Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Telegraph carrier ratings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Daily Telegraph carrier ratings

I've not seen a thread on this piece from yesterday from the Daily Telegraph - apologies if I've missed it.

Swiss has taken the title of best short-haul airline in the 2017 Telegraph Travel Awards, based on the opinions of almost 90,000 readers, while Singapore Airlines has been named number one for long haul. Switzerland's flag carrier rose from 2nd place in 2016 to claim the top spot from British Airways. BA, which has endured a tough couple of years, slipped dramatically down the rankings to 13th overall. Icelandair came second ahead of Channel Island carrier Aurigny.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...travel-awards/

It seems pretty significant for BA - the pennypinching does seem to be having consequences. It's a classic "Tesco" strategy, i.e. falling in the middle between premium and budget, with customer expectations set over a considerable period not being reached, and not being the cheapest, so differentiation becomes difficult. Whether that turns into fiscal consequences is anyone's guess, I suspect that'll manifest when BA need some actual top line growth and find it difficult to dislodge competitors.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
British Airways appears nowhere in Tripadvisor votes
Korean air and Garuda appear in top 10 world wide but no BA
not in European top 10
best Uk Jet 2!
BA Not mentioned in best in Class either
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It really is a tragically bad showing by BA.

I suspect Telegraph readers are the type who will vote with irritation over BA's antics over the last xouple of years. I know I did when I voted on-line
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I still can't understand how they've kept such a high rating on Skytrax...they're slated every day on the reviews!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:56 am

Good to see LX out on top, and deservedly so! (Maybe I'm somewhat biased being ZRH based )
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by headingwest
I still can't understand how they've kept such a high rating on Skytrax...they're slated every day on the reviews!
Reading in the Sunday Times they have gone from 26 to 40 in the skytrax ratings .
I had thought they had gone from 4 star to 3 star last year but just checked they are still 4 star
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
40th? They've been sliding down that list for years. There will always be a crowd who keep them off the very bottom because they're BA but they're miles away from their competitors.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
No doubt whatsoever in my mind that BA are nowhere near where they were against the opposition even just a few years ago but these tables are pretty meaningless in terms of accurate comparisons.

Maybe BA should retaliate and ban the Telegraph from their lounges?
rapidex and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Do Swiss advertise in the Telegraph? They’re famously protective of their advertisers...
TabTraveller likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Cruz seems to be on the back foot just at the moment. There was an interview in the Metro yesterday I think where he reiterated that BA would remain a premium airline - if you have to say that you've already lost the battle of perception.

He also used the comparison between BA ticket prices now and at the time of privatisation - that is horrifically self-referential, they should be positioning themselves against competitors not against their own legacy.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:28 am

Surprised BA managed to get 13th spot. Seems an appropriate numerical rating for BA these days.
Nevermind, the new White Company lipstick on a pig bedding in perpetual rollout from now until the year 2023/4/5/6 ..??? plus the enhanced 4 hour meal service times in the new improved CW will push BA back up to their former glory.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
13th? You are having a laugh. I could give you a list of 30 airlines that are better than BA. Better IFE, better seats, better metal, better lounges, better perks, FREE FOOD on domestic. The list goes on and on. (in fairness BA CC are good to very good on the whole).

Come to think about it the only major western airlines I would place below BA are American, United and Ryanair. (I think EJ and BA are equal at this point).

Way to go Cruz. Far too obsessed with penny pinching and spreadsheet. He has destroyed what was once a world beating product.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I could give you a list of 30 airlines that are better than BA.
Go on then.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Go on then.
OK

Qatar
Singapore
ANA
Emirates
Cathay Pacific
EVA Air
Lufthansa
Etihad Airways
Garuda Indonesia
Virgin Atlantic
Swiss
Qantas
Japan Airlines
Austrian
Air France
Air New Zealand
KLM
Hong Kong Airlines
Finnair
Cathay Dragon
Norwegian
Air Canada
Malaysian
Delta (nowadays)
Alaska Airlines
Aer Lingus (on par)
Iberia
South African
Oman Air
Royal Brunei
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Come to think about it the only major western airlines I would place below BA are American, United and Ryanair..
Have you flown AA TATL recently? Far better J hard product than BA.
cosmo74, LCSinTexas and capin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.