Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ideas about how British Airways will use the extra Gatwick slots.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas about how British Airways will use the extra Gatwick slots.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I'd happily fly a bit more often in / out of LGW if the slots suited. I am pretty much equidistant. Cab ride probably easier to LHR at anything other than deserted, stupid O'Clock times of day, but unquestionably via public transport, LGW is easier for me (1 change at E. Croydon, usually straightforward).

Plus the S Terminal Lounge is perfectly acceptable imho.

The one thing that's often put me off is lack of flexibility if there's a hiccup. Eg if I fly for work to JFK, assuming I rock up at T5 and the plane's gone tech, almost certainly I'm still going to be going to JFK that day, likely with little delay to my flight and only a small amount of hassle. Whereas if I book work longhaul from LGW and I get the same situation, it's a bigger issue. I seem to recall looking at HKG in that context a while back and bottling it.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Pascoe ... Sound points regarding fallback options at LGW, especially on l/h.

We had a trip to KIN where our 777 was unable to operate. The Captain announced the only possible replacement aircraft had 80 seats too few, so we overnighted at LGW. An expensive day's AI accommodation wasted, and a day lost from the holiday. The EU261 covered the 2-4-1 flight costs, but that was it ... insurance coughed up a pittance, as it usually does!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Similar happens at Heathrow too. Quite often read on BA Source of passengers delayed overnight due to tech aircraft. BA have hardly any 'spare long haul aircraft' at either airport. Cancellations do happen but I don't think one airport or another is better or worse. For example in recent days Gatwick maintained a full schedule and even took several BA diversions.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Well it seems like the new slots are starting to be used this winter. Just had my LGW TFS cancelled in Feb and rebooked 25 mins later on a new flight number. Seems there are now more flights on that route and also from GLA as I am now on a better connection which didn’t exist. Had a quick look and new flights popping up on all sorts of routes such as AGP, NCE, TFS, GLA. Some are on BA metal whilst others are on
Titan aircraft.
EDIT - just noticed an EDI LGW and AMS LGW on CityFlyer E190!!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Interesting news Neilgcal. I am also noticing that BA seems to be undertaking more charter flights this winter from Gatwick too. Maybe making up for lost Monarch capacity to ski destinations particularly. I have also seen scheduled flight additions.
I expect BA will be using Titan until they can adjust their short haul aircraft availability before the summer 2018 season.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The above indicates they need to start using the slots, even if they don't have the aircraft or indeed the routes ready yet. BACF have run services from LGW to Jersey before (weekends mainly) but their fleet is the easiest to expand.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:32 am

In order to keep the slots, whoever has them will have to fly them on the 80/20 rule. Expect SH destinations initially as they can be filled far more easily with some aircraft sent down from LHR - the so called standby aircraft and also some wet leases.

Looking ahead, as the new delivery aircraft like the 787 and 350s then some 777s can be released to LGW to fly to LH destinations
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
....Looking ahead, as the new delivery aircraft like the 787 and 350s then some 777s can be released to LGW to fly to LH destinations....
Wouldn’t surprise me if we see some B747s on the most popular routes at peak times.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:47 am

I doubt they will send 747s to LGW - the economics are wrong.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Refurbished 767s would be perfect for LGW long haul expansion. Sadly they’re heading for the knackers yard instead
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Well it seems like the new slots are starting to be used this winter. Just had my LGW TFS cancelled in Feb and rebooked 25 mins later on a new flight number. Seems there are now more flights on that route and also from GLA as I am now on a better connection which didn’t exist. Had a quick look and new flights popping up on all sorts of routes such as AGP, NCE, TFS, GLA. Some are on BA metal whilst others are on
Titan aircraft.
EDIT - just noticed an EDI LGW and AMS LGW on CityFlyer E190!!
Had a look at the schedules but haven’t noticed any changes. Can sombody list them?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
In order to keep the slots, whoever has them will have to fly them on the 80/20 rule. Expect SH destinations initially as they can be filled far more easily with some aircraft sent down from LHR - the so called standby aircraft and also some wet leases.

Looking ahead, as the new delivery aircraft like the 787 and 350s then some 777s can be released to LGW to fly to LH destinations
Assuming BA are using all their current LGW slots, they can reduce their BA slots usage down to 80% and move those aircraft on to some of the new slots, thereby not having to find planes to use on 80% of the new ones. Anyone know how many slots they had at LGW and how many they have now acquired?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Last summer they had about 504 slot pairs per week. They have purchased another 149 weekly slot pairs from Monarch. At peak this will enable about a total of 92 plus departures and 92 plus arrivals a day in Summer 2018. They plan to grow operations about 28%. They have already indicated there will be new destinations and increased frequencies on current routes. I expect some will replace lost Monarch capacity but most will be additions as Monarch operated quite a bit on similar European routes to BA.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Similar happens at Heathrow too. Quite often read on BA Source of passengers delayed overnight due to tech aircraft. BA have hardly any 'spare long haul aircraft' at either airport
There are a few long haul airframes out of action for various reasons at the moment that doesn't help.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
My OH has needed to visit Aalborg (AAL) on business maybe a dozen times over the last 18 months or so - got there and back in a variety of ways: LHR-OSL-AAL on BA/Sun-Air, LHR-CPH-AAL on BA/Norwegian or SAS. Initially there was LGW-AAL on Norwegian outbound Sunday and return on Thurs. They then added Tuesday outbound,albeit at 6am but still way cheaper than BA at short notice even with an overnight in the bloc hotel, which was a strong lure. That service is now daily and one recent occasion was sold out.

Not suggesting AAL should be added by BA but it just shows how there are such routes around the margins of BA's network that the lo-cos are making work in the absence of competition. Recently Ryanair have added STN-AAL which came in handy for £8 when he needed to get directly back to Blighty a bit earlier than via CPH to make sure of making a prior booked LHR-IAD having needed to squeeze AAL in first at the last minute. It was not full to say the least, it will obviously sink or swim - crazy, cutthroat business...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.