Community
Wiki Posts
Search

View from LHR to Belfast

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

View from LHR to Belfast

I will be flying British Airways from LHR to Belfast and back. Also flying from LHR to Frankfurt.

Is there one side of the plane that you would recommend for a nice view?

I do not have any status on BA or Oneworld. Will I be able to select my seats in advance? How early can I check in online?

Thank you for your help!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I guess it depends whether the aircraft takes off to the east or the west where you sit. And this won't be known until near the time ! You can pick what's left of the seats for free at online check in (24 hours before) - with the new Theoretical Seating system you'll have pretty much no choice - you might consider paying for a seat 72hrs or more in advance
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Sit on the right. Because:

Either you land eastbound at Heathrow and the view is nothing special, or you land westbound onto 09R and get a view of central London, or you land westbound onto 09L and get an excellent view of central London.

I can't say how it looks at Belfast, I have yet to go there.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Flying into LHR I always select a seat on the right hand side (F seat on short-haul) for the best views flying over London.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by flatlander
Sit on the right. Because:

Either you land eastbound at Heathrow and the view is nothing special, or you land westbound onto 09R and get a view of central London, or you land westbound onto 09L and get an excellent view of central London.

I can't say how it looks at Belfast, I have yet to go there.
The numbers relate to the heading of the runway, therefore if you are approaching from over the center of London towards the west, you are landing on 27L/R.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Flying to Belfast I would always sit on the left - you often get lovely views of the north Wales coast and the Great Orme at Llandudno, a bit of the Isle of Man and if the flight takes you up the east coast of Northern Ireland the half submerged islands in Strangford Lough and the Ards peninsula.

Fly POSH - Port Out, Starboard Home!

It's a shame you dont have status because the lounge at BHD boards straight onto the plane which is a rarity but very handy.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:05 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I would say it really boils down to how you like viewing clouds.

If you like viewing clouds from the right, sit on the left and vice versa.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
I would say flying into Belfast the best seats are aisle seats and hope the crew are lax enough to leave the window shades down

ymmv
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:26 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
For Frankfurt, you stand more choice to have a view of the city and its skyline by sitting on the right (F on short-haul).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by CoweyB
Flying to Belfast I would always sit on the left - you often get lovely views of the north Wales coast and the Great Orme at Llandudno, a bit of the Isle of Man and if the flight takes you up the east coast of Northern Ireland the half submerged islands in Strangford Lough and the Ards peninsula.

Fly POSH - Port Out, Starboard Home!

It's a shame you dont have status because the lounge at BHD boards straight onto the plane which is a rarity but very handy.
Fully agree.

Sitting on right on the BHD-LHR flight generally gives you decent view over the Mournes also.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:29 am

Either you land eastbound at Heathrow and the view is nothing special,
I don't know, Windsor Castle is quite spectacular from the air.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:34 am

The runway use is planned and published...here is the 2017 info: http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...ramme_2017.pdf

I expect it may be changed if there are strong winds.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 11277m
The runway use is planned and published...here is the 2017 info: http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...ramme_2017.pdf

I expect it may be changed if there are strong winds.
I don't think that the winds have to be "strong" for operations to be changed to easterly. About 30% of the time (as quoted on that page) the 09s are used instead of the 27s.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Ive been flying to Frankfurt on a weekly basis for the past 3 months

sit on the right hand side (F seat). Fantastic views of main-hattan as you're on finals.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:13 pm
Suspended

There are no good views into Belfast. It's Belfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.