Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIRFZIpVQfiQRTBdwi0aZctVyQauU-v3UTfAL-6l8Ms/edit?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) £10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ^ ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Visited the museum this weekend. Absolutely fantastic you’ll all have a great time I’m sure! Sorry I can’t make it, hopefully another time!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
I am definitely in! Catching a ride with @simonsmith and flyingbrief, my friendly local FTers in Cheltenham :-)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Still hoping to make it but wont know for a couple of weeks if I have that day free
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Visited the museum this weekend. Absolutely fantastic you’ll all have a great time I’m sure! Sorry I can’t make it, hopefully another time!
Glad you had a good time at the museum, no worries about missing the DO, maybe catch up with you another time. Safe travels. ^

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
I am definitely in! Catching a ride with @simonsmith and flyingbrief, my friendly local FTers in Cheltenham :-
Excellent ^ great news, I'll add you to the wiki and that will make (at least) two Canucks at the DO...

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Still hoping to make it but wont know for a couple of weeks if I have that day free
I'll add you to the wiki 'maybe' group (if you aren't already there) and hope you can join us, no problem with the later confirmation, we're all busy people and it would be great if it works out. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. And congrats on your 1000th post...a fitting post to be sure!

Anyone else wish to join in? we're over 20 now so a guided tour is a given and the more the merrier! Open to all...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Slight change of my Friday night plans (they got cancelled) means I'm heading down to Bristol on the Friday night from London. If anyone wants a lift that way to save them from the joys of GWR I'm happy to oblige. KARFA and anyone else,I'd also be happy to pick you up from T5 as I'll literally be driving past.
BotB likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Slight change of my Friday night plans (they got cancelled) means I'm heading down to Bristol on the Friday night from London. If anyone wants a lift that way to save them from the joys of GWR I'm happy to oblige. KARFA and anyone else,I'd also be happy to pick you up from T5 as I'll literally be driving past.
Thanks for the offer. I would certainly accept a lift but only if it's convenient for you in terms of timing. I should be landing around 2030.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
If it's convenient for you in terms of timing. I should be landing around 2030.
It will be perfectly convenient, my only schedule is getting to the DoubleTrees at some point. I presume you're on BA1345?
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:32 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I'm in for the Saturday night meal 'n do. Can't make the museum unfortunately. Will stay at Hilton Garden probably.
BotB likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
It will be perfectly convenient, my only schedule is getting to the DoubleTrees at some point. I presume you're on BA1345?
Yes, that's the one I am on.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Sorry for the long silence folks, been working in the background to get things organised and had a few hitches along the way....status update:

Bristol Aerospace already have a few groups that have booked guides in the meantime so they don't have anyone available to guide our group around unfortunately at this time. So, we have two options: one, we do book as a group, which means we get a reduced entrance price (£10 each) and if one of the other groups does cancel, we would get first dibs on having a tour guide (but have to pay £5 extra / person for that of course)...the downside is that your ticket is valid for that day only. Option 2: we simply turn up at the door and everyone pays their £15 individually and you would have the ability to come again for free within the next 12 months. (no saving on price and no guide options should a tour cancel though)...please let me know your thoughts on this and once I know the majority opinion I will go with that. (so more than 10 want savings and potential guide or more than 10 want to come back again potentially for free in next year)...

Also, update on the evening meal front: I have been toying with various places that could cater a largish group like ours without having to pay a large deposit and offering enough variety for all tastes and food styles...

The two options I would suggest are: Italian, called L'Osteria (a small chain that is quite new to the UK but is popular on the continent), This one is closer to Cabot Circus and so would be a bit further to walk / drive to than SOTA below, however, would likely cater to a wider palate (or vegetarians/vegans)... website here: (with menus!)

Menu ? L?Osteria | Pizza E Pasta

OR

An independent steak house, called The Steak of the Art (SOTA), which also has some rather limited vegetarian options, should that be a concern...we used this place last time for the Bristol DO and they even gave us a private room in the back for the group. It is a bit closer to the hotels and where we'll meet up for a drink (for those interested) pre meal...but not sure if everyone is okay with this or would prefer the Italian...The website and menu are here:

https://www.steakoftheart.co.uk/info/menus/

So, need feedback please from those attending the museum, the evening meal or both events, and which options for food would the majority like! I'll need to limit this to a few days as otherwise we risk not getting the food venue any longer...so please do post your thoughts and preferences and I'll wait until Wednesday, the 17th to go with whatever the majority wish (should that be apparent early enough) or by Tuesday evening with whatever people have posted by then...

Thanks, sorry for the hassle, hope the choices will be palatable!

For the record: I'm not bothered either way about the museum, it would save some hassle to book in advance and give us more time in the museum and save us a fiver...with the potential to get a guide if another group drops out...but it does mean I have to pay £100 up front myself and the rest a week before we go and then collect the cash from everyone on the day...happy to do that though. Food: SOTA was very good and it is a more private and unique venue with some interesting design bits so I'd prefer that but happy to go to either...and I'm a meat eater...

Discuss please! Ta...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:02 am

Thumbs up Group/ SOTA

Thanks for the great work, BotB ^ Event organisation is demanding, and this one looks great.

My marginal preference would be for a group booking at Aerospace Bristol, to maximise time there and retain at least the chance of a guided tour, and for SOTA, as a meat-eater not particularly enamoured of Italian restaurants. However, really don't mind either way: as a (new) local, an annual pass at AB would be great, and L'Osteria is walking distance from home.

Thanks again, and look forward to meeting you. Happy to pay up in advance for deposits, etc., and assist in any other way I can.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Here, here, thanks for all your organising, @BotB! Anyone else staying at the Mercure Brigstock? It's my preferred location close to the bars with the best ales! I am also now bring a friend as well as my husband, so it's me + 2 people.

SOTA sounds great for us three (also not keen on Italian), but will go with consensus, and happy to pay in advance for our group booking if required.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:23 am

Group and SOTA sounds great to me. Thanks BotB
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, ATI Volare Premium, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
Hi BotB, thanks for your efforts to date on this - we’ll go with the flow but our preference would be the Group booking and then SOTA for the evening meal
Looking forward to the event
MrB
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the quick replies so far everyone, including me we're at 8 for group booking (and potential guide), saving time but no return visit included and SOTA.

Just need another 3 people to chime in with those preferences (or a large group wishing for the other options!) and I'll be able to move forward.

Cheers, anyone else wish to join in for the visit to Bristol Aerospace and/or meet up for drinks/evening meal later on? Open to all!

BotB

Keep the replies coming please! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.