Wiki Posts
Search

Has the STR lounge changed?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Has the STR lounge changed?

I've got an upcoming STR-LHR flight. On MMB and FT it talks about the Executive Club Lounge (BA branded?), but on oneworld.com it just mentions the 3rd party Elli-Beinhorn Lounge.

Has anyone had any recent experiences? I might be turning up early so a 3rd party lounge might be better if a BA lounge is only open during BA flight times.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I haven't been there in recent months, but at the start of the year the situation was that there were 2 available lounges, the Executive Club lounge being the former BA lounge with about 70% of the Terraces branding, and the separate but tiny Elli-Beinborn lounge not far away. I think they were both run by the same company, BA having passed the lounge over to them some years ago, hence the fading Terraces branding. The EB lounge is a Priority Pass lounge but it has strange opening times (on the PP website). I'm hoping the Executive Club lounge is still going, but I fear it may have been closed. Please let us know what the result is.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I haven't been there in recent months, but at the start of the year the situation was that there were 2 available lounges, the Executive Club lounge being the former BA lounge with about 70% of the Terraces branding, and the separate but tiny Elli-Beinborn lounge not far away. I think they were both run by the same company, BA having passed the lounge over to them some years ago, hence the fading Terraces branding. The EB lounge is a Priority Pass lounge but it has strange opening times (on the PP website). I'm hoping the Executive Club lounge is still going, but I fear it may have been closed. Please let us know what the result is.
For what it's worth, this matches my experience in July (Executive Club was open).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I am just back from STR - great City.

I used the ‘Executive Club’ lounge - yes it’s a bit dated and tatty but snacks and food were good and enough to pass the time before we boarded.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by our_kid
I am just back from STR - great City.
I used the ‘Executive Club’ lounge - yes it’s a bit dated and tatty but snacks and food were good and enough to pass the time before we boarded.
Agree, Stuttgart is underrated. Lovely Christmas market also...
Will be there this weekend and glad to hear the Executive Club lounge is still in use, as I am not keen on the Elli Beinhorn option.
There’s a very jolly lounge angel there, slightly older lady, but I can’t remember her name.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by above the clouds
Agree, Stuttgart is underrated. Lovely Christmas market also...
Will be there this weekend and glad to hear the Executive Club lounge is still in use, as I am not keen on the Elli Beinhorn option.
There’s a very jolly lounge angel there, slightly older lady, but I can’t remember her name.
I will be there Dec 15-17 for Xmas market with family, so will report back how the lounge is. Just hoping they have sausage in there, like JAL in Frankfurt. Was sorely disappointed by the MUC Lounge last weekend, only had cold McNuggets to serve :-(
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just my regular ping for STR visitors to go to the amazing Mercedes Benz museum in Stuttgart, you don't need to be a petrolhead to enjoy it.
our_kid, shefgab, Cymro and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Just hoping they have sausage in there (
Don't get your hopes up, it's basically biscuits and crisps in the lounge, but you can get sausage downstairs in the terminal and just about everywhere else in Stuttgart....

For a 'sit down' German dining experience I recommend the 'Alte Kanzlei' restaurant on 'Schlossplatz' right in the city centre.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Late Kanzlei was great! Currently in STR lounge, night thing special. Quite worn, but fairly quiet. Decent selection of drinks and newspapers, otherwise an average outstation lounge. BAEC sign is quite old though. Think they have changed their logo many times since...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Late Kanzlei was great! Currently in STR lounge, night thing special. Quite worn, but fairly quiet. Decent selection of drinks and newspapers, otherwise an average outstation lounge. BAEC sign is quite old though. Think they have changed their logo many times since...
It‘s not old it‘s retro. I like the STR lounge, and since Air Berlin went bust it no longer is over crowded.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The STR lounge is a bit of an oddity; originally a BA-operated Executive Club lounge, it received some of the Terraces furniture in the mid-2000s when BA still operated it. It's now operated by a third party (perhaps the airport operator?) which explains the lack of refurbishment/updating of BA branding.

As mentioned up thread, the oneworld website no longer mentions this lounge; I wonder whether it may be closing soon.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Guest
Was in the STR lounge on Saturday, not one of the finest Oneworld establishments. Incredibly dated, shabby and tired. 'Food' offering amounted to at best, bar snacks. Wifi is very slow, and furniture an interesting mix of styles and comfort.

As for Stuttgart, the Mercedes Museum as mentioned by CWS is brilliant. I'd highly recommend taking the train slightly out of the city to Esslingen Christmas market, it's absolutely fantastic.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Has anyone been recently and would be able to report back on the current situation?

Passing through tomorrow evening but the reviews on the Elli-Beinhorn lounge are so bad that I might as well not bother and just have drink somewhere in the terminal.
Cheers
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:10 am

As of a month ago the ‘Executive Club’ lounge is still open.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Just to briefly report back:
The "Executive Club" lounge was indeed open this evening. The drinks offerings were adequate and in line with (potentially even slightly above) the average EU outstation however not adequately chilled.
Great shame as the good local beer ("Tannenzäpfle") and a decent German Sekt were stocked but plain warm and simply unenjoyable.

On our way we peeked into the Elli-Beinhorn lounge and cannot understand how this is listed as the "one and only" lounge on Oneworld.com. It certainly seemed to have the potential to scare customers away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.