Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HSBC World elite card And BA/avios

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I've held the Premier W/E card for about 4 years but will be cancelling in November before my renewal date. Simply not worth it whilst I'm not travelling.
aristoph and Speedbird676 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I stayed with it and got my bonus

Find is useful as don’t use Amex for everything and I get a decent stash of avios for it

I must admit I can’t remember what the annual fee is
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Free if you bung £500k into HSBC.

Given current interest rates, saving £195 on a credit card is a decent return on £500k :-)
our_kid likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Interesting, thank you, guys. Well, with little travel ahead, a free year ahead on BA Silver and a year of Star Alliance Gold on the way thanks to the current TAP promo, I can survive without LoungeKey in 2021 so yeah the Avios stash alone doesn't really justify another £195 imho.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by ConstantVoyager
Interesting, thank you, guys. Well, with little travel ahead, a free year ahead on BA Silver and a year of Star Alliance Gold on the way thanks to the current TAP promo, I can survive without LoungeKey in 2021 so yeah the Avios stash alone doesn't really justify another £195 imho.
It’s a good backup where some don’t take Amex with a straight 1 to 1 earning rate.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:21 pm

I actually got good value from the in-flight Internet pass (although not on BA - Singapore Airlines etc) hich helped justify the annual fee but cancelled it recently as had other options for lounge access (and of course no usage recently!)

Keeping the free one though
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Have both the BA Amex paid version and HSBC Premier paid version.

Cant quite get my head around this if it’s worth cancelling the BA card once I get my voucher (will get 9 months pro-rata refund of the membership fee), and keep the HSBC for spending, albeit at a lower earning rate. But with HSBC it’s a never ending cycle where I have to keep paying the membership fee to get the bonus... (had Amex Gold preciously which I just cancelled)
Old Sep 22, 2020, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by makrxx
Have both the BA Amex paid version and HSBC Premier paid version.

Cant quite get my head around this if it’s worth cancelling the BA card once I get my voucher (will get 9 months pro-rata refund of the membership fee), and keep the HSBC for spending, albeit at a lower earning rate. But with HSBC it’s a never ending cycle where I have to keep paying the membership fee to get the bonus... (had Amex Gold preciously which I just cancelled)
I have both as well and am minded to cancel the HSBC card. What do you mean by an endless cycle - I thought you only got the HSBC bonus for spending in the first year, not every year?

For me, I estimate less than a quarter of my spend is not on Amex and what I really valued about the HSBC card was access to lounges when not flying BA. But realisitically I am now Gold until April 22, so presumably Silver until 2023, and even in the past I only flew non-BA maybe twice a year. So £195 + £60 for partner card to HSBC seems like a waste. And I am a legacy BA Amex cardholder, so I only pay £30(?) a year for that :-)

FYI HSBC are much less consumer friendly than Amex when it comes to cancellation. No pro rata refund of mgmt fee from them. And tbh even as a Premier customer I feel they are much less responsive on eg. chargeback or queries than Amex, who have always been excellent IMHO.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by aristoph
I have both as well and am minded to cancel the HSBC card. What do you mean by an endless cycle - I thought you only got the HSBC bonus for spending in the first year, not every year?

For me, I estimate less than a quarter of my spend is not on Amex and what I really valued about the HSBC card was access to lounges when not flying BA. But realisitically I am now Gold until April 22, so presumably Silver until 2023, and even in the past I only flew non-BA maybe twice a year. So £195 + £60 for partner card to HSBC seems like a waste. And I am a legacy BA Amex cardholder, so I only pay £30(?) a year for that :-)

FYI HSBC are much less consumer friendly than Amex when it comes to cancellation. No pro rata refund of mgmt fee from them. And tbh even as a Premier customer I feel they are much less responsive on eg. chargeback or queries than Amex, who have always been excellent IMHO.
Ah yes, you are right. Only the 1st year. So I don’t really have a choice but to pay for the 2nd year then!

I’ve been using my Curve card (linked to the HSBC card) to top up my ISA, so for me that’s the best part of the card.

Not sure if it’s worth taking up Amex Gold again in a few months instead (as I just cancelled it) as the MR points are then transferable across various miles program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.