Wiki Posts
Search

Like BA of Old

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Like BA of Old

Using 2 x 241 AMEX voucher, Mrs E2S, and the outlaws few from London Gatwick to Cape Town in CW, seats 11AB and 11JK, G-YMMR. Due to our recent experiences with BA over the past year or so and our preference for QR, we were not looking forward to the experience, especially for the Daily Hate reading outlaws who would be looking out for faults.

Check in was a breeze, and we were the only people passing through Premium security. Everyone enjoyed the Flounge, the only comment was the slider sandwiches were fairly awful, but there were plenty of other choices.

Boarding was controlled, with people needing assistance first, then premium passengers Business/GCH etc. On board, the plane looked clean, the TV screens and table were both unusually stable. Despite checking, there was no toilet in front of 10D/galley, and I think, but can't be certain, that there was only 1 at the front of the plane.

Pre-flight drinks were plentiful, seconds on offer if needed. Another couple in front of us were given a choice of fruit juice, as they didn’t want champagne (Castlenau) or water.

The CSM and his senior CC came and introduced themselves, and it was more than the usual “Hello and welcome on board”, and far less artificial than you sometimes get on QR. The outlaws got a similar greeting from the CC working their side. I also noticed the CC spent time talking with several other passengers during the flight.

Hot towels were then provided, something missing from my last BA flight back from SA. Menus were issued, even though we had pre-ordered the main. An apology was provided that the red wines on the menu (Australian Shiraz / California Pinot) were not available, and there was a Chianti and Cotes du Rhone instead.

Within 30-minutes of take-off drinks were on the way, we switched to Henriot, and the bottle was brought to us to pour, others were happy with the fizz on the trolley. Food orders were taken, and then another round of drinks, before the meal service began.

The Meze was very pleasant, and Mrs E2S enjoyed her salmon. We both had the Thai Chicken curry, which looked very bland, and while not spicy, was enjoyable. I switched to Red, and was given a taste of both the Chianti and Cotes du Rhone, deciding on the later.

During the night, I went for another bottle of water, unfortunately, there was none available, but the CC were happy for me to fill my bottle up from one of the large bottles on offer. I also noticed that the Club Kitchen had appeared to be re-stocked, but mainly with crisps and chocolate.

Woke about 90 minutes before landing, and had the fruit salad, unfortunately all the fruit was a little sour, and the full English, which was tasty enough. Mrs E2S had the omelette, and found that a little bland, and the sauce on it a little runny. The black coffee was warm and wet. After breakfast was cleared away, another round of hot towels were provided.

We arrived in a cool wet Cape Town after the Lufthansa flight and the BA43, so getting through immigration took forever, but on the plus side our baggage was on the conveyor as we walked up to it.

The CC were fantastic and the service was excellent, and the outlaws even commented that they were made to feel very special on the flight
Tobias-UK, bil, argonath and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:36 am

Sounds like a great flight. A good crew do indeed make all the difference between and okay and a great flight.

The refilling of the water bottles is a pet peeve of mine. I know it makes no difference and you are drinking the exact same things, but it just feels a bit cheap to watch them do that in business class.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A timely report, as we're doing the same run on Saturday! And we've ordered the Thai Chicken Curry! Thanks for reporting ^

We got caught behind the LH last time as well ... a very slow immigration process.

Fingers crossed we get as good a crew as you did ... our last one was very sub-par. And we might even get away without a last-minute airframe swap this time, although I'm not holding my breath
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
A timely report, as we're doing the same run on Saturday! And we've ordered the Thai Chicken Curry! Thanks for reporting ^

We got caught behind the LH last time as well ... a very slow immigration process.

Fingers crossed we get as good a crew as you did ... our last one was very sub-par. And we might even get away without a last-minute airframe swap this time, although I'm not holding my breath
Which airframe are you hoping for?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by escape2sun
We arrived in a cool wet Cape Town after the Lufthansa flight and the BA43, so getting through immigration took forever, but on the plus side our baggage was on the conveyor as we walked up to it.
On my recent trip to JNB I paid US$ 59 for a meet and greet service that bypassed the immigartion queues and had us in a taxi less than 30 min after leaving the plane. That price will cover up to 4 pax and I thought it was well worthwhile. The company concerened was Pearl Assist and they operate in Cape Town as well.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 'andad
Which airframe are you hoping for?
The same one I booked the seats for!

The 48J was originally on offer, and seems to be sticking so far! However, I won't print BPs at OLCI, just in case there's a last-minute change [as usual!].

I'll pass on the USD59 for Pearl Assist ... that represents far too many glasses of wine
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
However, I won't print BPs at OLCI, just in case there's a last-minute change
Why would you ever print BPs - other than at the airport if you really want hard copies?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Why would you ever print BPs - other than at the airport if you really want hard copies?
1. I don't have a smart phone

2. I like everything sorted out before I travel.

3. Paper doesn't need batteries
highpeaklad likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
1. I don't have a smart phone

2. I like everything sorted out before I travel.

3. Paper doesn't need batteries
Fair enough - though better to let the airport print the thingies for you if you want them on paper

Enjoy SA and the vineyards!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
The outlaws, while have one of our old iPhone, refused to have electronic boarding passes, must be an age thing.

The long queues at immigration we make sure you see the drought information poster, it is rather large.

Remember to drink the wine, as there is a limit of 87 Litres/person for water usage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.