Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-Japan BA avios awards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:21 am

As you mentioned before, fares for residents in Japan are superexpensive so I am thinking booking an intraJapan flight with avios for me (resident in Europe) and my friend (resident in Japan). Do you think I can just book 2 tickets together via BA web site? Are those tickets good either for residents and tourists?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
They're not that expensive if purchased ahead and, in JAL's case, directly on their website. They don't release all fares to the bargain websites.

In answer to your question though, you can buy them on the BA website and they are good for anyone.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:45 am

Thanks for your help flyuk!
flyuk likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:01 pm

I’m currently in Japan and have a lot of Avios to use. Using them intra-Japan has been well worth it. I’ve also booked an Experience Japan fare on ANA to Okinawa for £99 return. The ANA Experience Japan and JAL Explorer Pass fares are very good rates for anyone with an international ticket starting outside Japan. Every domestic flight so far has been on a JAL 777-200 and -300, too. I’m hoping my Okinawa ANA flight will be on one of their 777 Star Wars livery aircraft. And finally, for plane spotters, Japan has pretty good observation decks at most airports.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Another Japan-related BA avios question:

In BA website, when I try to look for award flights, there is no way I can get the system to recognize Gimpo AIrport. The thing is JAL flies from Haneda to that airport and I always wanted to get an award on this route, but online it doesn't work (it shows Incheon though, but JAL doesn't fly Incheon).

What is the problem?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Not all routes have awards. There are a number of JAL routes that I can't use Avios for, departing from here (Sapporo).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyuk
Not all routes have awards. There are a number of JAL routes that I can't use Avios for, departing from here (Sapporo).
so it is not a BA website problem?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:33 pm

I guess that's a possibility, I can't find some of the airports, and others show no availability. Ever.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sodaisei
Another Japan-related BA avios question:

In BA website, when I try to look for award flights, there is no way I can get the system to recognize Gimpo AIrport. The thing is JAL flies from Haneda to that airport and I always wanted to get an award on this route, but online it doesn't work (it shows Incheon though, but JAL doesn't fly Incheon).

What is the problem?
just type GMP and don’t worry that it doesn’t auto complete. HND should work or try TYO if not. Click on search and GMP-HND flights should be shown - I found several rewards flights available yesterday as I happened to be looking at that route.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:41 am

That's really useful to know.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

just type GMP and don’t worry that it doesn’t auto complete. HND should work or try TYO if not. Click on search and GMP-HND flights should be shown - I found several rewards flights available yesterday as I happened to be looking at that route.
It works!

For some reason I can only find business class awards but that is a start...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi - am planning a trip to Japan in November and planning on using Avios to book some JAL flights:

- Take it that you are still not able to book Domestic flights until 2 months before departure? Slightly worried as no availability showing at the mo!
- Despite it apparently not being a bookable route using Avios, has anyone used Avios to book a flight from Seoul to Tokyo and slightly ot Shanghai to Seoul?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Hi - am planning a trip to Japan in November and planning on using Avios to book some JAL flights:

- Take it that you are still not able to book Domestic flights until 2 months before departure? Slightly worried as no availability showing at the mo!
- Despite it apparently not being a bookable route using Avios, has anyone used Avios to book a flight from Seoul to Tokyo and slightly ot Shanghai to Seoul?

Many thanks!
It seems the two month restriction continues for JL domestic flights. Just looking at a few routes there seems to be plenty of availability between 1-2 months out so I wouldn't worry, just set a note in your calendar two months before you need to fly and book on ba,.com.

Why do you think Seoul-Tokyo is not bookable with avios? I have booked that route before going in the other direction with no problems - search for the GMP-HND in book with avios, GMP won't auto-complete but just leave it as GMP and it will work. I tried a few days and there was availability and it does seem bookable more than two months out. Same for Shanghai to Tokyo, search for PVG-TYO will bring up the PVG-HND and PVG-NRT flights. Also bookable more than two months out.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
Originally Posted by londonba2014

Many thanks!
Worth checking regularly - especially for JAL, as they do open up late award inventory, I think, if loads are light enough). Some good value avios wards available, especially as taxes and fees are typically only a few £.

This may be obvious but make sure you are using Search and Book (partner availability - JAL, CX etc) rather than Reward Finder (which only shows BA award availability). Airport codes sometimes work better than auto complete for some reason, as others have said. Seoul (GMP) - TYO/HND/NRT should be possible with avios. No experience of Seoul to Shanghai though.

Regards

PR
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Huge thanks both KARFA and PorcoRosso - super helpful! Hadn't been using the airport codes, but having just done so managed to book a flight from Seoul to Tokyo. Will make a note r.e Domestic flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.