Wiki Posts
Search

2 x Dublin day return tickets cheaper

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
2 x Dublin day return tickets cheaper

This may be old news for most FTers but it is new for me... I have 2 day meetings in Dublin coming up a month apart ie Feb & Mar, LHR - DUB.

Was about to book the tickets, effectively as 2 day returns, when I wondered what if I separated the bookings for the month. Surprise surprise to me was that it works out cheaper ^

1. Out: LHR-DUB in Feb
2. Out: DUB-LHR in Feb
3. Rtn: LHR-DUB in Mar
4. Rtn: DUB-LHR in Mar

Flights 1 & 4 on on one ticket and flights 2 & 3 on the other...

Apart from booking one flight in Euros, is there any downside to this?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:36 am

Deleted my earlier comment as I am confused by what OP is doing? Dates and flights would help.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:45 am

This is probably the simplest form of nesting tickets, to take advantage of better pricing from different markets.

No downsides as such, I just find that with nesting you really have to be sure on your dates/times since if you need a change, it is generally 2 change fees (and fare differences) as opposed to just one.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by IntVic
Apart from booking one flight in Euros, is there any downside to this?
It's called nested ticketing, and while the airlines don't like it, it is an extremely common way to circumvent Saturday-night-stay restrictions.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wytco0
Deleted my earlier comment as I am confused by what OP is doing? Dates and flights would help.
I was trying to make it simple... clearly didn't succeed!

Feb 6... Day return from LHR to DUB and March 23 another day return LHR to DUB...

Instead of booking the return tickets for the same day on Feb 6, I booked the return flight for March 23.

On the evening of Feb 6 I will return to the UK but purchased a new ticket/itinerary and will return on March 23... hope that makes more sense.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
As noted in other threads BA does not care if you nest tickets unlike US carriers.

Separate bookings are only likely to be a pain if you make changes to one day trip or there are delays on say the outbound that would permit you to cancel for a trip in vain but your separate inbound is running fine so not covered.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by IntVic
I was trying to make it simple... clearly didn't succeed!

Feb 6... Day return from LHR to DUB and March 23 another day return LHR to DUB...

Instead of booking the return tickets for the same day on Feb 6, I booked the return flight for March 23.

On the evening of Feb 6 I will return to the UK but purchased a new ticket/itinerary and will return on March 23... hope that makes more sense.
No it was me, but others have answered with similar replies now. I wanted to make sure that when you said '2 day' meetings you did mean that you would be going out and back on the same day rather than staying for 2 days.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rossmacd
This is probably the simplest form of nesting tickets, to take advantage of better pricing from different markets.

No downsides as such, I just find that with nesting you really have to be sure on your dates/times since if you need a change, it is generally 2 change fees (and fare differences) as opposed to just one.
Indeed, and the other potential problem - probably not one worth too much concern but for the fact that DUB and LHR is a wicked combination for weather irrops at this time of the year - is that had you bought more conventional tickets and you were in a "trip in vain" situation, given it's a day trip, you are in a better position to argue for a refund if it's below 5 hours, than with nested tickets.

But apart from that, anyone doing regulars should consider nesting; also perhaps look at FlightPass tickets too.
Flight Pass
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks all... now I know this is called NESTING.

As soon as I saw it in this thread, I saw another forum thread about nesting. I need to read more FlyerTalk forum threads and educate myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.