Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where have all the BA staffers gone?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Let’s not forget that we all have the option to just scrolll on by and ignore the stuff that doesn’t interest us or arouse our own sense of humour. I’m a long time lurker, and have enjoyed this board, mucci’s and all, for a number of years. There are many elements that I don’t wish to read in full, and so I continue scrolling, however I would hate to remove those elements from someone else; they may be what keeps another Flyertalker reading and posting.
Humour changes, we all change, but rarely is it objectionable on here.
For the BA staffers on here, current and former (historic?!)!, thank you. I’ve learnt a lot from what you have to say, and I would readily hear more
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The additional angle here is that it’s now 2017, things have moved on and for quite a lot of ‘humour’ from that era the “well, it was OK in the 1970s....” excuse just doesn’t wash anymore.
The mods have also asked us to cut out the extraneous stuff.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wonder if Saga Holidays has a forum?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:05 pm

Just found this thread so apologies for the bump, I’m still around (just!), and just about still a BA staff member until next month.

I have been made a top offer to stay on too, decisions!

I am more of a lurker now, I nervously check here every time I’m involved in recovering an aircraft with a severe delay. Total times it’s affected someone from FT badly enough for them to start a thread: Just 1 thankfully!

I have a few trips coming up on the network so maybe I’ll catch you out and about.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You’re not the only BA staffer about to leave.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You’re not the only BA staffer about to leave.
Having a leaving do? I might host mine in TBC9 where everyone can enjoy a stale bacon role and an overpriced coffee. We could make it a joint one if you like? Should be a good event...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just another day at BA.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:11 pm

With the current direction of the thread mentioning leavers….add me to that pot!

7 years as CSM from the inception of Mixed Fleet = mental and physical exhaustion.

Honestly, if it wasn’t for the IA this year and having most of December off with annual leave, I don’t think I would have lasted this long. I am 37 years old, I used to be fit before this job ground me down and left me with no energy to exercise, and I am educated. I am an average Mixed Fleet employee, just to give you some perspective. I have been working as crew for 16 years now for scheduled, charter and low cost airlines, so feel I am in a position to comment.

I used to have the pride and passion to be an active, contributing member of the FT community. Trying to enhance the experience for other users. BA have destroyed that. They have, in seven years, turned what once was, a committed, devoted, pride filled dedicate into a husk of a man. I don’t use these words lightly, and yes, there are million of people on this planet in much worse situations than me. But. This is the United Kingdom and I work for who I once thought was THE top brand/airline/innovator/prestige company on the planet.

I really wouldn’t mind. But. At the crux of this issue is the complete imbalance between staff dedication to our employer, and the dedication show back to us in return. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t speak for other departments, but speaking from a Mixed Fleet perspective, they have abused my dedication for the last time. That’s what’s great about living in a free society I guess. Choice. I choose to leave.

But. That’s what they want. Isn’t it. They don’t want long serving, dedicated staff who are paid appropriately for their work and appreciated. They want lemming fodder. Get em in. Wear em down. Get em out. So, BA wins.

Who knows, I may return to the skies but I know that if I don’t try to jump now, I don’t think I ever will. BA may return to their glory days, but I doubt it.

One thing I will know is that I won’t be working for a company that thinks it is appropriate to use the ‘F’ word in public financial presentations, or that pays their CSMs a fraction of their previous annual bonus in a year when profits were the highest they have ever been. Or a company that expects you to work in First Class for economy money, or that builds into it’s day to day operation a culture of fear based on safety compromising unachievable targets. That knowledge, and my dignity, I will take with me and try not to take it all too seriously, because the only thing that comes from it is hurt.

Getting over BA has been the biggest challenge in my life. No question. I have a lifelong medical condition for which I take medication every day. That was easier to get over than my adoration for BA. Now, my mind is clear, the fog has lifted, and I wish everyone at BA that I leave behind, well.

The views above are my own and should in no way be associated with those of British Airways Plc.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM

Last edited by BA.MF.CSM; Dec 29, 2017 at 3:40 pm
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So sad that BA has treated such a positive hardworking proud crewmember to the edge of dispair, I wish you only positive thoughts.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thank you @BA.MF.CSM @Can I help you and @alextheengineer for all your contributions on FlyerTalk over the years. You have all been a great source of information and great ambassadors for British Airways, although at times they clearly haven't deserved it.

I wish you all every success for your futures, or indeed retirement if that is what it is.

Many, many thanks for all your contributions here. Hopefully you will all continue imparting your knowledge and wit with us ^
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to be clear I’m not going anywhere just yet, as I have said many times before I enjoy being a thorn in BAs side.
I don’t want this to be about me, let’s focus on the lovely other two you mention.
Tobias-UK, ENTP and truncated like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Just to be clear I’m not going anywhere just yet, as I have said many times before I enjoy being a thorn in BAs side.
I don’t want this to be about me, let’s focus on the lovely other two you mention.
OOPS!! Yay, I'm glad your staying with the airline - but the thanks are well meant and they certainly still apply ^

I'd put two and two together from your last couple of posts and ... well ... welcome back
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
I am more of a lurker now, I nervously check here every time I’m involved in recovering an aircraft with a severe delay. Total times it’s affected someone from FT badly enough for them to start a thread: Just 1 thankfully!
Couple of things, firstly that as a passenger, I really appreciate the work you and your colleagues do to get us up in the air safely (and more importantly down). I'm sure most of us would want to wish you all the very best for whatever you choose to do, I certainly would.

And secondly, if there must be a tech issue causing an extended arrival delay, we'd really appreciated it if you could make it, say, three hours and five minutes rather than two hours fifty five. For, err, reasons.
polochick likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
or indeed retirement if that is what it is.
I wish! Thanks for the post, though, but I’ve got a few more decades before that happens...

Sadly, I can’t afford to retire any more as Mr Cruz has helped himself to the pot being saved for such an occasion! It’s like an avios devaluation, but for your whole life.

I put my notice in due to a personal dispute with a manager who thought he was above company policy. He has now been removed elsewhere and re-aligned so actually not much reason to go now for me other than simple economics: other companies make better offers.

Sympathies with @BA.MF.CSM above though, I can 100% relate to that. I started off working for one of BA’s biggest suppliers, and was proud to become a BA employee directly. Nowadays, it’s hard work getting a job with BA experience on your CV.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
And secondly, if there must be a tech issue causing an extended arrival delay, we'd really appreciated it if you could make it, say, three hours and five minutes rather than two hours fifty five. For, err, reasons.
Haha thanks for your kind words. I do my best on EU261, but what you really need is 3hrs 30 otherwise someone will get a faster flight plan off eurocontrol and race onto the arrival stand and fling open a door at 2h59.
bisonrav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.