Wiki Posts
Search

No problems with a 2-4-1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
No problems with a 2-4-1

After all the issues with people worrying about involuntary downgrades on companion vouchers and poor service from BA I'd just like to report a successful trip.

Out to HKG in F on a 773, back in J on a 388. Clean seats, excellent service both ways from friendly staff. Cost of £500 each and 172,000 avios plus a companion voucher.

First time in the CCR, dinner was tasty and service for dinner was excellent but the decor is nothing to write home about really and the service in the rest of the lounge was not good (perhaps because we weren't regulars

Thanks also to flyertalk folk for all the good information including the lounge descriptions for HKG. Nice glass of champagne at the Wing, and very good dinner at the Pier (it's a bit of a walk to get there); no time to visit the Qantas lounge this time.
Ldnn1, mikeyfly and marshy11 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A nice result! I'm faintly jealous, as it's costing us something like that for LGW-CPT, J both ways in a 777
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for that, it's not a bad idea if some of those who have successfully used 2-4-1 vouchers recently (either the UK or USA versions) could perhaps indicate when things have gone OK. We know that a number of FTers have expressed significant concern about this, and it would help give a measure of reassurance that downgrading isn't a common event.

I hope you had a good time in Hong Kong too, an amazing city and it should be on everyone's list to visit at some point.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taking your point, c-w-s, no problems with our 2-4-1 use to date (ANU, KIN and CPT). Only the ANU was F, the others were J. Another CPT J next month

Last edited by T8191; Nov 4, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Nice time in HK

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for that, it's not a bad idea if some of those who have successfully used 2-4-1 vouchers recently (either the UK or USA versions) could perhaps indicate when things have gone OK. We know that a number of FTers have expressed significant concern about this, and it would help give a measure of reassurance that downgrading isn't a common event.

I hope you had a good time in Hong Kong too, an amazing city and it should be on everyone's list to visit at some point.
Yes, we had a great time, weather was fantastic, and recommend the Pottinger hotel and especially the Upper House (wonderful room and service but a bit pricey). Of course saving approx £7500 off the normal flight cost using avios and 2-4-1 meant we did not get too guilty about staying in the #1 hotel in HK!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:02 pm

Thank you for posting. I am new to posting here (although an avid reader - I'm just tardy in posting) and have a 2-4-1 for our first First next week (to BOS).

We had booked it some time ago and MyFlights alerted us to an aircraft change and we were downgraded to J (no F on the change). A quick call to You First and they moved us to another F - despite no reward availability. I'm very thankful for that.

There are various alternatives and we are flexible so hope that whatever happens we fly out in F.

I'm glad it worked well for you and hope you have/had a wonderful time.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:03 pm

Just a quick note to say that I had no problems at all too! Booked four F seats (somehow!) to Miami last year for travel at the beginning of October. Kept checking and seeing the cabin filling up made me nervous, but all was fine! Returned in J from Orlando, again 4 seats and again, no problems!

Ben
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Both my 2-4-1 in F have been very successful and comfortable this year (strike impacted service once but that’s not 2-4-1 related) third one end of December sure it’ll be fine too
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
We’ve used 241s for years.

2017 - Seattle in CW in August - perfect
2016 - Toronto in F in August - perfect
2015 - Grenada in CW in August - perfect
2014 - Punta Cana in CW in August - perfect

Need I go on?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by firstlight
Yes, we had a great time, weather was fantastic, and recommend the Pottinger hotel and especially the Upper House (wonderful room and service but a bit pricey). Of course saving approx £7500 off the normal flight cost using avios and 2-4-1 meant we did not get too guilty about staying in the #1 hotel in HK!
That reflects our 2-4-1 philosophy, flawed though it might be. Save on flights, splurge on hotel[s]. Our Honeymoon Suite on our last KIN exemplified that.
atcer28 and firstlight like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by firstlight
Upper House (wonderful room and service but a bit pricey)
Great choice...really is top class.

Glad to hear you had a great trip and enjoyed HK!
firstlight likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Used a few over the years from ABZ with no problems
2014 - LAs Vegas in F
2015 - Vancouver in F
2016 - Los Angeles in F
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Great to hear. Flying F to Mumbai on Thursday with 2 241s. Currently showing no seats for sale and one seat not selected. Hoping we’ll be alright and get to enjoy our first time turning left!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
All of my trips have gone without a hitch too. Last one was r/t to Japan using a 241 and infant ticket outbound, but my daughter turned 2 during trip so had her own seat on inbound. 3 out of 8 seats in F cabin and only paid for 1 seat, plus the 10% infant fare... no issues!

Honestly, I think people are reading into this way too much. Down and upgrades WILL happen, but don’t think 241s are especially targeted. And before someone says that “your CIV as a GGL gets you protection”, I can say that it didn’t protect my first choice meals on 2 out of my last 4 F flights :-(

but that is another story!
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Used 241s for many years without a problem.
golfmad and 'andad like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.