Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KUL connection time

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
KUL connection time

Bit of advice if possible, we are flying on a redemption to KUL on BA33. Need to buy the onward cash ticket to Phuket and have two choices, either Malaysian which departs 1h 45m after arrival, or Air Asia, which has a 2h 40m connection.

Now although we will be travelling with hand luggage only, the Malaysian connection still feels tight. Thoughts would be welcome, as well as any connection tips at KUL.

Many thanks
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Be very very careful.

KUL really feels like two airports: KLIA1 and KLIA2. They are right next to one another, but getting between them isn't like changing between LHR T3 and T5: You have to exit immigration entirely, go get some Malaysian ringgit, and pay 37p per person (MYR 2) for a bus that takes you to the other airport.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...And.Klia2.html has some more information.

Air Asia X flies out of KLIA2. BA and Malaysian use KLIA1.

The Malaysian Airlines connection will be the /less/ tight connection for you. I would not do the Air Asia flight unless you had >3 hours to connect.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:59 am

Is the Air Asia ticket cheap enough to buy both?

If BA is on time you'll make it - you may need to take a short shuttle train to the main terminal, then it's security at the Phuket gate itself. No passing any transit checks- departure and arrivals are mixed.

Air Asia necessitates a transfer to KLIA 2 which I noticed last week seems to now be possible airside by a shuttle bus (presumably without clearing immigration, which is good news as it can be very slow!)

**sorry I had read 40mins!, 1hr 40 no problem. Realistically if you've missed that you wouldn't make the Air Asia anyway so I wouldn't bother**
Cymro likes this.

Last edited by sammyg901; Nov 23, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:02 am

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/cat...at-klia-klia2/

the signage is up already so I am not sure if it has actually started yet, but this will make your life easier otherwise as the other poster says, 2hr 40 end up being pretty tight but still doable
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Can only concur - I comfortably did a 1h connection to HKT through KL and even managed a shower.

You can connect landside between KLIA1 and KLIA2 on the train, although you have to pay a couple of quid - but at least you can use a card.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Just remember it's a looooong flight to KUL - had to force myself onto the my short connection last time. So maybe go for a night downtown then continue on?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'm glad they've got an an airside connection, the land side one was incredible in terms of the distance you cover - you rocket along at 50mph on empty roads for 25 minutes. It really feels like you're going between two points next to each other on a square, but the long way around.

Everyone above has the right advice. Your MH flight has far bigger chance of running late than the BA one, well, 4 out of 4 late for me this year anecdotally.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I've just connected from BA33 onto a Malaysian domestic flight and it was a breeze.

You take the shuttle train from the C gates (where you arrive on BA33) to the central terminal. DON'T follow everybody else towards immigration and baggage reclaim, but look for Domestic Connection sign which points you towards the rear of the shuttle train. You go down some steps/escalator and you arrive at a passport control for connecting pax. I was the only one there and through in a minute or two. The immigration desks lead you directly into the atrium that links A and B gates (for Malaysian domestic flights).

I'd go for the ease of this option, but you take a slight risk of a late inbound flight. The 787s can be a little fault-prone!

For others you follow this connection route, if you have baggage and on a single-ticket, your bag can be checked all the way through. It's more like the UK than USA. You don't have to pick up your bag at KUL and clear customs.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
I did this exact routing last year. The BA flight was 45 minutes late and I missed the Malaysian service as the bags were also delayed coming out.

Soon rectified by buying an Air Asia flight out to HKT a few hours later for minimal cost which I then claimed back on travel insurance.

Without bags it would have been tight but doable. If we'd been any more than 45 mins delayed, it wouldn't have worked.

Of course if the OW alliance still through-checked to all partner airlines, on separate tickets, this wouldn't have happened. Happily on the return, Malaysian sent the bags all the way to LHR from HKT via themselves and BA. I had booked two singles with MH so as to protect the return.

