car seat for longer - albeit more so as a backup opposed to a regular option.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.