Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE Catering

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by JMurray
I was missing a meal last Friday on my way up to NCL (1336) due to the fog causing disruption meaning they didn't load any catering.

Called-in today was offered an apology and 3,000 avios or a £20 e-voucher which seemed reasonable to me.

Suggest the OP does the same.
I've said it before here, but in July/August I had five domestic CE flights where my special meal wasn't loaded (to/from LCY) and I was offered nothing onboard and my dealings with the CS team (and twitter team) were met with a decisive "sorry but there's nothing we can do. stop bothering us, your case is closed".

terrible customer service.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Originally Posted by JMurray
I was missing a meal last Friday on my way up to NCL (1336) due to the fog causing disruption meaning they didn't load any catering.

Called-in today was offered an apology and 3,000 avios or a £20 e-voucher which seemed reasonable to me.

Suggest the OP does the same.

Thanks for this - I'll give them a call and do the same. I'm not so fussed about compensation as such, but I'd like BA to stop this for others... It's just really ignorant behaviour for an airline. They shouldn't sell what they already know they can't provide.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I can't understand the BA mentality that decides the marginal extra cost of providing an M&S choice isn't worthwhile to help build customer satisfaction. I've AUPed on inbound legs quite often (although not sure if they have time to adjust catering even on ex-LON), very occasionally been told there may be no catering on board for me, but about 80% of the time there has been food anyway so if the M&S option was offered to cover missing meals it would only come into play occasionally IME.

Only downside I can see is that other J pax may see one of their number eating M&S and then grumble that they would prefer that option as well. Two possible solutions to that would be:
  • CSM to offer highest status pax in CE an M&S choice to free up a standard meal, so most valued pax at least are happier;
  • BA to give up on the largely enjoyable but ultimately repetitive CE meals to offer complimentary M&S instead.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
So they should sell the seats as domestic economy. What they shouldn't do is sell them as Club Europe, take the money, and then inform the passenger when they board that they won't get the product they paid for. It's borderline theft.
The product they paid is not a meal or not just a meal. But, again, let other people decide for themselves what they want to pay for. Not many would say that not getting a meal is not getting the product they paid for. Someone who finds a meal important may choose to fly in economy or travel on a different flight, while someone who does not care a bit about a meal may choose to fly on that particular flight with no meal. Everyone's happy.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I can't understand the BA mentality that decides the marginal extra cost of providing an M&S choice isn't worthwhile to help build customer satisfaction. [/LIST]
Completely agree. Surely once a month / quarter BA receives it's kick back from the sales. Why not just reduce this amount by any freebies given away. Doesn't seem too far fetched. Customer who receives freebie signs off on point of sale machine. Done
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold and Virgin Gold, HH Diamond
Their catering is poor

To be fair not getting a meal on a BA flight is no great loss. The whole catering dept needs sacked. Its the same rubbish week in week out. One of the current offerings is chicken with coronation dressing and chicken without it. Seriously it's good protein but is that the best they can come up with!

Not strictly for this thread but the lounge catering is a shocker. It's been the same menu for who knows how many years!! When you are there every week its mundane and tasteless.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not a BA special, I have had a similar problem on EDI-FRA quite recently courtesy of Lufthansa, albeit of lesser impact due to the time of day in that case.
So have I, although it was LHR-MUC and it was at a meal time. No automatic compensation and I couldn't be bothered asking for any so I put it down to experience, like "rubbish happens", as LH was pretty good to me overall.

It wasn't due to a late booking - there was no catering for any business class passengers. Having said that, LH short haul catering for that length of flight is not suitable for those who are hungry so I don't think I missed much.

Even though the catering is not the reason why I book CE (guaranteed empty middle seat is the reason), I do think BA should over cater a bit to account for late booking passengers.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:17 am

Yes unfortunately this happens...once it's 24 hours and under.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
On a contrary data point, I booked a GLA-LHR sector a few months ago just over 3 hours prior to departure. Full catering was loaded for me (both options), despite being the only CE passenger on it - crew advised that it was brought to the plane just prior to departure from LHR. The reports of no catering being loaded were certainly around then so was pleasantly surprised...

Last edited by Beaulieu; Nov 8, 2017 at 10:54 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:51 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
So have I, although it was LHR-MUC and it was at a meal time. No automatic compensation and I couldn't be bothered asking for any so I put it down to experience, like "rubbish happens", as LH was pretty good to me overall.

It wasn't due to a late booking - there was no catering for any business class passengers. Having said that, LH short haul catering for that length of flight is not suitable for those who are hungry so I don't think I missed much.

Even though the catering is not the reason why I book CE (guaranteed empty middle seat is the reason), I do think BA should over cater a bit to account for late booking passengers.
I once booked DUS-FRA-PRG in LH J about 30 minutes before departure time, it took the airport ticket counter several phone calls to even get the ticket issued. Full catering on both flights. There were also several other last second bookings on those flights due to bad IRROPS.

What BA is doing is not normal or ok.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:53 am

Telling that BA can predict when to over sell flights (which makes them money) but seems not to be so skilled at predicting when they will need an extra meal (which costs them money).

Go figure....
bafan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:18 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
This happened to me on Air France last month... They always have contingency non-perishable business meals on hand, nothing I really like to be honest but something... foie gras, salmon terrine, some premium crackers, snack pack of dried fruit and nuts, chocolate/ Carmel tarts. Shows it can be done. Also offered €50 flight voucher or €25 for in flight duty free.

Seems I get treated better as a non-member on AF than as a gold, turning GGL/CCR holder this week on BA.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Congrats amt, enjoy the CCR ^
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:22 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by amt
This happened to me on Air France last month... They always have contingency non-perishable business meals on hand, nothing I really like to be honest but something... foie gras, salmon terrine, some premium crackers, snack pack of dried fruit and nuts, chocolate/ Carmel tarts. Shows it can be done. Also offered €50 flight voucher or €25 for in flight duty free.

Seems I get treated better as a non-member on AF than as a gold, turning GGL/CCR holder this week on BA.
I'd take foie gras and salmon terrine over any European J meal I've had
LTN Phobia, nivsy, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:27 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by C W
I'd take foie gras and salmon terrine over any European J meal I've had
It was tinned, dry as the Sahara desert, luckily they were hovering over me at all times making sure the champagne glass stayed full
Geordie405 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.