Last edited by AdBoy; Nov 23, 2017 at 9:38 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The Sama Sama hotel at KUL is pretty good for a layover and a rest from flying - links directly to KLIA 1 via a buggy service. You might get a deal if flying Malaysian too. My wife is Malaysian, from Kuching on Borneo Island, and we've tried numerous tactics, but usually we stick with Oneworld on a single ticket to avoid the transfer to KLIA 2 and plug onwards the same day. Sometimes your bags don't make it when checked through on a tightish connection.

One thing worth mentioning is that if you're on separate tickets, chances are high you'll get MAS to check your bags through from Phuket to London, where Air Asia obviously won't. Saves a lot of faffing around.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
I'm doing this journey next year and have an F redemption to KUL followed by a domestic with Malaysian but as the latter is a revenue ticket I assume I will not be able to through-check baggage? I was hoping for a shower and some food before the short internal flight to Langkawi, is that realistic? BA inbound arrives at 1605hrs and outbound internal flight is 1815hrs. Can we stay airside for this or as it's a domestic connection do we go though immigration, baggage reclaim, customs and then re-check in?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by badoc
I'm doing this journey next year and have an F redemption to KUL followed by a domestic with Malaysian but as the latter is a revenue ticket I assume I will not be able to through-check baggage? I was hoping for a shower and some food before the short internal flight to Langkawi, is that realistic? BA inbound arrives at 1605hrs and outbound internal flight is 1815hrs. Can we stay airside for this or as it's a domestic connection do we go though immigration, baggage reclaim, customs and then re-check in?
BA won't check through so if you have luggage you will need to go through immigration.

immigration in KUL can get really bad - including the premier line for J/F - I have frequently waited upwards of 1h or more.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pennineuk
I've just connected from BA33 onto a Malaysian domestic flight and it was a breeze.

You take the shuttle train from the C gates (where you arrive on BA33) to the central terminal. DON'T follow everybody else towards immigration and baggage reclaim, but look for Domestic Connection sign which points you towards the rear of the shuttle train. You go down some steps/escalator and you arrive at a passport control for connecting pax. I was the only one there and through in a minute or two. The immigration desks lead you directly into the atrium that links A and B gates (for Malaysian domestic flights).

I'd go for the ease of this option, but you take a slight risk of a late inbound flight. The 787s can be a little fault-prone!

For others you follow this connection route, if you have baggage and on a single-ticket, your bag can be checked all the way through. It's more like the UK than USA. You don't have to pick up your bag at KUL and clear customs.
Since the OP is going to Phuket it won't be via the domestic channel.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
KL is an airport I know well, though I prefer Supang. I digress. It is a an under-utilised and efficient airport. OP will arrive at the KLIA1 Satellite terminal and the Phuket flights normally go from the main terminal so must take the connecting train which runs every few minutes and is very quick. Usually the wide bodies use the satellite and narrow bodies fly from the main terminal. Connecting to MH is easy with hand luggage only as no need to clear immigration and customs just the security check at the departure gate. I have connected in under 30 minutes before off a late arriving plane, but that was close!

If connecting on Air Asia, you have to clear immigration and customs, then best way is to get the KLIA Express to KLIA2 which runs at 20 minute intervals and takes 3 minutes.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Omba
Bit of advice if possible, we are flying on a redemption to KUL on BA33. Need to buy the onward cash ticket to Phuket and have two choices, either Malaysian which departs 1h 45m after arrival, or Air Asia, which has a 2h 40m connection.

Now although we will be travelling with hand luggage only, the Malaysian connection still feels tight. Thoughts would be welcome, as well as any connection tips at KUL.

Many thanks
I will go with MH hands down and save the transfer to KLIA2.

1hr45mins HBO is plenty of time.

Even if your flight is 1 hr late arriving, you will still make your flight HBO. Departure gates technically close 20 mins before departure (though in practice this is not strict).

Your arrival gate would be in the satellite terminal, departures most likely in the main terminal gates G/H (though there are rare occasions when the 738 leaves from the satellite terminal)

Transfer from satellite terminal to main terminal is quick and easy - 3 mins using the train (and you need to go there anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.