Wiki Posts
Search

'Is there anything I can get you?'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
'Is there anything I can get you?'

On a 2.5 hour short haul flight yesterday, better not say which one, sitting in ET exit row. BoB service had finished. About 30 mins from landing the CSM (or whatever the term is) comes to my seat to do the Gold welcome, which was nice. Then after asking how the flight was she asked 'Is there anything I can get you?' Being used to BOB now my instinct was to say I'm fine, but thanks, and then she asked again 'Are you sure?'
It was very nice but my question is - in this age of BoB would it have been reasonable to ask for a glass of wine/cup of tea/spare desert? Presumably anything I would be given would be from CE? Do crew have the discretion to do this for Golds these days? I'm just normal Gold, not a very high CIV I'd have thought, and curious whether this was a one off, new policy or whether the offer was just to buy something else.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What a silly thing for her to ask!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA gold
I normally get this kind of question on BA long haul Y. Not really quite sure what more the CC can do for me, short of kicking my neighbours out of my row or move me to more comfortable seats.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You would be Ok to ask for a cup of tea or a glass of sparkling water, which would come off the CE trolley. She may bring some shortbread or Out of Africa nuts with that.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CWS, helpful to know for next time. Genuinely didn't know what to ask for to avoid embarrassment for her or me, but could have murdered a cuppa!
Like the other poster I'm more used to the question on long haul W or Y and usually ask for a few Cadbury bars from Club Kitchen. Has never been refused so far and is always very welcome on a long flight back from Cadbury-less China
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TimmyD
On a 2.5 hour short haul flight yesterday, better not say which one, sitting in ET exit row. BoB service had finished. About 30 mins from landing the CSM (or whatever the term is) comes to my seat to do the Gold welcome, which was nice. Then after asking how the flight was she asked 'Is there anything I can get you?' Being used to BOB now my instinct was to say I'm fine, but thanks, and then she asked again 'Are you sure?'
It was very nice but my question is - in this age of BoB would it have been reasonable to ask for a glass of wine/cup of tea/spare desert? Presumably anything I would be given would be from CE? Do crew have the discretion to do this for Golds these days? I'm just normal Gold, not a very high CIV I'd have thought, and curious whether this was a one off, new policy or whether the offer was just to buy something else.
It has happened to me a couple of times and I must admit that I have really no idea how to answer those questions. I have the exact same doubts as you, and I wouldn't want the CSM/CSD to get into trouble when it happens nor to create an embarrassing situation, nor for that matter to be misunderstood and be brought a BoB thing to pay for which I have no intention of purchasing.

If the CSD/CSM is feeling generous, and of course why not, I wish they would just be proactive and bring a glass of Champagne or ask explicitly 'could I get you some tea or coffee from the CE trolley' and then I'd say yes. As it stands, I am just worried that asking for even a glass of sparkling water (which genuinely is my inclination) will be considered going beyond what I was genuinely being proposed.
Prospero and volar like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It has happened to me a couple of times and I must admit that I have really no idea how to answer those questions. I have the exact same doubts as you, and I wouldn't want the CSM/CSD to get into trouble when it happens nor to create an embarrassing situation, nor for that matter to be misunderstood and be brought a BoB thing to pay for which I have no intention of purchasing.

If the CSD/CSM is feeling generous, and of course why not, I wish they would just be proactive and bring a glass of Champagne or ask explicitly 'could I get you some tea or coffee from the CE trolley' and then I'd say yes. As it stands, I am just worried that asking for even a glass of sparkling water (which genuinely is my inclination) will be considered going beyond what I was genuinely being proposed.
Indeed and it is probably why the CSM/CSD welcome to Gold members sitting in the ET cabin that was fairly common prior to the introduction of BoB when time/numbers of Gold pax allowed seems to have almost completely disappeared, as crew sense that it could be awkward for either the passenger or the crew member or both.
Prospero, orbitmic and so3003 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Indeed and it is probably why the CSM/CSD welcome to Gold members sitting in the ET cabin that was fairly common prior to the introduction of BoB when time/numbers of Gold pax allowed seems to have almost completely disappeared, as crew sense that it could be awkward for either the passenger or the crew member or both.
I couldn't agree more, and indeed, it is one of the first things that I remarked on with sadness in the BoB threads after the first few weeks of implementation. Before, the little hello was systematic, but now, I feel that most CSD/CSMs either do not see it as their role to be 'hosts' especially of Y passengers (regardless of status) which would be very sad indeed, or feel awkward about coming to greet us and doing their usual 'if there is anything that we can do...' speech for fear that we will precisely ask for a cup of tea and that this would create the levels embarrassment that no cup of tea should ever create.

In my view, this is one of the saddest consequences of the introduction of BoB, not for the welcome per se but for how it is symptomatic of a change I the relationship between passengers and crew which is a great shame from the passengers' point of view but also, I have no doubt, equally unpleasant for many crew members.
NickB, Jed, Prospero and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:09 pm

You have been asked a question - take it at face value! So ask for what you'd like - a glass of sparkling water, a cup of tea or a glass of champagne.

Their feelings about it, and their response, is their concern. You've been offered something and I think it is reasonable to take that offer as sincere. To me it sounds like in this case she would have liked to bring you something.

There is quite a lovely expression that someone once said to me - 'It takes generosity to receive'.
Jed, 710 77345, Andriyko and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If the crew are asking the question, why on earth wouldn't you just answer honestly (politely of course, with a smile)? The worst they can say is 'no'. They did ask, after all.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

The last two posters ask a very fair question - in all honestly FT is partly to blame because it has been said pretty extensively on here in the various BOB debates that crew have no discretion to give free food or drink to passengers in ET! If that’s not that the case, I’m delighted and now know or next time. Note though that no lesser authority than CWS seems to be saying that asking for anything more than tea or water would be pushing it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TimmyD
Note though that no lesser authority than CWS seems to be saying that asking for anything more than tea or water would be pushing it.
But how is Joe Public meant to know that? If that's the case, the crew should be asking 'would you like a tea or some water?'.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
But how is Joe Public meant to know that? If that's the case, the crew should be asking 'would you like a tea or some water?'.
exactly why I asked
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You would be Ok to ask for a cup of tea or a glass of sparkling water, which would come off the CE trolley.
There is no rule or restriction around asking for whatever you want - if there's a restricted offer, this would either be mentioned when the offer was made, or when the CSD/M offers you an alternative whilst rejecting your request. I've had no issues getting champagne in the past.
PaulJWoodgate likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 710 77345
There is no rule or restriction around asking for whatever you want - if there's a restricted offer, this would either be mentioned when the offer was made, or when the CSD/M offers you an alternative whilst rejecting your request. I've had no issues getting champagne in the past.
That's quite right. The only reason I hesitated on the champagne point is that if the crew member was going to offer that they may well arrive on the scene with a bottle or two lying on the tray. Plus the fact that I wouldn't want or ask for alcohol, and was therefore relating to my personal experiences, namely that asking for tea/sparkling water would be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.