Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car seat & WTP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Car seat & WTP

I am wanting to purchase tickets on British Airways to travel from Canada to London. We want to book World Traveller Plus and will be travelling with our 2 year old. According to the BA website we cannot use the AmSafe system, but should be able to use his car seat in World Traveller Plus? If not we just use the seat belt to strap him in his seat?

Also we can fly on a 787 or 777. Is there a big difference between the world traveller plus cabins on these aircrafts?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
My personal experience points to simply putting a child that size in the existing seat with the belt. Bear in mind that WTP armrests do not raise so the child can't lie over your lap (which is possible in WT).
If the WTP seat map on the 777 is only four rows, it will be old and have poor TV screen.

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; Nov 12, 2017 at 7:25 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
WT seats in the A380 we flew in to Singapore with a 2 year old last week also don't have fully lifting armrests. We used a plane pal which was great, though it was an unusually smooth flight and we didn't get any turbulence seat belt notifications. The seatbelt was fine for takeoff and landing, We used a car seat the previous year and it was a complete PITA all the way through.

I'd fly WT over WT+ in this situation personally anyway. The additional "comfort" is moot and there are practical advantages in being able to confine a small child in a relatively enclosed space.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
My personal experience points to simply putting a child that size in the existing seat with the belt. Bear in mind that WTP armrests do not raise so the child can't lie over your lap (which is possible in WT).
If the WTP seat map on the 777 is only four rows, it will be old and have poor TV screen.
It looks as if the 777 has 3 rows, does that mean it is newer?

How well do the WTP seats recline? Would he be comfortable without the car seat in a reclined position? I am also thinking since the car seat has to be forward facing that he wouldn't be comfortable at all having to sit up straight in his car seat.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
WT seats in the A380 we flew in to Singapore with a 2 year old last week also don't have fully lifting armrests. We used a plane pal which was great, though it was an unusually smooth flight and we didn't get any turbulence seat belt notifications. The seatbelt was fine for takeoff and landing, We used a car seat the previous year and it was a complete PITA all the way through.

I'd fly WT over WT+ in this situation personally anyway. The additional "comfort" is moot and there are practical advantages in being able to confine a small child in a relatively enclosed space.
Does WTP not have more leg room? I have very bad knees, so I need the extra space to stretch out.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:01 am

You'll get widely differing views on here, but I think there's a huge difference in comfort between WT and WT+.

There's 6 or 7 inches extra legroom and that makes all the difference to me.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:31 am

It does depend on your height. I have enough legroom in WT at a squeeze (5'10) but fly WT+ for preference for work mostly because I'm not paying the extra myself, the food is a bit better and it's generally a better experience solo. The seats do recline a long way, and it's pretty common to get your IFE in your face at at WT seat separation distances if you have a full recline merchant in front.

For travelling with the toddler I'd either go business on a good deal, or stick in WT. I don't see the price differential to WT+ as good value for money, but as I say I fit happily in a WT pitch seat.

the only way you find out for sure is to try it. Opinions do vary a lot.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:34 am

PS do consider the plane pal - if it fits in WT+ it's a great way of making a lie flat bed
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
PS do consider the plane pal - if it fits in WT+ it's a great way of making a lie flat bed
I would presume the reason why someone wants to use a car seat or Amsafe on a plane is for safety reasons.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have never heard of the plane pal. Will have to check it out.

One of the flights we are looking at is LGW - YYZ on a 777. Will this be a refurbished plane?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by CBear
I would presume the reason why someone wants to use a car seat or Amsafe on a plane is for safety reasons.
car seats are designed to be safe in a sudden impact situation. Flight safety is more about the dangers from turbulence. That's why standard seat belts are rudimentary and the impact protection is via bracing. So you don't really get more safe using a car seat. Our experience was that it didn't allow the boy to sleep comfortably either, and getting it in and out was awkward. Also the recline from the seat in front caused space problems. So although good in theory it failed the practicality test. We checked it in this time.

Planepal was much better, though theoretically you have to deflate it during turbulence. He slept 8 hours of the twelve in two spells, curled up comfortably. We had written (tweet) permission from BA to show the crew if they were unfamiliar with it, but wasn't an issue.

i don't see why it wouldn't work in WT+ but it's a nice snug fit in WT. It's below the recline point of the seat in front for both.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
I would take 787 over 777 WT+ any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.