Search

BA booked vs TA booked tickets..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
BA booked vs TA booked tickets..

BA & BA website booked tickets vs TA booked tickets.. Why does BA treat the latter like something you find under a rock? Other airlines' service desks don't have the same attitude. They will go all out to assist the very thing that matters..The passenger!

Yes, it's the middle of the night now and I need to make changes to my booking. There's one seat in the desired booking class of my reservation. My TA is closed. This was the booking that I couldn't complete the transaction online in the first place (It kept hanging after "Proceed to Payment").

I tweeted to BA who replied that they know that there were issues with their website and simply said to 'call'. But by that time I had already made my booking through a TA because the debit card that I wanted to use can only be used in person on transactions or thru enhanced online security procedures like Secure by Visa. It cannot be used over the phone. My original post is here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29088089&postcount=2826

I figured that I should be okay as long as I don't need to make changes to my booking. But crumbs..I do now. And I fear for being told off..

is the BA Gold Line open on weekends?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Dec 1, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Yes on Sat. morning U.K. Time but not sure what time. 630am sticks in my mind but not sure.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
BA & BA website booked tickets vs TA booked tickets.. Why does BA treat the latter like something you find under a rock? Other airlines' service desks don't have the same attitude. They will go all out to assist the very thing that matters..The passenger!

Yes, it's the middle of the night now and I need to make changes to my booking. There's one seat in the desired booking class of my reservation. My TA is closed. This was the booking that I couldn't complete the transaction online in the first place (It kept hanging after "Proceed to Payment").

I tweeted to BA who replied that they know that there were issues with their website and simply said to 'call'. But by that time I had already made my booking through a TA because the debit card that I wanted to use can only be used in person on transactions or thru enhanced online security procedures like Secure by Visa. It cannot be used over the phone. My original post is here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...postcount=2826

I figured that I should be okay as long as I don't need to make changes to my booking. But crumbs..I do now. And I fear for being told off..

is the BA Gold Line open on weekends?
Hi GB,

yes, unfortunate but I guess we have come to accept that's the way it is. Isn't it all airlines that refuse to make changes to TA booked tickets unless under airport control for irrops?

I trust you are ready for a frustrating call with the Gold desk.. don't think they will bother as well fo the same reason.

good luck tho.
Globalist
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I believe airlines do not (at least usually) touch unflown tickets issued through a TA until it is under 24 hours before departure?

If you need to make changes to your booking made through a TA, and you have not yet flown, and it is more than 24 hours before departure, and the flight has not been disrupted, then I believe you need to contact your TA. I believe that is certainly the case with BA bookings, at least.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I believe airlines do not (at least usually) touch unflown tickets issued through a TA until it is under 24 hours before departure?

If you need to make changes to your booking made through a TA, and you have not yet flown, and it is more than 24 hours before departure, and the flight has not been disrupted, then I believe you need to contact your TA. I believe that is certainly the case with BA bookings, at least.
Not much experience but Cathay local offices have done changes for me in the past.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Yes I know that. But this is the return sector.

Originally Posted by Nuster
Not much experience but Cathay local offices have done changes for me in the past.
Precisely.. And so has QF, and AA.

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:15 am

Yes I know that. But this is the return sector.

Precisely.. And so has QF, and AA.
​​​​​​​And LX, LH and OS.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
LH depends on the change. I needed to change a return date on a ticket after the 1st leg was flown and they would not do that they said I had to talk to the travel agent.

They could however upgrade the changed ticket to business class
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I’ve read on the DL board that DL will take over TA issued tickets if you pay DL $50.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rossmacd
And LX, LH and OS.
LH and OS only do a small range of changes, and won't do fare recalculation or on-carriage changes to agency bookings. Furthermore the final ticketing may require airport intervention on top. Broadly their policy is very similar to BA, particularly when the distinction between trade and facilitated ticketing (booked via LH's website rather than direct on GDS) is involved.

For the OP - if it's not a silly question, since you've had a number of unusual bookings with even more unusual payment processes, isn't it worth sorting out one sensible Visa, Mastercard or Amex which will make your life soooo much easier? Travelling comes across as something you enjoy rather than an accident that happens to you, so perhaps it's worth structuring a credit card around that? I know you're aware that TAs aren't great news when it comes to making changes to bookings, and I can recall several other TA bookings where a change was invoked. But - as you've found out - TA bookings are rarely touched by BA unless you either UuA (in which case you can't mix airlines) or within 24 hours of departure.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
LH and OS only do a small range of changes, and won't do fare recalculation or on-carriage changes to agency bookings
I'm afraid you are incorrect. I can provide specific examples should it be required.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. My question specifically is WHY BA treats TA tickets the way they do...where other airlines don't. It's not a matter of question as to why I don't have other cc cards to use etc and why don't I apply the suggested cc cards.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA gold
Thanks for the replies. My question specifically is WHY BA treats TA tickets the way they do...where other airlines don't. It's not a matter of question as to why I don't have other cc cards to use etc and why don't I apply the suggested cc cards.
The reasons I've heard are that if BA touches the ticket. and then the TA want to make further changes, then it opens up a whole can of worms for ticketting for both. This becomes much messier if there are airlines other than BA in the itinerary, then all hopes of UUA is out of the window too.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stez
The reasons I've heard are that if BA touches the ticket. and then the TA want to make further changes, then it opens up a whole can of worms for ticketting for both. This becomes much messier if there are airlines other than BA in the itinerary, then all hopes of UUA is out of the window too.
Sorry. But that's nonsense. CX makes it clear when they are reissuing the ticket that any further changes must be made thru CX if they do. Passenger understands. TA understands.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA gold
Sorry. But that's nonsense. CX makes it clear when they are reissuing the ticket that any further changes must be made thru CX if they do. Passenger understands. TA understands.
It is what's I've been told, quite consistently, over the years by BA and various TAs. I have no idea what CX can or can't do, that's another airlines with their own quirks and frustrations.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.