Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Rewards. Keep or covert to Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Heathrow Rewards. Keep or covert to Avios?

Can someone advise me as to what to do with my Heathrow reward points (now and moving forwards). I currently have 3400. Which I am told is £30 in vouchers. This seems better than 3400 Avios. What do you do? What is an actual Avios "worth"? Not what they cost to buy, because that is obviously inflated but what are they typically worth in terms of redeeming them on flights and upgrades.

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GGL
I kept mine for a while and converted them to vouchers earlier this year when a 'double conversion' offer came up. It allowed my to swap £300 worth of points for £600 in cash to spend in the airport. Currently sitting on £400 in points and hoping for another offer. I don't know when the next one will come around, if ever, but I'd definitely recommend waiting for something better than a straight points to cash swap.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Only convert when a bonus is on.

If you ever pay for Heathrow parking, best redemption is parking vouchers.

You are 'paying' 1p per Avios by choosing them over shopping vouchers so be clear in your mind that is worthwhile or not.
PeacefulWaters likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I kept mine for a while and converted them to vouchers earlier this year when a 'double conversion' offer came up. It allowed my to swap £300 worth of points for £600 in cash to spend in the airport. Currently sitting on £400 in points and hoping for another offer. I don't know when the next one will come around, if ever, but I'd definitely recommend waiting for something better than a straight points to cash swap.
That sounds like a plan. Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
It all comes down to your Avios strategy.

If you accrue Avios without a plan I'd take vouchers rather than miles. And as stated above, time redeeming your points for when there's an offer on.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
It all comes down to your Avios strategy.

If you accrue Avios without a plan I'd take vouchers rather than miles. And as stated above, time redeeming your points for when there's an offer on.
My plan is to use my Avios (in a few years) for a return to Barbados in F for me and the wife. I calculated I need 360k.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
My plan is to use my Avios (in a few years) for a return to Barbados in F for me and the wife. I calculated I need 360k.
You run the risk of another brutal devaluation of Avios in that time frame.

Would the BA AMEX card with the £195 fee get you there for 180,000 Avios and a BOGOF code from spending £10k on the card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.