Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ideas about how British Airways will use the extra Gatwick slots.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas about how British Airways will use the extra Gatwick slots.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Last summer they had about 504 slot pairs per week. They have purchased another 149 weekly slot pairs from Monarch. At peak this will enable about a total of 92 plus departures and 92 plus arrivals a day in Summer 2018. They plan to grow operations about 28%. They have already indicated there will be new destinations and increased frequencies on current routes. I expect some will replace lost Monarch capacity but most will be additions as Monarch operated quite a bit on similar European routes to BA.
So on those numbers, IF they are using all the current BA slots and reduce this down to 80% that's a reduction in 100 slots and they only need to use 119 of the monarch ones at 80% which means on average an extra 2.7 slots need to be used per day which they could probably do with a single aircraft.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
I think the plan is to use most of the slots. Having spent £50 to £60 million on them they will want to earn some revenue!!! By next summer BA have a few new short haul aircraft arriving at LHR which will free up aircraft for Gatwick. Furthermore leases on others can be extended and retirements delayed. I'm not sure why you think BA spent money on slots it doesn't want to use.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:03 am

Actually it's IAG that own the slots and they will distribute them amongst the airlines they own as they see fit and as they can use them. So potentially the slots could be used by Aer Lingus or Level or Vueling or Iberia. Quite what IAGs strategy is still shrouded in mystery. We do know the majority - so let's say 60% of the ex Monarxh slots will come to BA.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
I think the plan is to use most of the slots. Having spent £50 to £60 million on them they will want to earn some revenue!!! By next summer BA have a few new short haul aircraft arriving at LHR which will free up aircraft for Gatwick. Furthermore leases on others can be extended and retirements delayed. I'm not sure why you think BA spent money on slots it doesn't want to use.
I'm sure they have every intention of using them, but it has been mentioned that in the short term it might be difficult to find enough planes within the fleet to use the 80% of these new slots to avoid losing them.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I have no idea but might the options IAG have on the A350-1000 sort things out in the longer term? (i believe they have 18 firm for BA + 18 options?), so the lack of planes might only be a short-medium term issue?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
On the short haul side, surely there must be a plan to replicate what is happening at Heathrow with upguaging from 319’s to 320’s and 321’s? Long Hul - full expecting more 777’s to be handed down and maybe a couple of route swaps with a couple of. Additions.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
I would imagine we should be hearing about increased frequencies and new routes at Gatwick in the next few weeks. January and February are busy months for future holiday bookings. Any new destinations need some run in time before they commence. The new season timetable begins towards the end of March. Will be interesting to see what is announced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.